Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread Pt. 5 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Maatta wasn't realistic for Drouin I don't think. They wanted to swap assets for cap relief and expansion considerations I believe.

Plus, how the hell are we getting Drouin for Maatta when Maatta is supposedly our weak link on D? Not saying he is or isn't, but yet again we keep trashing Maatta until we want a good player for him in a trade.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
French media is going to eat that kid up, have a coffee, and **** him out 20 minutes later.

Maybe. Drouin is very good and he seems like he raises his game in the playoffs so I think he's exactly what Montreal (a team that struggles in the POs) could use. He's also fast and pesky which fits their model.

It's a great trade for them.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm talking defense. It was made clear by the McKenzie types that Yzerman wanted a defensive prospect.

****ing useless Pouliot.

:laugh:

But for real, it hurts so much. Could you imagine the D if they'd drafted Trouba and Maatta? Or taken Maatta/Trouba with the 8OA pick and someone like Skjei with 22OA? But no, Pouliot who I just noticed had his AHL production drop.

mrwirez

Apr 17, 2017
Pitt
Just popped up on my tablet.

Jonathan Drouin traded to Canadiens by Lightning
Tampa Bay receives defenseman Mikhail Sergachev.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I think drouin was their replacement for Chucky. Now they will look to trade Galchenyuk+ for a Center. Wouldnt be surprised if they got Duchene.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Galchenyuk would be great here, especially as a 3C. Habs never really bought into his skills as a center, kids played a lot of wing, but he has size, speed, vision and hands. Lot like Malkin, though obviously not at his level. JR should take that deal if he can swing it, but I'm sure its gonna cost more than Maata.

Depends if they want to spread the D zone starts out more (which is fine) because Galchenyuk really isn't known for that but his offensive abilities can make up for that.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Schultz quote:

Q: Money is one thing, but fit is another... have an appreciation for what this organization can offer beyond... whatever the financial reward might be?

A: Yeah, I feel comfortable here and feel I fit in well and that it suits my style of game. So it's gonna have success and don't have to take worry about that much money... umm you wanna have fun and this is where I've had the most fun.

Audio sucked, but that should give you a jist of what was said.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
:laugh:

But for real, it hurts so much. Could you imagine the D if they'd drafted Trouba and Maatta? Or taken Maatta/Trouba with the 8OA pick and someone like Skjei with 22OA? But no, Pouliot who I just noticed had his AHL production drop.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm not making fun. Just pointing out what kind of spoiled a-holes we are talking about missed opportunities coming off of back to back championships in a Cap League.

We're awful people.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I think drouin was their replacement for Chucky. Now they will look to trade Galchenyuk+ for a Center. Wouldnt be surprised if they got Duchene.

Yeah, I think that's what they're gunning for. **** I hate that team. I love when they're mediocre and all the fans and media are losing their ****.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Schultz quote:

Q: Money is one thing, but fit is another... have an appreciation for what this organization can offer beyond... whatever the financial reward might be?

A: Yeah, I feel comfortable here and feel I fit in well and that it suits my style of game. So it's gonna have success and don't have to take worry about that much money... umm you wanna have fun and this is where I've had the most fun.

Audio sucked, but that should give you a jist of what was said.

Sounds Promising. Hopefully he signs for under 5m.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I'm not making fun. Just pointing out what kind of spoiled a-holes we are talking about missed opportunities coming off of back to back championships in a Cap League.

We're awful people.

I can do both but the chances of another top 10 pick any time soon are incredibly low and Shero ****ed it up. This run could have been so much easier on us. :laugh:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Galchenyuk makes Geno look like a two way stud and he isn't a good enough skater to be a wing here.

I suspect we'll be in talks anyway with Col and MTL considering both teams could use a young LD.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
As for the whole where Pouliot is thing...

He was just fine as an NHLer stretch of 2016. Nothing amazing but doing a job. Barely gave the puck away, which is nice. Then he ends up down the roster because of depth, gets one game because of injuries and is doing well until he injures himself (a true Penguin) then proceeds to crap his pants as stupendously as any NHL prospect has since Yakupov.

My guess is he's still a decent NHL prospect but with no particular stand out skill and serious confidence issues. In an ideal world he spends the season back in the AHL and puts it back together again. Since you can't be sure he'd go through waivers, you can either make him 7th dman (last thing he needs), make him 6th dman for a period regardless of whether he deserves it (possibly also quite harmful, other reasons not to do it), or trade him to someone more desperate. Which does little for us but might beat the other options.

All in all quite annoying.

Epic Neal Time

May 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Galchenyuk makes Geno look like a two way stud and he isn't a good enough skater to be a wing here.

I suspect we'll be in talks anyway with Col and MTL considering both teams could use a young LD.

But... Geno is a great two-way player. Regardless, Galchenyuk is only 23 and scores at a top-line pace. He's cost-controlled and would be a better target than Duchene.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I didn't see Derrick Pouliot play this season... What's the bottom line on him?

1). Why is he still a WB/S Pens? Does he need more development, or because of the Penguins other the D-men contracts?

2). Does Pouliot remind you guys of any other Penguin/NHL defenseman that I could compare his game to?

The biggest knock on him was that in the games he did have here, he never improved on a game by game basis. He'd have a good game (with some obvious mistakes), then have a terrible game, then a slightly better game with more obvious mistakes and then an even worse game then the other bad one. He had 8-9 games, but never really showed much that said he belonged here.

Could he make it? Absolutely. But at this point it's probably a longshot. I'd sign him and keep him around unless a deal is out there that makes sense. If we lose him to waivers in Oct, so be it.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
The only time I've ever seen Pouliot play well was one game against the Sharks a couple of years ago. Literally one game. :laugh: His "best" is the vanilla, nothing special type of Ruhwedel (or any other run of the mill AHL defenseman) stuff. His average game is bad, and he's shown frequently to be very bad at the NHL level.

He got torched by Scott Hartnell's mummy. :laugh: That's the lasting memory I'll have of Pouliot after he fades into obscurity a la Luca Caputi and Eric Tangradi.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
As someone who originally wanted Forsberg first and Trouba second with that pick, I am not ready to sell the farm on Pouliot.

I can see a scenario where the Pens see him replacing Schultz and if so, that would be huge for the team, 3-4 million savings in cap.

We will all soon find out what JR thinks about him. If Schultz is re-signed or Pouliot traded or the reverse will be the verdict.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
After reading the thread in the Habs board a Pouliot+ for Beaulieu trade is something I could get behind. Our probable bust for their idiot, see if either would benefit from a change of scenery.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
But... Geno is a great two-way player. Regardless, Galchenyuk is only 23 and scores at a top-line pace. He's cost-controlled and would be a better target than Duchene.

Yeah I don't get that comment either.

I agree about Galchenyuk as well. From afar it seemed like he was producing pretty well then they started producing all kinds of questions about what position he should play.....while he was producing. I don't even get why they want rid of him, though I don't follow the team.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think Pouliot will surpass Schultz by leaps and bounds this year.....

Bottom line, no one knows at this point. I personally hope to see him get a legitimate shot or get traded ASAP.

:laugh::laugh: You never cease to amaze when it comes to absurd predictions.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

I don't agree. Duchene is about as good as we can get at forward this summer, imo. He's fast, very talented, young enough to be around for a long time, and most importantly can play all three forward positions. As a center, he's good on draws and solid defensively to boot.

He's gonna be very expensive, but if we were to land him it would be the best possible outcome for us this summer in terms of adding a forward.

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010

Kid has his flaws, but he's a #3 overall pick. So Montreal didn't know what they were doing with him. Pens would.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad