OT: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. GO CANADA GO!

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Rugby 7's is awesome, hopefully it sticks to the Olympics for good. I've been so out of touch with international rugby for the past 6-7 years, I need to find a cheap streaming service to get back into it. EA Sports actually had a great rugby game back around 2004-05.

It's so exciting and fast paced I don't understand why it's not more popular in North America.

It has the hitting and contact of football, non stop action or soccer, the grit of hockey. It also can be technical and cerebral.

Only thing I can think off is its not a great sport for stat tracking so no fantasy. That and lack of exposure obviously.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
It's so exciting and fast paced I don't understand why it's not more popular in North America.

It has the hitting and contact of football, non stop action or soccer, the grit of hockey. It also can be technical and cerebral.

Only thing I can think off is its not a great sport for stat tracking so no fantasy. That and lack of exposure obviously.

It's funny because the sport is pretty big at the high school level over in my neck of the woods (Vancouver Island) but it doesn't really translate to TV viewership it seems. It doesn't feel like there is as many household names these days either but maybe that is just because I've been away from it for so long. I think I still have an old All Blacks jersey stashed away somewhere from back when Jonah Lomu was the big name (RIP).

7's is a great way to get people introduced to the sport. It's incredibly fast paced and the games really aren't that long of an investment. The 7's tournament in Vancouver reportedly did really well, I wish I could have caught it.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
It's funny because the sport is pretty big at the high school level over in my neck of the woods (Vancouver Island) but it doesn't really translate to TV viewership it seems. It doesn't feel like there is as many household names these days either but maybe that is just because I've been away from it for so long. I think I still have an old All Blacks jersey stashed away somewhere from back when Jonah Lomu was the big name (RIP).

7's is a great way to get people introduced to the sport. It's incredibly fast paced and the games really aren't that long of an investment. The 7's tournament in Vancouver reportedly did really well, I wish I could have caught it.

Rugby coverage in Canada is appalling.

I lived in NZ for 3 years and got hugely into it (Super Rugby season tix cost like $250) and watch as much as I possibly can but aside from the odd international game you're out-of-luck unless you try wading through dodgy internet streams.

Super Rugby used to be on SN World but was dropped this year as TSN now owns the rights but chooses to air absolutely nothing on their 5 freaking channels, instead choosing to air SportsCentre reruns all night on all of them. So frustrating.

TSN did show some major internationals about 2 months ago but it's spotty at best.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The Canadian Women played a brilliant soccer game -- so well organized in defence, so determined and aggressive and so smart at the same time. I loved every second. Very impressive.

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
The Canadian Women played a brilliant soccer game -- so well organized in defence, so determined and aggressive and so smart at the same time. I loved every second. Very impressive.

They didn't even play Sinclair or Beckie, their two best scorers. Great, great game.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
tough break for canada to go 3-0 and still have to face the 2 seed where as the other group winners get the 3s. Guess the other 1 seeds face off in the semis though.

edit: also our group's top 3 advance where as only the better of the two 3-seeds from the other group advances.

Last edited:

Jumex

Dec 17, 2009
Salisbury, UK
So in terms of overall medal performance for Canada, what equates to a "good" games?

I see you guys got 18 in both 2008 & 2012, although 2012 was better in terms of Gold & Silver.

In terms of GB, we probably will never match 2012, but as long as we beat the likes of Australia, France & Germany we're good!

Solidius

#TankLivesMatter
Jul 7, 2006
Vancouver, B.C.
So in terms of overall medal performance for Canada, what equates to a "good" games?

I see you guys got 18 in both 2008 & 2012, although 2012 was better in terms of Gold & Silver.

In terms of GB, we probably will never match 2012, but as long as we beat the likes of Australia, France & Germany we're good!

Team Canada wants a top 12 medal finish which, projected, would be more than their London totals.

But I've always felt, generally, that as a nation we're "just happy to be here" with the exception of some of the women's competitions.

Interestingly enough, Canada has a 100% gold medal ratio in Lacrosse. Impressive. :sarcasm:

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver

I have a question for someone who follows international football closer than I do.

Why did the German coaches have "Germany" on their shirts? Shouldn't it be "Deutschland" ?

I also thought the Canadian approach to the game was brilliant. They knew they were not going to out possession the Germans, so they defended well (and lucky at times) and counter punched.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Hard to say exactly, some people in this country have way too high expectations for us when it comes to the Summer games. I'd say if we can match London and Beijing I would say it would be a success for us, as those were relatively successful games as well, as compared to Athens and Sydney.

In my opinion we have gotten off to a very good start, and what often happens has happened, where we fail to medal in a few events we expect to, like the 3m syncro diving, but surprise in just as many events to kind of even it out.

Those damn men need to step up though! Only women have medalled so far, though I'm aware a lot of the men's events haven't started yet. Hoping for a bit of an upset and a medal from Santo in the pool tonight in 100m freestyle!

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
So uh, Michael Phelps is on the verge of breaking a 2100 Olympic record for most individual gold medals. :laugh:

Meh, there seems to be less interest in the summer games than in previous years. I think more people are realizing that the IOC is massively corrupt and the Olympics are a mere sporting event for the most powerful countries to showcase their dominance...

Regardless, I am proud watching Canadians hit the podium. I read an interesting article which highlighted how little funding our athletes get compared to the US, Russia and China (2x less than the US per athlete). This is why it becomes an amazing achievement when any Canadian gets a medal.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Meh, there seems to be less interest in the summer games than in previous years. I think more people are realizing that the IOC is massively corrupt and the Olympics are a mere sporting event for the most powerful countries to showcase their dominance...

Regardless, I am proud watching Canadians hit the podium. I read an interesting article which highlighted how little funding our athletes get compared to the US, Russia and China (2x less than the US per athlete). This is why it becomes an amazing achievement when any Canadian gets a medal.

Yea the Olympics are corrupt and political...but the athletes thenselves are rarely involved with it and just want to work towards their goal. Our funding has gotten a lot better since 08. The Vancouver Olympics kind of kicked our Olympic programs into gear. We wanted to come into our home games strong and you can still see the benefits of Own the Podium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad