TSN: 2016 World Junior Championship (Colin White Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Lowry was Canada's problem ... they should be moving on

Barzal and Konecny over Perlini and Virtannen ... would have done it.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Well ... a highly skilled small fast team as most on here want Ottawa to be just posted one of the worse tournaments in the last decade. You can blame the referees, you can blame Vertanen or you can blame the coach but IMO the goaltending for Canada was very poor this game & it looked like he was fighting the puck all game long & in the last game as well. Not sure why he wasn't pulled after the second period, maybe they have more faith in Blackwood than McDonald, I thought it was a mistake. :shakehead

Let's give Finnland credit, they were bigger, didn't back down, every bit as skilled & played a great game including swtiching goalies when their first didn't look like he had it that game.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I played at a Hockey Canada event nearly 10 years ago and got to meet and listen to Bob Nicholson. Say what you want about him, I guarantee he doesn't have Virtanen on the team, or allow Blackwood at the camp.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Marner is going to have one hell of an adjustment to the NHL. That kid need an enormous amount of open ice to be effective.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Well ... a highly skilled small fast team as most on here want Ottawa to be just posted one of the worse tournaments in the last decade. You can blame the referees, you can blame Vertanen or you can blame the coach but IMO the goaltending for Canada was very poor this game & it looked like he was fighting the puck all game long & in the last game as well. Not sure why he wasn't pulled after the second period, maybe they have more faith in Blackwood than McDonald, I thought it was a mistake. :shakehead

So, what is your argument? The small (they weren't) size led to the bad goaltending?

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

:laugh: Part of Canada's downfall was their size? Too bad Perlini, Crouse and Virtanen couldn't contribute with all their size. Instead it was Konecny and Marner leading the way.

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Our best players were the small guys. Our "big boys" did pretty much nothing all tournament... But yes, bang on with the rest.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Our best players were the small guys. Our "big boys" did pretty much nothing all tournament... But yes, bang on with the rest.

I thought Strome had a very good tournament & Crouse scored today too. Marner is a puck hog but I thought Konecny had a very good tournament on an energy line. I also thought it wasn't their offence that let them down it was their defensive responsibility & their goaltending which sucked basically.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I thought Strome had a very good tournament & Crouse scored today too. Marner is a puck hog but I thought Konecny had a very good tournament on an energy line. I also thought it wasn't their offence that let them down it was their defensive responsibility & their goaltending which sucked basically.

Crouse was invisible all tourney before that goal. Dude doesn't look like he has the tools to be anything more than a 4th line guy in the NHL.

One that that is usually true in the WJC...whatever team has the lowest PIM total at the end of the tourney usually has the gold medal. Hockey Canada used to preach discipline above all else back in the day (both of their long gold runs)......what the heck happened lately, I have no idea.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Chabot was good. He played a far bigger role than anyone would have imagined, and stepped up nicely. I think he played more conservatively than he does in junior. All those minutes probably limited him from rushing the puck, as he can do so well. Hicketts was kind of all over the place, so I think Chabot identified that and attempted to be the safe anchor on that pairing.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Chabot was good. He played a far bigger role than anyone would have imagined, and stepped up nicely. I think he played more conservatively than he does in junior. All those minutes probably limited him from rushing the puck, as he can do so well. Hicketts was kind of all over the place, so I think Chabot identified that and attempted to be the safe anchor on that pairing.

I'm not sure if I remember right but wasn't it a question mark whether he'd make the team?

He showed up and didn't look out of place. That's good. He can keep developing and hopefully we get a solid NHL player.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Marner seems like he has the skill and the willingness to have every chance of becoming the best player he can. I wonder how he'll transfer to the NHL level.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Definitely pleased with his progression. He made some errors along the way, but no "highlight reel" glaring mistakes outside of the puck over the glass. That's a good thing. Especially with no real 'anchor guys' on the blueline this year to lean on. Not really happy with how the coach used him at times....not much PP time, yet a lot of long shifts, and didn't seem (by the eye test) that he got much in the way of offensive zone starts. They didn't seem to put him in a position to put up any points.

Kid definitely needs to work on that shot, and get some muscle. That should come with time.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

It was a strong showing for Chabot as 18 year old in this tournament. He played a huge role and one that he's probably not used to. He had to be the defensive D type for the team when he's usually the puck moving/rushing weapon for his squad. Didn't really get use his strengths besides the skating to break up odd man rushes with Hicketts stuck pinching.

He had to play conservatively given his role and he responded well.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
Watching guys like Laine, Puljujärvi and Matthews makes me somewhat wish the Sens would be in a position to draft one of the three.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad