Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread Pt. 5 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Lowry would be a real good scenario, as he'd kill multiple birds with one stone. Maybe find a way to include Maatta and Morrissey.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
On the trade boards, Winnipeg fans seem open to the idea of moving Lowry for the 31st. Not sure what to think about that, but I love the player and he plays real nasty.

I like Lowry a ton, I would jump at trading the 31st for him. Two franchises I think the Pens should partner with are Toronto and Winnipeg.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
I don't think trading for a tough guy is going to deter anyone from going after Sid. He's the best in the world and they will feel roughing him up is the best way to win. The only way that stop if DOPS and refs come down with harsher suspensions/penalties or even actually handing them out. If your constantly suspended or in the penalty box that'll hurt your next contract.

Hornqvist was great for Sid because he was either copping the abuse after the whistle (taking the focus off Sid) or if Sid was getting attention he was right in there. Not fighting but pulling guys off. #thingsthatsounddirtybutarent :laugh:

H382

Oct 20, 2006
Wouldn't mind seeing Oshie brought in.. Could benefit us on the score sheet and a bit physically(not sure if enough though).

Saw Ottawa is possibly open to letting go of Phaneuf with some retention.. Wouldn't be the worst thing..

Pick87your71Poison

Jul 3, 2008
The Burgh
Wouldn't mind seeing Oshie brought in.. Could benefit us on the score sheet and a bit physically(not sure if enough though).

Saw Ottawa is possibly open to letting go of Phaneuf with some retention.. Wouldn't be the worst thing..

Really not a fan of the Phaneuf idea, but obviously some depends on how much retention.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
Interesting quotes. I wouldn't mind getting more physical unless it hampers our team speed/skill. Landeskog would fit the bill perfectly even though it's a pipe dream.

So we go from JB to Billy G? That sucks, at least they didn't make Recchi the assistant GM... yet. Hopefully everyone soaked in all they could from the past two years management team. Could pay dividends in the future.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Lowry would be pretty sweet.
Whats WPG's protection list look like? Is he even available?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Kane Crosby Guentzel
Williams Malkin Kessel
Sheary 3C Rust
Wilson Cullen (if he would come back) Kuhnhackl

This is a very interesting line up you've got there. I don't hate it one bit. Would have to know more about William's contract demands. He's 35. I would risk a 2yr deal on him if it's no more than $2.5-3mil. He can still be a 20g, 50pt player here I think. He was still dangerous in the playoffs and was in more than his fair share of scrums.

Just not sure what Buffalo wants from us for Kane.

Lowry would be a real good scenario, as he'd kill multiple birds with one stone. Maybe find a way to include Maatta and Morrissey.

I suggested: Lowry+B.Lemiuex for 1st, Pouliot, Kuhnhackl. I love the idea of Lowry here.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
7th? To me he earned himself a spot in the starting lineup. Nice cheap bottom pairing defender

I'm probably his biggest fan here - and I agree that he's shown that he's capable of being that 3rd pairing guy. Lots of had concerns about him having to move up and play 2nd pairing minutes/role. That doesn't even concern me. What does concern me (and is a very legitimate concern) is that he cannot (or should not) be our 3rd best puck mover after Letang and Schultz.

Dumoulin - Letang
Maatta - Schultz
MDZ - Cole or Cole - Ruh

So basically unless other moves are made, I'm not sure Ruh being our #6 is the smartest move. But if some other move is made to bring in another PMD, then I'm all for Ruh being our #6D. But if our starting 5 do not change, then unless we cannot afford someone else, I'd rather see someone else as our #6.

And like I said - this is coming probably from his biggest fan here.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Another possible pick up could be Boone Jenner from Columbus. Not only do they need cap space to resign Wennberg but he must be protected as well. Not sure what they'd want but I'd give up the 1st for him.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
So basically unless other moves are made, I'm not sure Ruh being our #6 is the smartest move. But if some other move is made to bring in another PMD, then I'm all for Ruh being our #6D. But if our starting 5 do not change, then unless we cannot afford someone else, I'd rather see someone else as our #6.

And like I said - this is coming probably from his biggest fan here.

It's not. We need another. Someone like MDZ, Stone, Kulikov, or Smith. Rudwedel is our perfect #7. He's a guy I don't mind sitting in the box when healthy but also one I love to have around if someone is hurt. Unless we pull in some pick time forwards that make the defensive budget slim, we need to look into signing anther 3/4/5.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Another possible pick up could be Boone Jenner from Columbus. Not only do they need cap space to resign Wennberg but he must be protected as well. Not sure what they'd want but I'd give up the 1st for him.

So would almost every team in the league. No clue what he would cost... but I'd think the price there would be more then we could afford.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ruhwedel can totally play 6th dman for us, but lets find a better one anyway and have him at 7th as we can.

edit: Having 6 guys who are all totally legit top 4 dmen was huge for us this season. Wasn't always pretty but it worked. I see no reason to move away from that.

Sign & Trade for Maatta is the obvious one. Or Pouliot and pick maybe if we don't do sign & trade. LHD in any case I'd have thought.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Hornqvist was great for Sid because he was either copping the abuse after the whistle (taking the focus off Sid) or if Sid was getting attention he was right in there. Not fighting but pulling guys off. #thingsthatsounddirtybutarent :laugh:

I think that's more what he is talking about bringing in rather than a straight up goon.

A guy or two that can play our style while still being enough of a physical presence to draw attention away from Sid/Geno/Phil entirely or act as bodyguards to cut down the after the whistle stuff.

Rectify

I HAVE A JOB!!
Oct 16, 2008
Around
I don't want Kane anywhere near this team. Doesn't matter the leadership in the room, some people just aren't going to change and will always have/cause issues. No thanks.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Sign & Trade for Maatta is the obvious one. Or Pouliot and pick maybe if we don't do sign & trade. LHD in any case I'd have thought.

I cannot endorse any situation where we add a F at the expense of a Dman. Have you seen the state of our D corps? Mark freakin Streit dressed in a playoff game. We need to be ADDING to the defensive depth, not subtracting from it. We're strongest at forward

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
I don't want Kane anywhere near this team. Doesn't matter the leadership in the room, some people just aren't going to change and will always have/cause issues. No thanks.
If he was a UFA and we could sign him to a 1 year deal (even at his current rate) without having to give up assets to get him then I could see it being worth a gamble. Give him a try, see if our locker-room can get him on the straight and narrow. If it doesn't work then we would let him move on.

Problem now if what assets it would cost to take that gamble

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
This is a very interesting line up you've got there. I don't hate it one bit. Would have to know more about William's contract demands. He's 35. I would risk a 2yr deal on him if it's no more than $2.5-3mil. He can still be a 20g, 50pt player here I think. He was still dangerous in the playoffs and was in more than his fair share of scrums.

I suggested: Lowry+B.Lemiuex for 1st, Pouliot, Kuhnhackl. I love the idea of Lowry here.

Thank you for the lineup compliment. My idea was something around Hornqvist for Kane. It's not that I really want to trade Hornqvist but to afford that roster we most likely have to. The other premise was that we traded Fleury to Vegas with the condition that they also select Hagelin. Maybe we could even make a bigger deal with Buffalo to get a dman along with Kane. I know of Bogosian but I am not really sure of any other dman Buffalo has. What dman do they have that you think could fit the Pens?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Thank you for the lineup compliment. My idea was something around Hornqvist for Kane. It's not that I really want to trade Hornqvist but to afford that roster we most likely have to. The other premise was that we traded Fleury to Vegas with the condition that they also select Hagelin. Maybe we could even make a bigger deal with Buffalo to get a dman along with Kane. I know of Bogosian but I am not really sure of any other dman Buffalo has. What dman do they have that you think could fit the Pens?

None they want to trade. Last I checked, Buffalo badly need to add dmen, not trade them.

I cannot endorse any situation where we add a F at the expense of a Dman. Have you seen the state of our D corps? Mark freakin Streit dressed in a playoff game. We need to be ADDING to the defensive depth, not subtracting from it. We're strongest at forward

Then trade other forwards for dmen after. As far as I'm aware, Buffalo's pressing need is for left shot dmen, particularly a classy one to play with Ristolainen.

Or we give up on Kane as a target. Which would suit many here I know.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Josh Yohe posted that JR has told all of the Pens UFAs to test free agency first and then if they want to stay he'll see if he can match what they could get in free agency.

Seems like there isn't any urgency to bring back any of those guys. I still imagine at least a few come back.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
If we're hellbent on bringing in muscle, I hope it's not purely at the expense of speed/skill.

I am by no means an E. Kane fan, but he's got the skill and talent to score, the speed to fit well, and the muscle that JR wants to add. Comes with a ****-ton of off-ice garbage, obviously, but if JR and Sully think they can get his head on straight and they think he won't be an issue in the lockerroom, I'll defer to them on the matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad