Salary Cap: 2017-18 Roster Building Thread Pt. 5 | Contract/FA charts in Post #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
I think people are making too much of this.

Seems to me he'll try to get a Matt Martin type who can hit and fight and still play. If he doesn't, he'll get some clown who'll dress only against certain teams and not even play in the spring.

mrwirez

Apr 17, 2017
Pitt
I didn't see Derrick Pouliot play this season... What's the bottom line on him?

1). Why is he still a WB/S Pens? Does he need more development, or because of the Penguins other the D-men contracts?

2). Does Pouliot remind you guys of any other Penguin/NHL defenseman that I could compare his game to?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Pouliot sucks at every facet of the game at the NHL level, imo. He's slow, both in terms of footspeed and thinking. He's terrible defensively, and a complete non-factor with regard to transition and offensive pressure/production.

There is a very good reason he didn't get a lot of time this season with the big club, even with injuries ravaging the blueline.

Maybe he turns it around, but it's gonna take a crazy 180 for that dude to become anything more than an AHL-fodder defenseman. On his best games, he looked bad. On his worst games, he was unbearable.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

1). Why is he still a WB/S Pens? Does he need more development, or because of the Penguins other the D-men contracts?

2). Does Pouliot remind you guys of any other Penguin/NHL defenseman that I could compare his game to?

1) He stinks. He just hasn't progressed. He's gotten worse if anything.

2) Uhh...no. I occasionally flashes of Andrei Markov in him but they're extremely rare. Most of the time he looks worse than Joe Melichar.

Cullen playing one more year would be nice in that we could play Sunny and be more comfortable letting Bones walk.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
why do i feel we should have been able to beat the montreal offer for Druin?
would have been great as 3c for us

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010
Unless he has his legs surgically replaced or bionics added, Maata has to go. If speed and skill are the criteria, Olli ain't part of the picture. Not sure who would want to add him though. Probably stuck with him...:shakehead

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
why do i feel we should have been able to beat the montreal offer for Druin?
would have been great as 3c for us

Sergachev is a top prospect, highly coveted. I don't think the Pens had anything near the equivalent to offer.

But man oh man...

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Sergachev is a top prospect, highly coveted. I don't think the Pens had anything near the equivalent to offer.

But man oh man...

Guentzel, who's better than Drouin (though less flashy, obviously), in my opinion.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009

But man oh man...

maybe not a prospect. but we have maatta for example. And while we are thin on D i would gladly have traded him for Drouin. We are even worse of at center. i mean, we cant go into next season with Rowneay and sundqvist as 3/4 C.

ofc, its a long way to go and im sure we will fill the spots. But i justg feel Drouin would have been great as our 3rd C if we wanna keep 3-4 scoring lines.

ThatGuy

Dec 21, 2006
Unless he has his legs surgically replaced or bionics added, Maata has to go. If speed and skill are the criteria, Olli ain't part of the picture. Not sure who would want to add him though. Probably stuck with him...:shakehead

the Habs need D, moreso after trading Sergachev, and Galchenyuk is apparently available...seems to make some sense to me. Although I'm fine with keeping Maatta as well.

mrwirez

Apr 17, 2017
Pitt
1) He stinks. He just hasn't progressed. He's gotten worse if anything.

2) Uhh...no. I occasionally flashes of Andrei Markov in him but they're extremely rare. Most of the time he looks worse than Joe Melichar.

Pouliot sucks at every facet of the game at the NHL level, imo. He's slow, both in terms of footspeed and thinking. He's terrible defensively, and a complete non-factor with regard to transition and offensive pressure/production.

There is a very good reason he didn't get a lot of time this season with the big club, even with injuries ravaging the blueline.

Maybe he turns it around, but it's gonna take a crazy 180 for that dude to become anything more than an AHL-fodder defenseman. On his best games, he looked bad. On his worst games, he was unbearable.

Ouch lol! Thanks fellas, that answers my questions.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
the Habs need D, moreso after trading Sergachev, and Galchenyuk is apparently available...seems to make some sense to me. Although I'm fine with keeping Maatta as well.

That's a solid trade, imo.

I rag on Maatta for his skating all the time, and I do think it's ****ing abysmal, but I have no real doubt in my mind about his worth around the league. I'm sure he could bring back a significant piece of JR wanted to move him.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Shows that IF Vegas have already promised us to take MAF, we could buy players for pennies on the dolllar that other teams cant protect, while we can expose 7 superstars and Vegas already made a deal with us to pick MAF :P

What an opportunity that would be :D

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
Guentzel, who's better than Drouin (though less flashy, obviously), in my opinion.

I'm talking defense. It was made clear by the McKenzie types that Yzerman wanted a defensive prospect.

****ing useless Pouliot.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC

I think Pouliot will surpass Schultz by leaps and bounds this year.....

Bottom line, no one knows at this point. I personally hope to see him get a legitimate shot or get traded ASAP.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
maybe not a prospect. but we have maatta for example. And while we are thin on D i would gladly have traded him for Drouin. We are even worse of at center. i mean, we cant go into next season with Rowneay and sundqvist as 3/4 C.

ofc, its a long way to go and im sure we will fill the spots. But i justg feel Drouin would have been great as our 3rd C if we wanna keep 3-4 scoring lines.

Center or Wing, that would have been a can't miss move if they had the assets to pull it off.

Drouin playing wing with Geno, or Drouin playing 3C with Phil.

My God...

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010

They weren't only chasing D, but someone on minimum wage. Maatta has a decent contract, but it's still too rich for their blood.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
We don't need Drouin. We don't need more elite forward talent, we're doing fantastic there. We need a 3C who plays all situations and preferably manages 50% or more in the face off circle. Drouin played 24 seconds of penalty kill last year. He's not our man. I don't think he even played centre for most of it.

Even if we did have a Sergachev level guy to sell - which we didn't - it would have made no sense.

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
French media is going to eat that kid up, have a coffee, and **** him out 20 minutes later.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Pouliot's such a turd. He's a turd without even comparing him to the guys we passed up in Forsberg and Trouba. After comparison, Pouliot's like... I dunno. A ****ing goiter.

stratosphere

Mar 19, 2010

Galchenyuk would be great here, especially as a 3C. Habs never really bought into his skills as a center, kids played a lot of wing, but he has size, speed, vision and hands. Lot like Malkin, though obviously not at his level. JR should take that deal if he can swing it, but I'm sure its gonna cost more than Maata.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA