Transfer: 2016 Summer transfer discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Bazoer isn't really similar to Gundogan though. He's more of a 6 or an engine/athletic 8 and less technical.

His mobility, physique, technique and passing radius would seem to fit very as an 8 in front of Weigl & alongside Gotze/Mkhitaryan...at least based off of what I've seen in european competition; as I don't watch the eredivisie.

So Lukaku is now worth Suarez money apparently?

...well he is EPL proven...

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Arsenal are apparently after Celtic's Kieran Tierney.

He any good?

I've only seen him play in Europa League, but really good going forward. Crosses the ball wall, good technical skill, pretty athletic, and he looks okay defensively. I'm not sure if he's ready defensively to play in the Premier League, but he definitely seems like a good prospect.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
There's no reason to sign a new CM thats competition for Gundogan if he signs a long term deal. He won't be out that long, and Dortmund has good cover at that position. I believe Watzke has said Gundogan has to make a decision to extend long term or go before the end of the summer, so there should be a resolution eventually. If he goes, you obviously have to buy a replacement. If he stays, Dortmund can stick with Castro as a #8 for a few months.

GermanNuck

Jun 15, 2011
Germany
Bobby Wood has joined Hamburg. Sorry cgf, now you guys need a replacement.

What does Hamburg's striker position look like besides Wood?

Wood, Lasogga, Altintas, Schipplock.

As a Hamburg supporter I'll put it this way: There is a good chance that Wood will see significant time on the pitch next season.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
There's no reason to sign a new CM thats competition for Gundogan if he signs a long term deal. He won't be out that long, and Dortmund has good cover at that position. I believe Watzke has said Gundogan has to make a decision to extend long term or go before the end of the summer, so there should be a resolution eventually. If he goes, you obviously have to buy a replacement. If he stays, Dortmund can stick with Castro as a #8 for a few months.

Even if Ilkay signs a long term extension and Miki starts playing alongside him in the middle more with the arrival of Dembele, they'll still have a need at the 8.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
What will Xhaka bring to Arsenal? Is he better than Gundogan?

They're different players and play different positions. In fact I think City would be wise to go after both, depending on what other targets Pep has in mind. Xhaka's a lot like Xabi Alonso, he sits deep in front of the defense and uses his spectacular long passing, strength on the ball, and smooth technique to be the pendulum that possession flows back to to be recycled...or for possessions to be initiated. He's also a hothead with one hell of a temper, and though this makes him an easy fan favorite, it does lead to many reds...as he doesn't yet have Xabi's referree connections.

Gundogan is a silky smooth 8 through whom possession flows forward, though his long passing isn't much worse than Xhaka's he plays a lot more shorter forward passes and weaves forward through the midfield with the ball a lot more. To continue the spanish theme he's more the Xavi/Iniesta to Granit's Xabi Alonso.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
They're different players and play different positions. In fact I think City would be wise to go after both, depending on what other targets Pep has in mind. Xhaka's a lot like Xabi Alonso, he sits deep in front of the defense and uses his spectacular long passing, strength on the ball, and smooth technique to be the pendulum that possession flows back to to be recycled...or for possessions to be initiated. He's also a hothead with one hell of a temper, and though this makes him an easy fan favorite, it does lead to many reds...as he doesn't yet have Xabi's referree connections.

Gundogan is a silky smooth 8 through whom possession flows forward, though his long passing isn't much worse than Xhaka's he plays a lot more shorter forward passes and weaves forward through the midfield with the ball a lot more. To continue the spanish theme he's more the Xavi/Iniesta to Granit's Xabi Alonso.

Sounds exactly like what Arsenal need.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Even if Ilkay signs a long term extension and Miki starts playing alongside him in the middle more with the arrival of Dembele, they'll still have a need at the 8.

We can just agree to disagree then. You seem to want to put Gundogan at a position he's not really playing. He played the 8 every single time this season but one, according to transfermarkt. He's played the #10 once or twice, if we are to believe transfermarkt, and frankly I watched a lot of games this season and don't remember him playing the #10 other than the rare game or two. If that stays the same, and he signs an extension, at best you are signing his back up who can play until he returns from injury and then back him up for the foreseeable future. I really don't think any really good #8 prospect or established player is transferring to Dortmund with the understanding that they will be a starter for 2-3 months at the most, and then a back up after that.

As I said, Gonzalo Castro is a good back up, a very valuable player. There's no need to replace his role, as he does it very well. Good #8 back up, along with being capable of filling it at a number of positions.

If Gundogan leaves, then its very straight forward, and you need a replacement, but if he signs an extension, it makes little sense to buy another #8.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
BMG officially getting linked to Grillitsch (sorta). Nabbing him & Tielemans to replace Xhaka would be better than I ever could've imagined them pulling off. Here's to hoping that Eberl can get those deals closed.

We can just agree to disagree then. You seem to want to put Gundogan at a position he's not really playing. He played the 8 every single time this season but one, according to transfermarkt. He's played the #10 once or twice, if we are to believe transfermarkt, and frankly I watched a lot of games this season and don't remember him playing the #10 other than the rare game or two. If that stays the same, and he signs an extension, at best you are signing his back up who can play until he returns from injury and then back him up for the foreseeable future. I really don't think any really good #8 prospect or established player is transferring to Dortmund with the understanding that they will be a starter for 2-3 months at the most, and then a back up after that.

As I said, Gonzalo Castro is a good back up, a very valuable player. There's no need to replace his role, as he does it very well. Good #8 back up, along with being capable of filling it at a number of positions.

If Gundogan leaves, then its very straight forward, and you need a replacement, but if he signs an extension, it makes little sense to buy another #8.

What? Where have I ever recommended Ilkay for the 10? Playing with two midfielders in front of Weigl doesn't make both of them 10s.

Castro is an adequate back up for a top 4 team, not a strong rotational guy for a team who want to beat Bayern next season. And tbh I'm with DM at this point on Castro's utility on the wing, as he has much more of an impact as a depth winger than a depth 8.

And this whole use of terms like starter & back up is so weirdly archaic.

Last edited:

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011

There's just a difference in terminology here. In a 3 man midfield, some call the midfielders a 6 and two 8's while some call them a 6, 8, and 10. Same with a 4-2-3-1, some call it a double 6 regardless of the distribution of tasks; some call the players a 6 and an 8. In this case, cgf is saying that both Mkhi and Gündogan would be 8's with Weigl as a 6.

Anyway, it depends entirely on who leaves. If Kagawa and Leitner are sold, then there's definitely a need for another 8. I've read that the recovery time for players who suffer Gündogan's injury varies a lot, and some players fall out for over a year. If they were really confident that Gündogan would be back in October, then they might not need another player. Personally I would lean toward getting a high quality replacement either way. Oliver would be cool if Atletico and Dortmund could get closer on a price.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
So much for Gotze.

I don't think this game has any impact on that one way or another.

What this game did do is remove the haze and allow people to acknowledge that not rebuilding the team would be idiotic. We have a lot of trash in the squad, out on loan, etc.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't agree completely. It might not help, but he's young enough to take a season off Europe and help them build if he really does want to come play for Klopp.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Yeah, sorry Liverpool, I actually wanted you guys to win that match, but as a Goetze fan, I'd rather him go elsewhere now. Arsenal or Dortmund.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Joey Barton, Kranjcar and Ings all linked with Glasgow Rangers, how realistic these are who knows. Barton just promoted with Burnley, Ings could probably play at a lower EPL club while Kranjcar is on semi-retirement in the NASL and a luxury player even for SPL

It seems the first page of the thread is the last thing I saw

Ings went for 7 million a year ago :laugh:

Kranjcar will be a complete charlatan in the Scottish Premiership

Barton is Rangers personified. Hope he goes there on twenty grand a week and kills the ******** again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->