Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread VI | Contract/FA charts in Post #1 | CAP SET at $75M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
from that article regarding sundqvist,

paraphrased: rutherford says he expects sundqvist to make the team as the 3/4 line center

So basically what everyone else expected :laugh:

I'm surprised he's alluding to the possibility that Sundqvist will be the 3C, though. That's not what I expected.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Your points would be more valid if the Penguins hadn't won 2 cups in a row. But they did.

I seriously don't see toughness as an issue on this team. But JR does, so he can fix that. Under the pretense of wanting toughness, I want to bring in guys that impact how this team plays the absolute least. A defenseman wouldn't do that, he'd actually impact how this team plays the most. A bottom-6 winger, preferably a 4th liner, would do exactly that.

we got lucky...and that's not a good thing to count on. you also seem to forget how we looked when we got trapped in our end. or all the times it was our players laying on the ice instead of theirs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
we got lucky...and that's not a good thing to count on. you also seem to forget how we looked when we got trapped in our end. or all the times it was our players laying on the ice instead of theirs

The Penguins got lucky last year too? It's also funny that you say "you seem to forget how we looked when we're trapped in our own zone". Isn't getting guys that can, you know, get the puck out of the zone the best way to not look awful when trapped? Why not instead of bringing in players that can knock other people down when we're stuck in our own zone, we bring in players that can prevent us from getting stuck in our own zone?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pretty amazing. A team badly in need of more offense to win a Cup, is possibly willingly losing one of their best scorers. And they really only have Forsberg and Johansen as better offensive players. Maybe Fiala or Arvidsson.

Exactly. I get Jarnkrok's value long term... but they still need to score goals and Neal even with his flaws was still their 3rd best forward in that dept - and there's really no one even close to him in that regard.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Pretty amazing. A team badly in need of more offense to win a Cup, is possibly willingly losing one of their best scorers. And they really only have Forsberg and Johansen as better offensive players. Maybe Fiala or Arvidsson.

They have some young guys who can take that next step. Will likely add to their forward group as well.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
From that article JR also mentioned he expects Sundqvist to be our third or fourth line center.

I'm a little nervous about that. I thought Sunny looked awful in his call-ups this year. He was good last year though when called upon.

It is what it is though and he's got to get a chance sooner or later. I just hope we're not suddenly a team short on depth down the middle. I don't want to go back to the days of being a team that does nothing when the bottom six is on the ice.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
From that article JR also mentioned he expects Sundqvist to be our third or fourth line center.

I'm a little nervous about that. I thought Sunny looked awful in his call-ups this year. He was good last year though when called upon.

It is what it is though and he's got to get a chance sooner or later. I just hope we're not suddenly a team short on depth down the middle. I don't want to go back to the days of being a team that does nothing when the bottom six is on the ice.

I'm not too worried. I think Sundqvist looked the exact same that every other young player on the Penguins outside of Guentzel looked when they came into the NHL.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Sunny was looking great before his injury. I think he will be fine next year. If not, JR will make some moves during the season.

And if that doesn't work...JR calls up Cullen and tells him to get ready for the playoffs

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm not too worried. I think Sundqvist looked the exact same that every other young player on the Penguins outside of Guentzel looked when they came into the NHL.

I really liked him last year. I remember him looking quite good vs the Isles near the end of the season.

I wonder if our center situation becomes a problem if the Pens don't explore using Guentzel there. I'm sure they don't want to at all, but if we lose Bones/Cullen and Sunny struggles, it quickly becomes a need.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I think he probably does too, and I sincerely hope we don't overpay him to try and keep him here.

I fear it will be a case of them not being able to find a better option so he gets overpaid.

Yeah, he looked like he took a step back at the NHL level. Now, if there was an injury that we didn't know about that explains that then okay. 4C, not 3C.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I really liked him last year. I remember him looking quite good vs the Isles near the end of the season.

I wonder if our center situation becomes a problem if the Pens don't explore using Guentzel there. I'm sure they don't want to at all, but if we lose Bones/Cullen and Sunny struggles, it quickly becomes a need.

I don't think it comes to that. I don't see Sundqvist as being anything more than the 4th line center next year, and if he falters, I think Rowney will just take that spot. The Penguins will probably sign a 3C or trade for one.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
So basically what everyone else expected :laugh:

I'm surprised he's alluding to the possibility that Sundqvist will be the 3C, though. That's not what I expected.

Just showing some faith in him being able to move up to 3C if he can earn it...instead of saying 4C is as high as he'll go

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Sundqvist is 23 and spent the last four years playing pro hockey agt men. He's not going to get any better in the A. Time to find out what they have in him and let the guy play.

If he can't handle it, grab a fourth line pivot via trade. Those guys aren't exactly hard to find.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
Assuming Bonino gets big money elsewhere, who would you guys like to see them target as a third-line center? I see a bunch of people mentioning Thornton, but unless he's willing to come all the way back east on one of those 1-year 35+ bonus-loaded deals, I wouldn't be a fan. Especially with him coming off major knee surgery.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sundqvist is 23 and spent the last four years playing pro hockey agt men. He's not going to get any better in the A. Time to find out what they have in him and let the guy play.

If he falters, grab a fourth line pivot via trade. Those guys aren't exactly hard to find.

Even if he fails, I'd still let him keep the spot. He's at least good defensively and brings some physicality that not many others bring. I don't think it's really possible for him to fail in a 4th line role, because he's already a 4th line caliber player at worst.

Assuming Bonino gets big money elsewhere, who would you guys like to see them target as a third-line center? I see a bunch of people mentioning Thornton, but unless he's willing to come all the way back east on one of those 1-year 35+ bonus-loaded deals, I wouldn't be a fan, especially with him coming off major knee surgery.

With Jarnkrok and Lowry out, my three would be Haula, Karlsson and Sheahan. Haula and Karlsson via Vegas, Sheahan via Detroit.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
getting haula would be pretty sweet. 53% on faceoffs. 25-35 points the past two seasons. only 26.

plus he's a fin. hell yeah

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
Assuming Bonino gets big money elsewhere, who would you guys like to see them target as a third-line center? I see a bunch of people mentioning Thornton, but unless he's willing to come all the way back east on one of those 1-year 35+ bonus-loaded deals, I wouldn't be a fan. Especially with him coming off major knee surgery.

I believe I saw a quote saying that his recovery time was ahead of schedule but still going to be skeptical over someone of his age coming back from major surgery

Though considering speed hasnt been his strength should still be a fit playing sheltered minutes on the 3rd line and getting time on the second powerplay :popcorn:

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Even if he fails, I'd still let him keep the spot. He's at least good defensively and brings some physicality that not many others bring. I don't think it's really possible for him to fail in a 4th line role, because he's already a 4th line caliber player at worst.

With Jarnkrok and Lowry out, my three would be Haula, Karlsson and Sheahan. Haula and Karlsson via Vegas, Sheahan via Detroit.

Ehh. We should be looking at adding more of a 2c to play at 3c. Guys that are better offensively.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Ehh. We should be looking at adding more of a 2c to play at 3c. Guys that are better offensively.

That's just unnecessary though and there aren't many guys like that available. I'd be completely fine with bringing Bonino back if he wasn't asking for a ridiculous amount of money.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

He should be fine as their fourth line pivot. I'd hesitate to pencil him into the third line role though.

He was getting knocked around a lot and falling down during his stint. Hopefully he focuses on strengthening his lower body during the summer and can own the boards ala Staal this season.

He can be a real force if he gets stronger and learns how to leverage himself properly during board battles.

shureshot66

Aug 2, 2005
There really aren't a ton of appealing UFA options for Bonino's spot, unfortunately. Boyle will probably have his value inflated the same as Bonino because of his playoff resume and Hanzal figures to cost even more than that.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
There really aren't a ton of appealing UFA options for Bonino's spot, unfortunately. Boyle will probably have his value inflated the same as Bonino because of his playoff resume and Hanzal figures to cost even more than that.

I think all of the UFA's including Bones will be expensive and have term. Maybe Boyle can be had cheaper, but he is more of a 4C, although he can play defense.

I really think we should look for a trade. I want a good player playing 3C and for our center depth to be as good as Bones/Cullen or better. I am not yet sold on Sundqvist being an everyday 4C yet.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
People are focusing on JR saying Sundqvist could play 3C next year, but he also said they want Bonino back. It's just old man JR running his gums and not being careful with what he's saying. I have no doubt that they will do everything they can to bring back Bonino or someone else like him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad