OT: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. GO CANADA GO!

Jack Tripper

Vey Falls Down
Dec 15, 2009
Perth, WA
extremely disappointing finish for rowing canada at the completion of the regatta

women's eights flamed out after 1000m and the decision to break up the men's eights into smaller boats couldn't have backfired worse

after swimming, no summer event gets more funding than rowing and its not an area where just trying hard and showing up should be acceptable

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
I meant to bring this up last night:

Not only is Golden Penny the incredibly wonderful surprise of this Olympics, but she is humble in her words, quick to deflect her accomplishments towards her teammates, and far more relaxed and well spoken than her young years give away.
Well spoken, perhaps, like a humble Canadian hockey player - or someone close to one..

Spoken, and performed, like a true Canadian - with an incredible future ahead.
We should all be proud of her and the Red and White she represents.

Congrats Golden Girl. We are beyond proud to witness your beginning.

Golden Penny has definitely been the star of the show so far for Canada. Her teammate Taylor Ruck is also having a good showing and she is also 16. Great news for Canada swimming going into 2020 and 2024. I remember a time when we always sucked at swimming.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I mean no disrespect to the people in the events...but why is horse jumping an event? Its a competition between humans. I just saw a horse run up to a jump, go "lolnope" and stop. Just decided to stop. This lady's Olympics are over cuz the horse wasnt feelin it today. Rider did nothing wrong. I mean...lets be honest....you kinda just steer the horse and hope it feels like jumping over the thing. May as well bring in auto racing in at that point.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I mean no disrespect to the people in the events...but why is horse jumping an event? Its a competition between humans. I just saw a horse run up to a jump, go "lolnope" and stop. Just decided to stop. This lady's Olympics are over cuz the horse wasnt feelin it today. Rider did nothing wrong. I mean...lets be honest....you kinda just steer the horse and hope it feels like jumping over the thing. May as well bring in auto racing in at that point.

Auto sports are specifically not allowed because they use a motor.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
I'm real excited to see the Open Water Swimming events. I may or may not be related to one of our two athletes competing. :yo:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

I have no idea, but if I could take an educated guess it probably has something to do with the Olympics starting as a wealthy/upper class competition.

You know that bit about amateur athletes only? That was started intentionally to keep the common working class riffraff from competing, as back in 1900 only the wealthy had the luxury of training full time for a sporting competition like the Olympics.

Knowing that, it's not hard to see how they organizing committee would decide to include equestrian competition in the games over a 100 years ago.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
You know that bit about amateur athletes only? That was started intentionally to keep the common working class riffraff from competing, as back in 1900 only the wealthy had the luxury of training full time for a sporting competition like the Olympics.

OT - One of the main reasons Mark Spitz retired *at the age of 22*. Back then, unless you 'had money already' - how else were you supposed to support yourself?

But back to the topic of this thread...

Maybe somebody should tell this person:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pittsburgh-writer-says-vancouver-2010-olympics-dangerous

about THIS:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-ryan-lochte-held-up-at-gunpoint-in-rio-142146325.html

Last edited:

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Auto sports are specifically not allowed because they use a motor.

The horse is another animal! Although it does only have 1hp. :sarcasm:. Still I hate the rule. The sports that aren't in compared to the sports that are is kinda silly. Why isn't Cricket in? It's the second most popular sport in the world with an estimated 2 billion fans of the sport. BUT ribbon gymnastics is in. And syncronized swimming. Two things nobody ever watches unless it's the Olympics. Bunch of girls flailing around together in a pool wearing makeup. Add piranhas to it. That'll make things fun.

I'm real excited to see the Open Water Swimming events. I may or may not be related to one of our two athletes competing. :yo:

Thats awesome! Good luck to your may or may not be relatives.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
I have no idea, but if I could take an educated guess it probably has something to do with the Olympics starting as a wealthy/upper class competition.

Knowing that, it's not hard to see how they organizing committee would decide to include equestrian competition in the games over a 100 years ago.

I'm glad they scrapped that. As much as it does allow for more even competition, the best athletes in the world should be there.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
OT - One of the main reasons Mark Spitz retired *at the age of 22*. Back then, unless you 'had money already' - how else were you supposed to support yourself?

But back to the topic of this thread...

Maybe somebody should tell this person:

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/pittsburgh-writer-says-vancouver-2010-olympics-dangerous

about THIS:

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-ryan-lochte-held-up-at-gunpoint-in-rio-142146325.html

I just tweeted that to him. What a clown. Guy has a real hate on for Vancouver. Maybe a DTES hooker stiffed him.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Golden Penny has definitely been the star of the show so far for Canada. Her teammate Taylor Ruck is also having a good showing and she is also 16. Great news for Canada swimming going into 2020 and 2024. I remember a time when we always sucked at swimming.

Good call. Ms. Ruck also seems to have a bright future ahead of her. Lets hope she and Golden Penny keep working hard, and achieve equal or better in 2020.

The talent is there.

Fingers crossed!

..dang it! Finger cramp again! And it's my remote control/nose picking hand! ;)

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
Definitely deserves it. She's our soccer version of Hayley Wickenheiser at this point.

Went to high school with her in Burnaby. Real good person too.

Canada's finally starting to produce some world-class players to surround her with. Beckie's first touch was outstanding, and she takes a lot of the offensive pressure off Sinclair. Also, she can actually score.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad