OT: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. GO CANADA GO!

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Anytime someone is way ahead of the pack, all I can think is : Roids.

Unfortunately it's ruined the rep for all these competitions and isn't fair to those that compete honestly.

Would love if they had a steroid Olympics though. 100m dash in 6 seconds would be a sight to see.

Long jump of 10 meters

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.

Unfortunately it's ruined the rep for all these competitions and isn't fair to those that compete honestly.

Would love if they had a steroid Olympics though. 100m dash in 6 seconds would be a sight to see.

Long jump of 10 meters

By all accounts the Olympics has the most rigorous drug testing of any sports event. It's possible that the odd athlete slips through the cracks but it doesn't happen often enough to trivialize the games imo.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Long jump of 10 meters

Then why do it?

black ace

Jul 4, 2006
Vancouver
By all accounts the Olympics has the most rigorous drug testing of any sports event. It's possible that the odd athlete slips through the cracks but it doesn't happen often enough to trivialize the games imo.

Not sure you can say that as we currently go through one of the biggest doping scandals in history.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver

Ya I'm not trying to trivialize it all. Just writing my thoughts

Upoil

Zaboomafoo
Aug 8, 2010
Bermuda

Can't really say this on the back of the Russian doping scandal. Also testing clean at the Olympics in no way confirms the athlete didn't use steroids during their training. All it proves is that they didn't take the drugs tested for in the amount of time leading up to the competition.

just22

Aug 2, 2009
Can't really say this on the back of the Russian doping scandal. Also testing clean at the Olympics in no way confirms the athlete didn't use steroids during their training. All it proves is that they didn't take the drugs tested for in the amount of time leading up to the competition.

I think the detection time is like several months to over a year is it not?

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
Phelps is greatness personified. 19 gold medals puts him 3rd on the all time golds won by country list ***during his career***.

Edit: I didn't explain this very well. I ment gold medals won over the course of his career. So it's 19 gold for him vs. The rest during Phelps career. Based on this Phelps is 3rd, Australia 2nd, and of course USA 1st. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Phelps is greatness personified. 19 gold medals puts him 3rd on the all time golds won by country list.

That's not even close to being true. Like not even in the same universe.

That's not even true for swimming only, which you may have meant, in which he would be tied for 6th.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary
I think the detection time is like several months to over a year is it not?

They keep samples on file for when detection methods become updated. It is always a race, for those who cheat and those trying to catch them.

lousy

Jul 20, 2004
Calgary

I don't think that is true. These athletes are tested constantly at all of the competitions they go to. Not just at the olympics.

The rub with the russian scandal is that they had a method in place to avoid detection.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I don't think that is true. These athletes are tested constantly at all of the competitions they go to. Not just at the olympics.

The rub with the russian scandal is that they had a method in place to avoid detection.

Yes the distinction with the Russian fiasco is that it was State sponsored. An athlete may try to cheat, and maybe gets his coaches and/or trainers in on it, but do you think Stephen Harper or Justin Trudeau would involve themselves in rigging up a process for the entire Canadian team?

This is a throwback to the Cold War era, where Olympics could be used as a propaganda proxy to the superiority of a nations ideology. Not to delve into politics but what's happening there in Russia probably has a lot to do with Putin trying to push his nation to become a super power again and this is just one avenue to show to his people and the world how great Russia is.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014

Long jump of 10 meters

She won the same event in London at 15. She has done nothing but win since and her times progressively get better. Now 4 years later she does it again in world record time. The swimmers around the world recognize her as the best and no one questions her drug free state. The girl is simply the best in the world at what she does and congrats to her.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Phelps is greatness personified. 19 gold medals puts him 3rd on the all time golds won by country list.

I disagree as a swimmer he has a way more opportunity to win medals.

You can't run the 100 meter 4 different ways.

He is probably the greatest swimmer of all time( no idea on history of sport) and in the conversation for greatest Olympian.

If Usain Bolt wins his third 100 meter he will definitley be in that conversation as well.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I disagree as a swimmer he has a way more opportunity to win medals.

You can't run the 100 meter 4 different ways.

He is probably the greatest swimmer of all time( no idea on history of sport) and in the conversation for greatest Olympian.

If Usain Bolt wins his third 100 meter he will definitley be in that conversation as well.
Mark Spitz retired pretty early (22). We'll never know if he could've come close to Phelps total (granted the 1980 boycott would limit that total - but that again sort of goes with your argument regarding "opportunities").

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
What an amazing race for Silver by Oleksiak. She JUST turned 16 in June...and she posted the 5th best time ever recorded at that distance. She will dominate in 2020.
Loved her reaction too. She didn't even look at the board, didn't realize how well she had done.
Eventually she glanced over...and was shocked and overcome by emotion.
A great moment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad