Transfer: 2016 Summer transfer discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
You can play two centrally, especially if you get someone like Xhaka who can sit in front of a back four, and isn't just a poser #6 like Arsenal have used in the past.

ehhh, the day Arsenal spend ythe reported price for Xhaka is the day Ill believe it. They have needed a 6 for years.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Someone will be interested in this news :
Aissa Mandi might leave Reims for Middlesborough.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
So much for Gotze.

Joining the manager who brought his best years out of him (so far) and having a rebound season while competing against the manager who had zero faith in him might hold some appeal. With Guardiola joining City and Mourinho joining United the league is very much in a transition phase that Liverpool can exploit if they can give a persuasive enough argument to recruits. Sure you won't be in the Champions League, but ending a global club's 27 year title drought can make you as much of a household name.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Clearly, you undermine the impact of not playing a european competition.
Liverpool won't recruit what it would take to win the league because they won't play in Europe.
That doesn't mean they're not attractive for good players because they are. But top players won't go there for at least a year.
Now, Gotze might or might not be a top player. I think he's not as highly regarded as he once was, and it's quite possible not many top quality teams are looking at him.
As such, if he has to choose between a Napoli or Liverpool (for example), he could choose Liverpool even without Europe. If a bigger team (Juve caliber) comes calling, I doubt he chooses Liverpool.

United and Liverpool are attracting clubs for most players. Big name, tradition, nice crowd, big media league, big money, etc...
But if a top 5 european team makes a proposal, those two teams will be rejected by top players.

MarkStone

Frankie Fryer
Mar 12, 2016
Clearly, you undermine the impact of not playing a european competition.
Liverpool won't recruit what it would take to win the league because they won't play in Europe.
That doesn't mean they're not attractive for good players because they are. But top players won't go there for at least a year.
Now, Gotze might or might not be a top player. I think he's not as highly regarded as he once was, and it's quite possible not many top quality teams are looking at him.
As such, if he has to choose between a Napoli or Liverpool (for example), he could choose Liverpool even without Europe. If a bigger team (Juve caliber) comes calling, I doubt he chooses Liverpool.

United and Liverpool are attracting clubs for most players. Big name, tradition, nice crowd, big media league, big money, etc...
But if a top 5 european team makes a proposal, those two teams will be rejected by top players.

Agree with pretty much everything in this post and don't think my post conflicts with this at all. That being said, no European commitments obviously means reduced squad depth necessities and if Klopp can get his type of players that he can form into a cohesive unit who knows? Obviously top 4 is the much more realistic target.
In regards to Gotze the only other big club besides Liverpool in the rumor mill I have heard of is Dortmund. The Arsenal rumors don't seem too strong unless there is something I haven't seen.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Per L'Equipe, Hatem Ben Arfa has narrowed down his numerous proposals to 3 teams : Barca, PSG and Lyon.

Barca is obviously a strong candidate, but he knows he'd be a backup.
PSG is enticing to him because he's from Paris, and he knows he could see some playing time.
Finally Lyon is his debut team and probably has a sentimental side to him.

To me, it's between Barca and PSG.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
LFC's only shot at Gotze now is if BVB decide not to pursue him. With Kloppo n the CL, they had a puncher's chance, but not anymore

jniklast

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
LFC's only shot at Gotze now is if BVB decide not to pursue him. With Kloppo n the CL, they had a puncher's chance, but not anymore

If Mkhitaryan is extended (hopefully he will), I don't see a spot for Götze. With Dembele and Pulisic as extras I think the offensive depth is good enough. And I don't really think Götze is suited to play a deeper role (as Gündogan replacement), so the only option to make space for him would be Mkhitaryan dropping to the 8, but I think he's more effective on the wing.

Bon Esprit

Jan 24, 2004
If Mkhitaryan is extended (hopefully he will), I don't see a spot for Götze. With Dembele and Pulisic as extras I think the offensive depth is good enough. And I don't really think Götze is suited to play a deeper role (as Gündogan replacement), so the only option to make space for him would be Mkhitaryan dropping to the 8, but I think he's more effective on the wing.

According to "Bild" Micki is linked with Chelsea, because BvB don't want to accept an "out clause".

German link:http://www.focus.de/sport/fussball/...en-wichtigsten-spielerwechsel_id_5538249.html

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA

Do Dortmund truly need him? I think their attack is set up quite nicely now.

Top 5 in the world offensively and possibly the most attractive attacking system in football. Why fix something that ain't broke?

They should bring in a couple of CBs like Mustafi and Tah as you suggested before. And someone to groom to take over for Ilkay's role when he moves to City.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Do Dortmund truly need him? I think their attack is set up quite nicely now.

Top 5 in the world offensively and possibly the most attractive attacking system in football. Why fix something that ain't broke?

They should bring in a couple of CBs like Mustafi and Tah as you suggested before. And someone to groom to take over for Ilkay's role when he moves to City.
I agree but Gotze might be linked with the Mkhitaryan situation. If he re-signs with Dortmund I don't see Gotze going to Dortmund but if they sell him Dortmund would be greatly interested in Gotze.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I agree but Gotze might be linked with the Mkhitaryan situation. If he re-signs with Dortmund I don't see Gotze going to Dortmund but if they sell him Dortmund would be greatly interested in Gotze.

I can see Mkhitaryan going to Chelsea. I think the allure of playing in London + Wages might be too much to turn down.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Rumors that Real Madrid will exercise their buy back option on Morata but sell him to one of PSG/Arsenal/Chelsea. His replacement at Juve will be Berardi

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I can see Mkhitaryan going to Chelsea. I think the allure of playing in London + Wages might be too much to turn down.

I think the Chelsea link is just a negotiating tactic by Raiola to get a better contract.

Anyway, I'm more worried about it than I was in the past. Pretty much all sources said his future would be decided before the Pokal final but here we are with two days left and it still isn't.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
While I agree no Europe hurts, for Liverpool it's still partially about the money and Klopp. If they're willing to give a similar salary, which isn't always the case, their only real selling point is Klopp.

Manager isn't everything, but he's still one of the top 4 or 5 in the world that players would want to play for (especially Germans) so it could still mean something.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
While I agree no Europe hurts, for Liverpool it's still partially about the money and Klopp. If they're willing to give a similar salary, which isn't always the case, their only real selling point is Klopp.

Manager isn't everything, but he's still one of the top 4 or 5 in the world that players would want to play for (especially Germans) so it could still mean something.

In regards to money, keep in mind they're losing out on probably around 50M by not being in the CL group stage next year. That will certainly affect the transfer fees they're going to pay out this summer and may also affect the wages they want to give out right away.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
The negative:
Financial loss
Missing a chance to get another European cup
Missing on some target that want CL

Positive:
More time for training
Full focus on the premier league (it did help Leicester in their quest for the EPL championship)

It sucks hard losing that game but I have little doubt that Liverpool will be a pain to play in the premier league next year with all their players fresh and ready and the additional training sessions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad