TSN: 2016 World Junior Championship (Colin White Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 16, 2007
in your head
Some may not like Ron Wilson as a coach but I know if I was an 18/19 y/o I would listen and respect what he says. Having Chelios back there would sure help as well.

Also Wilson knows there is a team building element to winning this or any tournament like this.

If guys feel left out or if other guys feel privileged it rarely works out. I am very disappointed in how Lowry ran this team.

Wilson was/is a great coach. Just unfortunate he coached in Toronto and had his reputation torn apart.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Another game just not enamored with white. Maybe he's a guy that you rally notice in the right games. I'll admit he was much more noticeable against canada than he was these last two blow outs.

Don't care much for analyzing prospects in blow out games.

Watch White separating him from the game itself and you see a guy whomay well be an all situations center in the nhl. Dominance and multi point games are fun to watch but mean very little. Just the same as not standing out in these games.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
It's the politicking in HC itself that's the main culprit. Does anyone honestly think Virtanen would ever be benched? Kid was playing in the NHL for 2 months. They know if he doesn't get ice, NHL teams won't lend their kids to any more tournaments. It's all about names, draft position, and in some cases, the junior teams they play for.

You also knew the team was done when kids were taking 1.5-2 minute shifts early in the round robin. No discipline, and coaching was too "junior" level.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Canada was poorly put together team.

When TC gels they dominate, when they don't they get spanked.

I'm happy with the result, the better team won.

Benttheknee

Jun 18, 2005
Ottawa
I see the ice surface as playing a big role, the teams that switch struggle just enough to close or widen the gap between teams.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Really pissing me off that people are slamming the kids.

That was one of the worst displays of coaching I have ever seen from the world juniors. They spent 4 round robin games trying to be cute and not playing a team game. Maybe you have a bunch of guys that are selfish? But I doubt it. I took them till the QF to either click into the coaching system or for the coach to implement a system/game plan. If htey had played that way from the get go they would have improved like every other team.

Reality was they didn't have enough skill to overshadow lackluster coaching like previous years. The results of that end up being what we saw.

Unfortunate. They should have been playing a high tempo, physical game from the get go. Not the little cute play that ended up turning them into one of the worst showings for hte world juniors in the last decade.

I certainly look to coaching before the players.

And to the people (in the main forum) bashing these kids, that says more about your credibility than anything on these boards (including ****** trade proposals).

Glad to see the Sens-specific board has some level headed people!!

I agree with you. I put this mostly on the coaching staff. I don't think we were talented enough to win the tourny but we should have beaten the one line Fin team. No organization - way to individual - and the staff did a brutal job keeping the team composed and focused. One of the worst coaching jobs I can remember if this event.

Cruz

May 17, 2013
Sweden
Englund has been very good this WJC. Didn't think very high of him before this tournament but he has really impressed. Good times!

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Yeah, agree that Englund has looked pretty steady. I do hope his puck movement skills continue to develop, that's really all we need from him.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
He's actually a very good skater, I hope he starts carrying the puck out of his zone more and jumping in the play more. He has some underrated tools that he ain't using very much.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Englund hasn't been as strong in the 2nd period. I guess he still needs to work on consistency. As the Roger Miller song goes "Englund swings like a pendulum do"

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
He seems very slow reading the play in the defensive zone. For a defensive dman that seems concerning.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Englund has been just as advertised so far. Defensive defensemen, no offensive skills, that's pretty much it. Nothing more than a 3rd pairing guy at the NHL level.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
The goof ball decides to take a unnecessary penalty in the final 2 minutes while his team is down a goal.

DAT character!! DAT leadership!

Seems like a bigger Boroweiscki that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad