Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Pittsburgh Penguins cap hits for defensemen:

Kris Letang: 7.25M, 4 Years
Justin Schultz: 5.5M, 2 Years
Brian Dumoulin: 4.1M, 5 Years
Olli Maatta: 4.083M, 4 Years
Jack Johnson: 3.2M, 5 Years

24.133M tied up in those five defensemen. The cap hit for the Predators' five defence corps last season was 23.35M for Subban/Josi/Ekholm/Ellis/Emelin.

Of course some of those Preds contracts aren't comparable and it's just neat to look at the difference in cap hits, but I have a feeling Pittsburgh will be looking to move one of Letang/Schultz this offseason. Money is on Letang being dealt.

member 116861

$3.2 million for 5 years isn't really that bad especially not as bad as everyone is making it out to be.

giphy.gif

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Trouba is a young talented guy, those types on defense tend to get paid. 7.5-8 mil per doesn't seem all that crazy given his potential.
Seems absolutely crazy to me. I've wanted Trouba to become an Av since the day he was drafted and I think he still can become a player who's worth that money but he needs to take another step or two in his development.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Hennessy

Ye Jacobites, by name
Dec 20, 2006
On my keister
Yeah, people are overreacting on the JJ signing. Sure, he never quite turned into what he was promised to be, and at this stage in his career what you see is what you get. 5 years might be a bit hefty for term, but it's not like he's 34 now. As long as your expectations match his salary, he's not going to disappoint you.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I’m fine with the JJ signing. As long as he isn’t asked to carry the 2nd pairing he’s a fine #4 who in stretches can above that level. But if he’s your 2nd/3rd best defenseman thats where you’ll run into issues with him.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm surprised he couldn't get more. 3,2 seems very reasonable number.
Long-term security > short term value. He NEEDED at least 4.5m over 3 years to pay back 4 creditors (they get 10% of this contract). 2 others are unknown. With the way this is structured, he probably gets ~8m of the 16m before taxes... so ~4-5m after (might be a touch more with his income situation). That should give him enough security to live a basic life in retirement if he is smart with it.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Long-term security > short term value. He NEEDED at least 4.5m over 3 years to pay back 4 creditors (they get 10% of this contract). 2 others are unknown. With the way this is structured, he probably gets ~8m of the 16m before taxes... so ~4-5m after (might be a touch more with his income situation). That should give him enough security to live a basic life in retirement if he is smart with it.
That's such a sad story, especially knowing that it was JJ's own parents that ended up screwing him over his life's earnings. He worked his butt off to get where he was, and has nothing to show for it except for lots of debt. Hopefully he can find a nice job after his playing career is over, too.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen too. With Emil Larmi, a young guy who's performed super well in net for HPK, I'm thinking he should go.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Not sure what to think of the DSP deal. It's good he gets to stay in DC where he really likes it but at the same time this might of been one of the few times he is able to really cash in.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Not sure what to think of the DSP deal. It's good he gets to stay in DC where he really likes it but at the same time this might of been one of the few times he is able to really cash in.
I doubt teams were lining up for his services in a way where he could cash in. Great playoffs, but dude scored 7 goals in the regular season playing on the 4th line.

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
I doubt teams were lining up for his services in a way where he could cash in. Great playoffs, but dude scored 7 goals in the regular season playing on the 4th line.
Cash in probably wasn't the right term but he had a few offers with more term and I'm assuming more aav as well. I just felt in the position he is right now he probably should have gone after the money. I guess he believed this was the right thing for him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad