OT: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. GO CANADA GO!

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
Sweden beats USA in Soccer in penalties.
Sweet.

Shouldn't have had their goal disallowed in extra time. Was onside when the ball was played and the ball deflected to her from an American player. Glad it didn't cost Sweden the game.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is very quickly turning into an excellent Olympics for Canada. Or our women, at least.

We're only 1 medal behind Germany right now, who had 25 more medals than us in 2012. :amazed:

baxtefer

Aug 8, 2012
Shouldn't have had their goal disallowed in extra time. Was onside when the ball was played and the ball deflected to her from an American player. Glad it didn't cost Sweden the game.

Yup. And the Lloyd disallowed "goal" was a foul, not offside.

Startel

ChuckBartowskiMovie
Feb 15, 2014
Someone should really check on K2B. I also thought that the Chinese girl routine looked better than Rosie's but i'm not complaining, and with the States losing its been a great few days for the Olympics

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
This Olympics is going ridiculously well. Refs handed us that game against France though.

It's fun to cheer for a winning team.

Burke's Evil Spirit

Oct 29, 2002
San Francisco
If Christine Sinclair wins a gold medal I think I'll actually cry.

What a gutsy win.

The terrible state of Brazilian pitches (it's winter there) is probably an advantage given the counterattacking style Canada plays.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
If Christine Sinclair wins a gold medal I think I'll actually cry.

What a gutsy win.

The terrible state of Brazilian pitches (it's winter there) is probably an advantage given the counterattacking style Canada plays.

Definitely deserves it. She's our soccer version of Hayley Wickenheiser at this point.

Went to high school with her in Burnaby. Real good person too.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
We did send some men to Rio, right?

But damn. Full credit to the Canadian women for kicking all kinds of ass.

Also to a 16 year-old who is in better shape than anyone I will probably ever know. Amazing job, Penny.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
I meant to bring this up last night:

Not only is Golden Penny the incredibly wonderful surprise of this Olympics, but she is humble in her words, quick to deflect her accomplishments towards her teammates, and far more relaxed and well spoken than her young years give away.
Well spoken, perhaps, like a humble Canadian hockey player - or someone close to one..

Spoken, and performed, like a true Canadian - with an incredible future ahead.
We should all be proud of her and the Red and White she represents.

Congrats Golden Girl. We are beyond proud to witness your beginning.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
I meant to bring this up last night:

Not only is Golden Penny the incredibly wonderful surprise of this Olympics, but she is humble in her words, quick to deflect her accomplishments towards her teammates, and far more relaxed and well spoken than her young years give away.
Well spoken, perhaps, like a humble Canadian hockey player - or someone close to one..

Spoken, and performed, like a true Canadian - with an incredible future ahead.
We should all be proud of her and the Red and White she represents.

Congrats Golden Girl. We are beyond proud to witness your beginning.

Hugely, hugely impressive feat. And at an age when most of us are looking up home remedies for acne and studying for our learner's permits.

Golden Penny.

A National Pride.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad