Waived: 2017-18 Ongoing Waivers Thread

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
And what team does claim the first?
Team with the lowest winning percentage on the season (at the time of request)*

(Up until Nov. 1 in any given season, they use the previous years standings to determine priority, as there is not enough sample size to effectively use winning percentage, but after that date, it's winning percentage with various tiebreaking rules just in case)

*Note: At the time of request means the day that the claims are processed, ie. 24 hours after the player is initially put on waivers. That means, say a player is placed on waivers on Jan. 1 at noon., you could have top priority and file a claim at 1pm on Jan. 1, then play a game at 7pm Jan. 1, win, be bumped down in priority, and when the claims are processed at noon on Jan. 2, you could lose out on the player because the team that passed you on priority when you won, also put in a claim!

EDIT: Taking this time to dispel another common misconception: claiming a player does not bump you to the back of the priorities list. It is and always is based on winning percentage. You could take advantage of your poor play and high priority to claim 3 players on one day, or multiple players multiple days in a row, for example (given you have the contract slots).

Last edited:

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I am not sure where this question goes, but I am placing it here because it seems there are a lot of people who know the ins and outs of the NHL CBA here: currently both the Ducks and Devils have 4 extra healthy scratches, for a total of a 24-man roster. The NHL holiday freeze is over and none of the extra players are emergency, third-string goaltenders. I was under the impression that teams could not have more than 23-man rosters until AFTER the NHL trade deadline in late February. Has that rule changed?

I am very confused by this one.

Reactions: uncleben85

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
I am not sure where this question goes, but I am placing it here because it seems there are a lot of people who know the ins and outs of the NHL CBA here: currently both the Ducks and Devils have 4 extra healthy scratches, for a total of a 24-man roster. The NHL holiday freeze is over and none of the extra players are emergency, third-string goaltenders. I was under the impression that teams could not have more than 23-man rosters until AFTER the NHL trade deadline in late February. Has that rule changed?

I am very confused by this one.
You did not wait until noon...

Rasmussen and Prout are now on waivers.

Booba

Jun 20, 2005

A player who's contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions shall become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
  1. The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
  2. The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
  3. The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.

Brossoit will turn 25 in March and has played 28 NHL games (Season + Playoffs).

He played at least 30 minutes in 22 of those 28 games.

If he doesn't play 6 more games before the end of the season, he'll become a Group VI UFA at the end of the season.

Corrado who'll also turn 25 in March has played just enough NHL games (80) to remain a RFA.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad