2017-18 Around the League

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Dreger has an incredible relationship with Brisson. So while I agree with you that he's been a mouthpiece for the Leafs for a very long time, he would never do anything that can cause any type of negativity with his relationship with Brisson. If I was a betting man, I'd say this "secondary source" is the mouth of Pat Brisson himself to up the ante of other teams. That's who Dreger is the biggest puppet for.

I guess it's just...why single out the Leafs, you know? I mean I have my theory as to why--like you said to up the ante and put pressure on. But really when these mainstream guys mention the Canadiens or the Leafs, a lot of the time anymore I chalk it up to them just playing to the two most rabid fanbases in the NHL.

Now that's not to say I would 100% discount what he says in this tweet, but I just personally think that Dreger's track record speaks for itself w/r/t him and the Leafs.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I guess it's just...why single out the Leafs, you know? I mean I have my theory as to why--like you said to up the ante and put pressure on. But really when these mainstream guys mention the Canadiens or the Leafs, a lot of the time anymore I chalk it up to them just playing to the two most rabid fanbases in the NHL.

Now that's not to say I would 100% discount what he says in this tweet, but I just personally think that Dreger's track record speaks for itself w/r/t him and the Leafs.
I agree in every situation besides those that involve Brisson. He talks up the Leafs and Canadiens like it's nobody's business. Part of it (especially with the leafs) is probably being a mouthpiece. The other part is probably ratings.

But yeah, anytime he says something like this and Brisson is involved, it's likely to try and better his side of the table.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I agree in every situation besides those that involve Brisson. He talks up the Leafs and Canadiens like it's nobody's business. Part of it (especially with the leafs) is probably being a mouthpiece. The other part is probably ratings.

But yeah, anytime he says something like this and Brisson is involved, it's likely to try and better his side of the table.

Perhaps it's a little of both of what you and I believe. I don't discount that the man has relationships in the hockey world, he obviously does. But I also think he's more than earned any healthy dose of skepticism/eye-brow raisings that come along any time he mentions the Toronto Maple Leafs and a player (high profile or otherwise).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I've grown extremely skeptical of Dreger over the years.

Man, there is such a difference in the accuracy of reporting between NBA/NFL reporters, and NHL reporters. How much of that is on teams/"sources" and how much is on the reporters themselves is up for debate, but it's so easy to find accurate reports from other leagues.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I've grown extremely skeptical of Dreger over the years.

Man, there is such a difference in the accuracy of reporting between NBA/NFL reporters, and NHL reporters. How much of that is on teams/"sources" and how much is on the reporters themselves is up for debate, but it's so easy to find accurate reports from other leagues.
Other leagues don't have reporters that speculate. They talk about facts. They don't have entire nations tune into 12 hour long shows completely devoted to a day of trading players. It's a market in Canada and because of this reporters have gone from simply reporting, to speculating.

Reactions: RockLobster

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Honestly I'd think Dreger wouldn't like the Leafs organization since they fired his cousin Dave Nonis.

C53HVEBWcAEfGF0.jpg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The term for JJ is bad, but the rumored AAV of 3-3.5 isn't that bad... Hell, Kulikov got 4.3 last year and isn't as good as JJ.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Pittsburgh is all-in on Crosby's and Malkin's primes anyway. They don't give a shit about the future and what will come after, including old players on bad contracts. They trade all their 1st rounders and most of their prospects.

Reactions: McMetal

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not a big JJ fan. Too many mistakes and doesn't seem smart on the ice. On a team that can cover his weaknesses, he might be good. He's just not the guy you can lean on.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
I'm not a big JJ fan. Too many mistakes and doesn't seem smart on the ice. On a team that can cover his weaknesses, he might be good. He's just not the guy you can lean on.
He's gotten a lot better at reading the play over the last few years...

Not a terrible bottom four guy, but you can't really trust him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad