TSN: 2016 World Junior Championship (Colin White Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Virtanen should be embarrassed, he has 25+ guys in the room that want to tear him apart, and the rest of the country that wants to. He is the opposite Eberle.

The coach is more to blame for continuing to put him out there. Any reasonable man would have benched him in the second.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
I hear you.

This Canadian team (although I've not watched all the games) seems like it's filled with undisciplined players and then those who think they can win it on their own. Which to me isn't that likeable.

Definitely seems that way. I think the undisciplined aspect is being played up a bit though. The question in my mind - is how much have Sweden/Finland/US improved their development systems and how much is this Canada sucking and stagnating?

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
The main board thread is outstanding. Just chastising player after player. I swear some people forget that all these players are still teenagers.

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
Definitely seems that way. I think the undisciplined aspect is being played up a bit though. The question in my mind - is how much have Sweden/Finland/US improved their development systems and how much is this Canada sucking and stagnating?

I definitely think that other countries have definitely improved. And l love that! There is more competition and that's really good for world hockey. (Although not sure I'd include us in that).

But this Canadian team seems very emotional and unless they are winning alot they play undisciplined. Under the face of adversity they seem to have one or two guys trying to do everything then everyone else playing undisciplined.

Also Canadian goaltending isn't what it used to be.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

The development of talent besides at the goalie position hasn't stagnated in this country at all. The biggest problem is Hockey Canada is rotten to the core. It is a very corrupt organization that plays politics and is very interested in its bottom line. Bringing guys like Virtanen who will draw viewers in from Vancouver (or whatever Canadian market) or giving preference to big names to sell ad space is more important than winning now.

We've become like the FA in Football.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
We had enough talent to go much further. Biggest problem was coaching and politics. You knew a junior coach wouldn't have the balls to sit certain high draft guys and an NHLer.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The development of talent besides at the goalie position hasn't stagnated in this country at all. The biggest problem is Hockey Canada is rotten to the core. It is a very corrupt organization that plays politics and is very interested in its bottom line. Bringing guys like Virtanen who will draw viewers in from Vancouver (or whatever Canadian market) or giving preference to big names to sell ad space is more important than winning now.

This.

And if what Canucks fans were saying earlier in the tourney that he was hurt at the beginning (ribs?), under the old Team Canada rules, he, Point and Blackwood would NOT have been invited to training camp. In their old policy of only taking healthy guys, and guys who are there from day 1 (no suspensions or late NHL drop-ins), this edition of TC would've been more of a team instead of a bunch of individuals.

Real Smart Sens Fan

Jun 14, 2014
He should have been benched after his penalty in the 2nd. Lowry for some reason didn't see this and is reaping the rewards now.

I agree, I'm just saying that even his biggest detractors wouldnt have expected him to screw up that badly.

Virtanen, the NHL loan in 2016:
5GP 0G 1A 10PIM
Associate Captain

Lazar, the NHL loan in 2015:
7GP 5G 4A 0PIM
Captain

That's the difference between a pro, and a loser.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com

We've become like the FA in Football.

Nailed it. Been my biggest complaint for years that Hockey Canada tends to take kids with draft pedigree over guys that are clearly having a better season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iamok

Oct 20, 2010
Biggest key to the game was negating Finland's lethal PP, so naturally they take 9 penalties in this one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad