OT: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. GO CANADA GO!

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The two goals the women scored vs Brazil were simply wonderful. What a delight.

Fleming is going to be a huge star.

Note that Canada won when Matheson drew in again.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Nationalism aside... that looked like an equivalent of a walking dive...
The Japanese guy began pull up aside him and looked stronger at that point, and the bump occurred which is the foul.... but didn't seem to do anything significant..3 or 4 strides later the Japanese guy edges slightly ahead, then the Canadian buckles himself...

Maybe i just don't get the sport.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If it's that controversial just give them both bronze medals and be done with it (a la the synchronized swimming foul-up many years back). Ridiculous for an athlete to be put through that sort of emotional wringer.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Dunfee, the Canadian race walker who ended up in fourth, made a pretty classy statement. I'm summarizing here, but my understanding is that he said he could have appealed to the Court of Arbitration, but chose note to, saying that the Japanese runner simply bumped him accidentally and that he didn't want to take it further: he wouldn't feel proud of his medal.

Edit: here's the quote:
"I had the option to appeal to CAS [the Court of Arbitration for Sport] and to me, I couldn't have honestly and appropriately gone a step further," said Dunfee.

"He [Arai] was in the same world of hurt [as me]. He brushed my shoulder. I'm an aggressive walker and maybe I leaned into him. When I finally watched the video, I couldn't say to myself that [there was intent on his part].

"I had to ask myself, if I got this medal, would I be proud of it … and be able to sleep at night," Dunfee added. "I came to the decision I was so proud of my race and that I couldn't honestly take away from him what he did."

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/evan-dunfee-sets-canadian-record-places-4th-50km-race-walk.html

Last edited:

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Dunfee, the Canadian race walker who ended up in fourth, made a pretty classy statement. I'm summarizing here, but my understanding is that he said he could have appealed to the Court of Arbitration, but chose note to, saying that the Japanese runner simply bumped him accidentally and that he didn't want to take it further: he wouldn't feel proud of his medal.

Edit: here's the quote:
"I had the option to appeal to CAS [the Court of Arbitration for Sport] and to me, I couldn't have honestly and appropriately gone a step further," said Dunfee.

"He [Arai] was in the same world of hurt [as me]. He brushed my shoulder. I'm an aggressive walker and maybe I leaned into him. When I finally watched the video, I couldn't say to myself that [there was intent on his part].

"I had to ask myself, if I got this medal, would I be proud of it … and be able to sleep at night," Dunfee added. "I came to the decision I was so proud of my race and that I couldn't honestly take away from him what he did."

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/evan-dunfee-sets-canadian-record-places-4th-50km-race-walk.html

I'm more impressed with him after his response than if he had actually won bronze. Class act. True Olympic spirit.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
If it's that controversial just give them both bronze medals and be done with it (a la the synchronized swimming foul-up many years back). Ridiculous for an athlete to be put through that sort of emotional wringer.

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a US athlete would get awarded the bronze if he had been bumped.

This is just the state of the Olympics. The 4 American women *****ed about getting bumped in the relay yesterday, not only were they given a second opportunity in a SOLO RACE, but the judges and officials overlooked the Americans lane violation in that race.

The hell with the Olympics. Much like FIFA, corruption is running rampant in the IOC.

baxtefer

Aug 8, 2012
There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a US athlete would get awarded the bronze if he had been bumped.

This is just the state of the Olympics. The 4 American women *****ed about getting bumped in the relay yesterday, not only were they given a second opportunity in a SOLO RACE, but the judges and officials overlooked the Americans lane violation in that race.

The hell with the Olympics. Much like FIFA, corruption is running rampant in the IOC.

There was a lane violation? Which leg?

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The US is appealing the DQ in the men's 4x100 relay. I don't think there's been a ruling yet.

Update: News this morning -- the appeal was rejected.

Last edited:

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
The US is appealing the DQ in the men's 4x100 relay. I don't think there's been a ruling yet.

Update: News this morning -- the appeal was rejected.
Tough to feel too sorry about them with cheaters like Gatlin (MULTIPLE times caught! ). Actually, I feel sorry for the clean, non-cheater athlete that Gatlin replaced on their squad.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I didn't even have to investigate to know it was Tim Thompson behind that video. That guy is the ****ing master at montages which bring on the feels.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Good job Canada in the olympics

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad