Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have a feeling that Bonino goes to Edmonton after they throw money at him. The only thing the Oilers are missing for a solid playoff team is a few playoff warriors like Bonino.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
That's just unnecessary though and there aren't many guys like that available. I'd be completely fine with bringing Bonino back if he wasn't asking for a ridiculous amount of money.

That is what separated us from other teams tho. Having bones who was basically a 2c and Cullen who played like a 3c.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I'm starting to think if Rutherford is serious about getting a player that'll bring toughness into the lineup and can play, he's gonna go after Hanzal.

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
I like Hanzal cause of his size. I have no idea how he skates. If it's not great and Hanzal wants too much money/term, then rather have Thornton for 1 year and go after Jarnkrok for a 4th line center. And then the year after Jarnkrok can replace Thornton on the third line and Sundqvist can replace Jarnkrok on the 4th.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
I like Hanzal cause of his size. I have no idea how he skates. If it's not great and Hanzal wants too much money/term, then rather have Thornton for 1 year and go after Jarnkrok for a 4th line center. And then the year after Jarnkrok can replace Thornton on the third line and Sundqvist can replace Jarnkrok on the 4th.

Can't say Hanzal is a great skater but I don't think he's much worse than Bonino's either.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
At no point this season did Bonino play like a 2C for more than a game or two in a row.

He was a second liner when we got him. He played like one in last years playoffs. Yeah he wasn't good most of the season. But picked it up towards the end with 9 goals in last 18 games. Still scored some clutch goals in the playoffs but no...he didnt play as good as last year.

Doesn't take away from the fact we base our model off of having great center depth. Guys like Sheahan(who wings fans want off their team) aren't players I'm interested in for the 3rd line.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I have a feeling that Bonino goes to Edmonton after they throw money at him. The only thing the Oilers are missing for a solid playoff team is a few playoff warriors like Bonino.

I think Montreal will make a massive offer for Bonino. Just my gut feeling.

Hanzal is very brittle. I don't want to sign guys who have a Letang-like history when it comes to injuries. He is hard to play against, but I wouldn't really call Hanzal overly tough.

He is not going to prevent much out there, he is a very good two-way center when healthy. That is about it.

If JR is serious about adding toughness, there are better and far more obvious choices out there.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think JR was in on Hanzal at the deadline, so with that logic, I could definitely see him throwing some money at Hanzal to come to Pittsburgh.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
I think JR was in on Hanzal at the deadline, so with that logic, I could definitely see him throwing some money at Hanzal to come to Pittsburgh.

Hanzal has made about $20m in his career so far, with no sniff of a cup. If he wants one, he can take a reasonable deal with us for a couple years I suppose. I'm not thrilled about him due to injury history, but if he wanted to come here and was willing to be flexible, I'd certainly see about making it work.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
The Penguins got lucky last year too? It's also funny that you say "you seem to forget how we looked when we're trapped in our own zone". Isn't getting guys that can, you know, get the puck out of the zone the best way to not look awful when trapped? Why not instead of bringing in players that can knock other people down when we're stuck in our own zone, we bring in players that can prevent us from getting stuck in our own zone?

I want guy's that can do both.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

**** yeah I forgot about that. If I remember correctly we were after him just as much as Shattenkirk but weren't interested in overpaying.

And that was with Bonino still here and having to use assets. With Hanzal's **** performance in Minnesota, maybe JR and his camp can meet somewhere in the middle.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
Over the years, it seems that GMJR is like the Canadian Mounted Police; Always getting him man. He did that with regard to acquiring Phil. He came very close, in fact it was rumored that he felt he had acquired Hanzal at the TDL. So I do expect him to make a run at Hanzal.

The same could be said regarding his pursuit of Duchene or Oshie; each of who were once pursued by JR. Now, I do not expect the Pens to go after all three; but, they might get one or two.

All in all, these are interesting time, especially sitting there with back to back cups.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hanzal has made about $20m in his career so far, with no sniff of a cup. If he wants one, he can take a reasonable deal with us for a couple years I suppose. I'm not thrilled about him due to injury history, but if he wanted to come here and was willing to be flexible, I'd certainly see about making it work.

I'd honestly go up to $4.5 million a season for Hanzal without even blinking. It's definitely a lot, but I'd do it with no hesitation.

**** yeah I forgot about that. If I remember correctly we were after him just as much as Shattenkirk but weren't interested in overpaying.

And that was with Bonino still here and having to use assets. With Hanzal's **** performance in Minnesota, maybe JR and his camp can meet somewhere in the middle.

I don't know about that, but I do specifically remember that the Penguins were interested in him. It seemed like JR was interested in basically everyone available though, so maybe it doesn't apply. But with the Penguins losing Bonino, lacking a 3C and JR saying he wants to add toughness to the roster, I could definitely see a match here.

I want guy's that can do both.

And I want to win the lottery, but believe it or not, it's extremely rare to do that.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
Hanzal would be a home run 3C for us. The injury concerns are worth it, because the prices for players are going to be sky high via trade. Because of expansion, teams are fighting hard just to feel like they aren't going backwards.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just got in and checked stuff over.

Beaulieu for a 3rd. Given our lack of depth, I would have taken him for a 3rd.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
My concern with Hanzal is how often he's injured. Not a great thing considering we know Malkin is likely going to be out 15 or 20 games or so. If we could nab him AND a guy like Boyle, that'd be nice.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Does Hanzal really fit the description of "tough" though? He's physical, but he's not exactly what I'd picture as the type who'd drop the gloves with anyone who tried to cheap shot Crosby or Malkin.*

*This isn't about whether that's a good strategy or not (ie. getting a "fighter". Just that, *IF* that is JR's plan, I don't know how Hanzal fits that role.

BustaKapanen

May 14, 2011
Does Hanzal really fit the description of "tough" though? He's physical, but he's not exactly what I'd picture as the type who'd drop the gloves with anyone who tried to cheap shot Crosby or Malkin.*

*This isn't about whether that's a good strategy or not (ie. getting a "fighter". Just that, *IF* that is JR's plan, I don't know how Hanzal fits that role.

The more I think about it, it could be smoke but I really believe JR is gonna address it. Something I was thinking about after the beiliou trade, is buffalo might not protect bogosian now. Is that someone to consider trying to work out with vegas. His tag is alil steep at 5m per but it's for 3more years and he's only 26.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
With Jarnkrok and Lowry out, my three would be Haula, Karlsson and Sheahan. Haula and Karlsson via Vegas, Sheahan via Detroit.

Why is Jarnkrok/Lowry out? Also what would the cost be for Jarnkrok, Haula, Petrovic, Schmidt be? Jarnkrok as 3C and Haula as 4C since Sully likes rolling 4 lines.

edit- Nvm just read page 1 Neal will be exposed over Jarnkrok.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'd love a guy who's a legit second liner at centre. Too right that our success has had a lot to do with centre depth. Not overly happy with pencilling in Sundqvist there but gotta give the kids a go.

I'd also love a dman who can slam people around and move the puck great. That would be awesome for us.

And I'd also love a flying unicorn that can excrete beer.

If my faith in Rutherford's ability to find assets at bargain prices is too low, then I will be overjoyed.

But free agency looks dead, hardly anyone's looking to move those players according to the trade rumours, and they're scarce enough to command some pretty hefty overpayments.

As such, getting a solid two-way 3C with room to grow and a decent period of team control and any dman who can defend, skate and move the puck would be a win in my book.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'd love a guy who's a legit second liner at centre. Too right that our success has had a lot to do with centre depth. Not overly happy with pencilling in Sundqvist there but gotta give the kids a go.

I'd also love a dman who can slam people around and move the puck great. That would be awesome for us.

And I'd also love a flying unicorn that can excrete beer.

If my faith in Rutherford's ability to find assets at bargain prices is too low, then I will be overjoyed.

But free agency looks dead, hardly anyone's looking to move those players according to the trade rumours, and they're scarce enough to command some pretty hefty overpayments.

As such, getting a solid two-way 3C with room to grow and a decent period of team control and any dman who can defend, skate and move the puck would be a win in my book.

Crosby
Malkin
Duchene
Haula

That would be scary down the middle.:laugh: Also pretty good on faceoffs as Haula is 53% and Duchene is what? top 3 in faceoffs? both are excellent on the PK and great 2 way centers and can skate pretty well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany