World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Shouldn't players from France, Germany, Denmark, Norway and Slovenia be at the Olympic qualification tournament around that time? Or the NHL won't let them go there?

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Shouldn't players from France, Germany, Denmark, Norway and Slovenia be at the Olympic qualification tournament around that time? Or the NHL won't let them go there?

I can imagine Greiss going for gold at this years summer Olympics :sarcasm:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
France had a bad team this year at the worlds, but Bellemare was everything for them at penalty-killing. He was their best player.

I love how you all mention the political reasons and ignore that there is not a single player from Latvia or Belarus
. I guess think twice the next time.
First off, it makes no sense to pick a player from a 7 game sample when they had a 79 game sample in the NHL for a tournament played on small ice. I guarantee you picking Bellemare had nothing to do with the WC and that wouldn't help him either being the best player for the 14th place team...at least he's got the penalty killing almost as lockdown as idk a bunch of other players who didn't make the team...

The bolded, I'm sorry, is just hilarious. I had no thoughts that there was anything political but congrats for pointing out that all the players chosen were from West Europe...

It's fine that you appreciate Bellemare but you seem in extremely rare company on that issue...

WeberStreit

Jan 31, 2008
Luca Sbisa? He didn't even land a spot in the swiss WHC roster... They should have selected Diaz instead or any right handed defenseman.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
I can imagine Greiss going for gold at this years summer Olympics :sarcasm:

Hmm ? There is a qualifieng tournament for the last Olympic spots for 2018 from 1st-4th of September . Many of the European countries still have to fight if they want to play in Korea in 2018.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Hmm ? There is a qualifieng tournament for the last Olympic spots for 2018 from 1st-4th of September . Many of the European countries still have to fight if they want to play in Korea in 2018.
and the world cup starts three weeks later, what's the point? Even the first pre-tournament game for Team Europe is 4 days after olympic qualification.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
and the tournament starts three weeks later, what's the point? Even the first pre-tournament game for Team Europe is 4 days after olympic qualification.

My point was i didn't understand what he meant with his Greiss comment. I got the impression he didn't know the qualification tournament would be played. No need to flip out here ...

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I do not know how on this Earth Luca Sbisa managed to crack this team. Watching some of the best players in the world turnstile him regularly will be a treat to watch.

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Imo Bellemare was just selected so that the tournament gets some attention in France. It's all just a marketing tournament anyway (but everyone knows this by now).

Pandaman11

Dec 3, 2009
Maybe...

Gaborik - Kopitar - Hossa
Tatar - Draisaitl - Zuccarello
Boedker - Nielsen - Vanek
Niederreiter - Bellemare - Hansen
Rieder

Josi - Streit
Chara - Seidenberg
Ehrhoff - Sekera
Sbisa

Andersen
Halak
Greiss

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic
They will go far in the tournament imo. They will be demolished in the first game. Then somebody like Hossa will have a speech in the dressing room saying something like " guys we look like an idiots and actually we are here as an biggest idiots, but when we have to be here, lets show them the best" and they will write better story than this year All star game :)

After czechs I will root for them. Too much dreaming but czechs and euros advancing from that group will be exactly what this tourney deserves.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Luca Sbisa :laugh:

Not a terrible defenseman... But wasn't the world cup supposed to have the best players in the world?

Isn't there a north american with two passports they could have played ahead of him?

Babula

May 31, 2012
Because the two joke teams render the whole thing a farce and it would be amazing to see it all blow up in the NHLs face

this tourney has a huge historically rivalry Euro vs NA. But for the first time there are teams like NA and EURO. So, that is why it is kind of weird in my eyes...

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Did they really needed a Center that badly that they had to include Bellemare ? Eller and Girgensons would've been better options but whatever. Happy for everyone that doesn't have to go and play for this. Just a wierd idea to begin with and the team just looks terrible . The defense is especially awful . Way way way too old.

Jablkon

May 23, 2014
Czech Republic

Even groups are set up for Canada and USA to meet in final. There too many things targeting nothing more than money. Tourney itself might not deserve it but Bettman definetely does. The final will be three games series. I dont think they even count with something like three game serie between NA23 and Euros competing for which one is best hockey team in the world.

So I am rooting for czechs and euros and I want to see us in three games serie against Euros :)

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
at least it's a prove they want the best team, and not just as many countries as possible, as has been suggested million times.

Uncle Bill

Know it all
Sep 21, 2011
Even groups are set up for Canada and USA to meet in final.

Not with the current US team. It's a decent team, but I'd rank Finland and Swedon much higher, with NA23 stronger as well.

No guarantees the US will be in the final.

PecnoTrunk

Dec 20, 2014
Not with the current US team. It's a decent team, but I'd rank Finland and Swedon much higher, with NA23 stronger as well.

No guarantees the US will be in the final.

Many people are overestimating the u23 team

They wouldnt stand a chance against usa or canada

The only team they might beat are europe and czeck team

Scotty B

Jan 1, 2014
Many people are overestimating the u23 team

They wouldnt stand a chance against usa or canada

The only team they might beat are europe and czeck team

look at their lineup .I think team Young Gunz could beat team Czech, Finland, team Europe and even Team USA...

They'll be underdogs vs Russia, Sweden and Canada for sure...BUT those games won't be easy... anything's possible

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad