Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Anyone think there might be any truth to some interest in Oshie on the org's part?

Of course we are interested. Who wouldn't be? But unless we're moving Hornqvist or Hagelin, I don't see it happening. That is, of course, if he even makes it to the open market.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I thought the rumour (Madden rumour no less) was that he wanted us to be interested but we weren't...?

We're stocked for wingers and his next contract could be a long term killer. I don't see the interest.

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
I would take Hanzal at 1 million more per year over Bonino. I'm not really a fan of either player as iirc Hanzal is more dirty than tough, and I often find Bonino's passiveness really grating.

Overall they're pretty close in value. Both are good 2-way, third line centers with roughly the same career production (around 0.5 ppg). Neither has the speed to seamlessly fit into our system. Bonino is a bit younger and not as injury-prone yet (with his insane shot-blocking it's only a question of time IMO). Hanzal is much bigger and more aggressive. Over the last three seasons he's averaged 2.2 hits per game compared to Bonino's 0.5. Hanzal would also immediately become our best faceoff man, he's been in the 55-57% range over the past few years. Bonino only cracked the 50% mark once (50.44% in 15-16) in that time.

I think size, physicality and faceoffs are three areas we need to improve upon. Hanzal replacing Bonino would provide all of that - at no loss of team speed or points production. If that costs 1 million extra so be it.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
No kidding. I'll take Bonino even if the price were the same. I don't trust Hanzal to be durable enough, and he's not going to block shots with his face the way a guy like Bonino would. Bones is a playoff warrior. People can rightfully criticize his production, but that's why he's just close enough within reach of us being able to retain him for a contract we can afford.

The devil you know in this case is PROVEN chemistry on a team that just won 2 cups. Hanzal is the grass appearing greener on the other side.

Yeah, you can't overlook the fact that Bonino is/was willing to do a pretty crappy job here. Jordan Staal didn't want to do it, and I'm not so sure Hanzal would either. He's made a good living being a two way, or offense-first guy in ARI. Maybe he's willing to block shots and play in the trenches for 3 or 4 years here on a team-friendly deal, or maybe he'll just sign a 4.5m deal with ARI or another bottom feeder and make his money each year then go golfing.

Bonino is going to get pitched easier usage and more money somewhere else, and honestly, the dude should take it. He's earned it. JR will need to find the next guy willing to sacrifice like that. But he won't be paying 5M a year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I kind of waiver back and forth on Bones vs Hanzal. Really depends on what type of $ each are looking for.

First guy to sign for 4 or under, i sign up. Could push that to 4.2 maybe max but thats it.

Id certainly have a chat with Thornton and say look we can pay you 4.5 for 1 yr to chase a Cup.

Either way i think we ll sign one of these 3. If not well have to go for the Vermette s or Boyle s or the trade route.

Imperative we get a good FO guy.

I have no doubt that JRs top priorities are the 3 and 4C s and possibly beefing up the D. Wingers are the last thing on his mind right now when you have Sprong and possibly ZAR coming very soon. Not to mention we still have Simon in the mix and complimentary wingers coming out the yin yang(Archy, DiPauli, Bleuger can play wing, Josephs, possibly Tiffels this year or next)
Only PIT things ive heard so far is still having interest in Duchene and possible interest in Galchenyuk.
So 3C is deffo on JRs mind.

3 and possibly the 4C FO ability a must. D beef up. Adding some toughness and or size in the process. Clearly where he s focusing on.

Last edited:

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
Yeah, you can't overlook the fact that Bonino is/was willing to do a pretty crappy job here. Jordan Staal didn't want to do it, and I'm not so sure Hanzal would either. He's made a good living being a two way, or offense-first guy in ARI. Maybe he's willing to block shots and play in the trenches for 3 or 4 years here on a team-friendly deal, or maybe he'll just sign a 4.5m deal with ARI or another bottom feeder and make his money each year then go golfing.

Bonino is going to get pitched easier usage and more money somewhere else, and honestly, the dude should take it. He's earned it. JR will need to find the next guy willing to sacrifice like that. But he won't be paying 5M a year.

I think by now everyone around the league knows that the 3C spot on the Pittsburgh Penguins under Mike Sullivan is a great position to have.

I may be wrong but I think Bonino was a one-off. Chances are, we're not going to find a guy like that for $1.9M. And he seriously regressed in his 2nd season here, like it or not. I'd rather see us hedge our bets and go after a top-end Centre for our 3C and there's lots of options for that at the moment:
  1. Duchene (trade)
  2. Joe Thornton
  3. Patrick Marleau
  4. Alex Galchenyuk (trade)
  5. Sam Gagner
  6. Patrick Sharp

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I do kinda wonder if JR will dangle Hags out there though with the intention on going after the top FA s.

But on the other hand, JRs M.O. since being here is to not spend large amounts of $ in FA y. He seems to like the smaller acqusitions and trading route more. With his analytics staff, he can search and get those cheaper and just as effective guys.

I think his FA signing of Semin in CAR really gives him pause in that regard now.
But thats not to say him and his analytics staff wouldnt look at top FA s and collectively believe itd be a good way to go.
But the large $ and term deals like the Semin one, the Backes and Okposo ones last year.
Those are the ones he doesnt wanna touch anymore.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Agreed. 4x4m would be where I'd start to get uncomfortable. Front load the crap out of it as much as possible so that come year 3/4 it's easy to trade if need be.

Agreed. 4x4 is the max number. I could live with that. Anything higher would be too much.

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
That is what separated us from other teams tho. Having bones who was basically a 2c and Cullen who played like a 3c.

I agree Bonino is underappreciated but I think he's played like a third line center for his time here.

I expect Bonino to score 12-15 goals, accumulate around 30-40 points while being good defensively and on the PK. Those are third line center numbers.

If Bonino wants anything over $3.750M for one or two years then I'd be fine with letting him walk. There aren't too many options in free agency so Rutherford is either going to have to swing a trade or this team will have to gain confidence in Sundqvist.

The good news is a third line center isn't really a priority for the Penguins. I'd say re-signing Dumoulin and Schultz would be my biggest priority right now. If the Penguins start the season with Sundqvist and it doesn't work out, they can always make a trade at the deadline for a third line center.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Do you think Sundqvist even makes the team this year? I'm not sure whose stock has fallen more, Sundqvist or Maatta.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
The next 2 weeks will be pretty telling. If JR starts making trades and shedding salary, one could probably imagine he's got some plans in free agency.

I think the trade route is better, as there should be trades available before the expansion draft. I think Oshie is on the wrong side of 30 and he's a RW.

I think people are nuts who would sign Hanzal to a 5m+ deal. Completely off the reservation. He is a guy who has never once been healthy in his entire career.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Do you think Sundqvist even makes the team this year? I'm not sure whose stock has fallen more, Sundqvist or Maatta.

Sundqvist's stock hasn't fallen. If anything I think he did himself some favors this season having a good offensive season in WBS.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I agree Bonino is underappreciated but I think he's played like a third line center for his time here.

I expect Bonino to score 12-15 goals, accumulate around 30-40 points while being good defensively and on the PK. Those are third line center numbers.

If Bonino wants anything over $3.750M for one or two years then I'd be fine with letting him walk. There aren't too many options in free agency so Rutherford is either going to have to swing a trade or this team will have to gain confidence in Sundqvist.

The good news is a third line center isn't really a priority for the Penguins. I'd say re-signing Dumoulin and Schultz would be my biggest priority right now. If the Penguins start the season with Sundqvist and it doesn't work out, they can always make a trade at the deadline for a third line center.

Signing Dumo and Schultz are just formalities at this point. Only a matter of when.
Id be pretty livid if they started the season with Sundqvist as their 3C.
This is a team with 3-peat aspirations and money to spend this off-season.
They better start with a helluva lot better than that, even if its just bringing Bones back.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
Could Chris Stewart be a potential cheap to acquire candidate? He would add toughness and can move reliably up and down the lineup. He also has a low salary and will be entering FA. As long as we aren't necessarily looking for 20-20 production, I think he's a good fit.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
These are the kinds of logic I don't understand. People freak out when suggesting going up to 4M or 4.5M for Bonino, but they'll pay more for Hanzal? Like I've said, the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

Hanzal is a lot better of a player than Bonino, though. The only thing that Bonino has on Hanzal is that Bonino gets hurt less often. Hanzal is:

-Better offensively, Hanzal is a 20 goal, 50 point player per 82 games while Bonino is a 15 goal, 35-40 point player per 82 games
-Much better at faceoffs, Hanzal's faceoff% over the last 2 years is at 56.2% to 49% for Bonino
-More physical, 2 hits/game over the last 2 years for Hanzal to .5 hits/game over the last 2 years for Bonino
-Obviously much bigger
-A much better possession player, Bonino's a negative Corsi Rel player while Hanzal is a significantly positive Corsi Rel player

The only way Bonino and Hanzal are equal is that they're probably equal defensively plus they're both about the same in terms of skating. But Hanzal is pretty clearly better the rest of the way. I wouldn't go above $4.5 million for Hanzal (just like I wouldn't go above $3.5 million for Bonino), but you're seriously underrating Hanzal or overrating Bonino. Hanzal's a legitimate 2nd line center, Bonino is about as bland of a 3rd line center as you can find.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
aside from the penguins, i'm particularly interested to see what guerin does with wbs. what types of players he will add. who he gets.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Could Chris Stewart be a potential cheap to acquire candidate? He would add toughness and can move reliably up and down the lineup. He also has a low salary and will be entering FA. As long as we aren't necessarily looking for 20-20 production, I think he's a good fit.

In the past, I was interested in Stewart because I thought he could be Crosby's Neal, but he obviously isn't that player anymore. However, he's actually a pretty effective bottom-6 winger today and I believe he can skate pretty well. I'd really like him actually on a 4th line role, he's a guy that can definitely play up in the lineup and he brings some toughness.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Stewart rediscovers his scoring touch if he came here with Malkin or Crosby? Guentzel-Crosby-Stewart destroying the NHL, I like it :laugh:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Over the years, it seems that GMJR is like the Canadian Mounted Police; Always getting him man. He did that with regard to acquiring Phil. He came very close, in fact it was rumored that he felt he had acquired Hanzal at the TDL. So I do expect him to make a run at Hanzal.

The same could be said regarding his pursuit of Duchene or Oshie; each of who were once pursued by JR. Now, I do not expect the Pens to go after all three; but, they might get one or two.

All in all, these are interesting time, especially sitting there with back to back cups.

I don't know. JR was really interested in bringing Jordan Staal back, remember that rumor? It died when the realization came that he was too expensive for our cap situation.

Hanzal will likely be similarly too expensive for us. Centers with his size will command a ton as a UFA. We have no need to get into that kind of bidding war.

Does Hanzal really fit the description of "tough" though? He's physical, but he's not exactly what I'd picture as the type who'd drop the gloves with anyone who tried to cheap shot Crosby or Malkin.*

*This isn't about whether that's a good strategy or not (ie. getting a "fighter". Just that, *IF* that is JR's plan, I don't know how Hanzal fits that role.

These are my thoughts, exactly.

The only thing that Bonino has on Hanzal is that Bonino gets hurt less often.

Well, unfortunately for us that is a MAJOR thing. We have to expect our top two guys to miss time every season. Having a fragile No. 3 who would command big money makes no sense.

I think there might be some under-the-radar candidates for us at the 3C spot. I'd be interested on July 1 in Brandon Pirri, for example. He has played all three forward positions in the NHL. The Rangers reportedly will not qualify him, making him UFA. Pirri can be a 3C or 4C, or he can play even higher up as a winger. Won't probably ask for much money, moreso for better opportunities. He could also be a key guy on our second PP unit. Not really a two-way guy, but with Rowney/Sundqvist expected to take over the 4C duties (and be a big key on the PK), maybe that is less of an issue.

There will be more guys like Pirri made available on July 1, too, if he does not tickle your fancy.

I'd like a guy with some offensive upside, maybe even someone who can lead the third line without being forced to drop Kessel down there.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Stewart would fit the mold of the type of guy that JR was speaking of. I'd like him on the 3LW spot. He can move up and down the lineup.

He's so enigmatic. On one hand he's a fantastic specimen that has a gigantic frame, insane strength, a bullet for a shot, and really good wheels. On the other hand he has absolutely no idea how to make the most of his skills. With him I don't know if its because he's impossible to coach, has a terrible attitude, or just isn't smart enough to put it all together.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, unfortunately for us that is a MAJOR thing. We have to expect our top two guys to miss time every season. Having a fragile No. 3 who would command big money makes no sense.

Meh, as long as he's healthy for the playoffs, I don't really care how many regular season games he's missing. Injuries aren't a problem for me because I already don't care about the regular season.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Stewart would fit the mold of the type of guy that JR was speaking of. I'd like him on the 3LW spot. He can move up and down the lineup.

He's so enigmatic. On one hand he's a fantastic specimen that has a gigantic frame, insane strength, a bullet for a shot, and really good wheels. On the other hand he has absolutely no idea how to make the most of his skills. With him I don't know if its because he's impossible to coach, has a terrible attitude, or just isn't smart enough to put it all together.

Whatever it is, he is worth the gamble. Unless he asks for too much money (or wants more ice time).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Meh, as long as he's healthy for the playoffs, I don't really care how many regular season games he's missing. Injuries aren't a problem for me because I already don't care about the regular season.

Well, as we saw with Letang this year, players can't always magically get healthy enough to perform in the postseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad