World Cup: 2016 World Cup — Team Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
Also it would've been smarter to say replace some of the older players like Seidenberg with young players like Mirco Müller . Just an example pretty sure there are a couple of other young player that would be more fitting than washed up players way past their prime. Not the single one of the older players even had a good season.

Last edited:

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Nino Niederreiter - Anze Kopitar "A" - Marian Gaborik
Thomas Vanek - Frans Nielsen - Mats Zuccarello
Tomas Tatar - Leon Draisaitl - Marian Hossa
Mikkel Boedker - Pierre-Edouard Bellemare - Jannik Hansen
Tobias Rieder

Roman Josi - Dennis Seidenberg
Zdeno Chara "C" - Christian Ehrhoff
Andrej Sekera - Mark Streit "A"
Luca Sbisa

Frederik Andersen, Thomas Greiss, Jaroslav Halak

#1 Powerplay: Vanek - Kopitar - Zuccarello - Chara - Josi
#2 Powerplay: Niederreiter - Nielsen - Gaborik - Ehrhoff - Sekera/Streit
alternating players - Boedker, Tatar, Draisaitl, Hossa. I suppose Kopitar will be playing a lot of time in all game situations, the same goes for Josi and Chara.

Penalty-killing players - Kopitar, Hossa, Nielsen, Hansen, Bellemare - Chara, Josi, Sekera, Seidenberg

I think Team Europe will be strong and seems to be quite underrated, undeservedly. They have players able to score all through the line up, players with tons of experience, some younger ones like Draisaitl, and also players that will be able to lead the team on the ice - like Kopitar, Chara, or Josi. We will see how the chemistry will look like, motivation, the effort, etc. I believe those 3 games before the touranment will certainly show something, so let's see. They play two games against Team North America, the last one is against Sweden.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
Also it would've been smarter to say replace some of the older players like Seidenberg with young players like Mirco Müller . Just an example pretty sure there are a couple of other young player that would be more fitting than washed up players way past their prime. Not the single one of the older players even had a good season.
Among NHL players, there is not so much to pick from. Mueller, Yannick Weber, Holzer, and Marincin are the only other with some games in the NHL last season. And Ehrhoff or Seidenberg deserve to be there. They are incredibly experienced and is still solid defensemen.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I wonder why they didn't pick Lars Eller, Zemgus Girgensons, or Mikhail Grabovski for a Center position? They have only four centers on this team and Bellemare should be a healthy scratch.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I wonder why they didn't pick Lars Eller, Zemgus Girgensons, or Mikhail Grabovski for a Center position? They have only four centers on this team and Bellemare should be a healthy scratch.

I guess they wanted to put some french interest into the mixture ! Draw another amount of PPV. ERRRRRRRR no in fact Betman talked about it to Europeans ant they were excited about the format of the European team and about including a Frenchman ;-)
(not mocking at Bellemare or Frenchs .. but at Betman also know by the nickname : the wolf who speaks the truth)

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
For you guys following Team Europe, where do you see Leon Draisaitl in the lineup?

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Of all the teams participating, this will be the one with players with the least interest in getting hurt. I'm sure they could get along together and have fun. But they will be pretty easily outmuscled, even by the Finns.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Among NHL players, there is not so much to pick from. Mueller, Yannick Weber, Holzer, and Marincin are the only other with some games in the NHL last season. And Ehrhoff or Seidenberg deserve to be there. They are incredibly experienced and is still solid defensemen.

They are also without a contract for next season. So I am wondering if they will view this as an opportunity to showcase themselves, or rather try to avoid injury.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
For you guys following Team Europe, where do you see Leon Draisaitl in the lineup?

Should be third line center, when there's only 4 centers on the team.

X - Kopitar - X
X - Nielsen - X
X - Draisaitl - X
X - Bellemare - X

This team is valued 85.5M in caphits and it's higher in player value than Finland (~68M) or Checzs (~71M) have.

Canada TOPs the tournamnet with ~150M valued team, but USA (~130M) isn't far away.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Should be third line center, when there's only 4 centers on the team.

X - Kopitar - X
X - Nielsen - X
X - Draisaitl - X
X - Bellemare - X

This team is valued 85.5M in caphits and it's higher in player value than Finland (~68M) or Checzs (~71M) have.

Canada TOPs the tournamnet with ~150M valued team, but USA (~130M) isn't far away.

:amazed:

Canada is absolutely loaded with talent. Giroux and Seguin will be on the 3rd line likely. Going to be very tough to compete against Canada.

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
"I thought it was a good idea to put another competitive team together," Ehrhoff said. "It's just a fact that some of these nations wouldn't be as competitive if they were by themselves. So to put another good team like Team Europe into the tournament, I thought it was a good idea.

"Hockey players are very proud and very competitive athletes. Even though we are not representing our own country, we still will fight for the team and represent Team Europe well."

"It's always special," Draisaitl said. "As a young kid, you want to play for the national team and represent your country. With Team Europe, I think the World Cup is as big of a stage as there is in world hockey, and I feel really good to be a part of it."

https://www.nhl.com/news/five-germans-competing-for-team-europe-at-world-cup/c-281476060

cbj21

Oct 2, 2005
Shampoo land
I can predict lots of players boycotting this squad. What i perfectly understand. Streit already said he would dislike play for a team like this. I cannot see how players could be motivated to play for this strange team.

Maybe players who love to play?

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Maybe players who love to play?

I don't think that the love for the game is the issue. Rather telling you that your country is not good enough to ice a complete team ... . Therefore we will put a bunch of countries together and hope they will far well and draw PPV and entries !

France, Germany, Slo ... who ? ... we'll call you team Europe. Will be easier for us !

To call this a world cup is humiliating for the small countries. Far from the spirit of the WC or Olympic games. We are full in the all mighty dollar philosophy where the weakest just shuts up.
It is depreciating ... this is probably the real issue. Capitalistic values at the primitive stage.

But at the end, probably they will show up, and in order not to loose, they will try to win ... and at the end ... the energy will be their.

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
IMHO the only interesting thing is WC provides us NHL Hockey sooner...

it shoud'nt have been named World Cup
This is just a World thing from North Americans view and Bettman vs IIHF World Championships

xxxx

Sep 20, 2012
lol.... if you want to rename the World Cup, you should call the IIHF World Championships the Who-is-free-and-doesnt-have-any-plans-for-summer-oh-wait Hot Skoda Summer Cup.

Keram

Jan 16, 2016
Ok. Some survey here for fans from Germany, Austria, France, Slovenia, Denmark, Norway ( Do I forgot somebody?) Would you rather see your country to win olympic qualification and see your country at Olympics or team Europe win World cup? As Slovakia fan I would probably prefer 1/4 finals from WCH for Slovakia than world cup win. Definitely prefer semifinals WCH than team Europe succes. I will watching games though. But without special emotions.

tobu

Jan 10, 2013
Bratislava, Slovakia
I'll be following the results just out of curiosity, but zero emotions for team Europe. Might watch a game or two if at a reasonable time in Europe just because I like hockey, but all-in-all, I don't really care much for this tournament, it's meh...

DangeRouss

Sep 6, 2014
Bordeaux, Fra
I've no problem with European Team concept
I'm a die hard fan of Team Europe in Ryder Cup for example

But we speak about a "Rest of Europe" Team
Team NA also makes non sense in terms of competition (regarding how teams are build)

You decently cannot name this pre-season tournement a World cup

That said I'll support Team Europe but without a lot of passion

- probably the only one here :D but I like Team Europe Logo & jersey, simple and nice one -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad