OT: 2016 Summer Olympics - Rio De Janeiro, Brazil. GO CANADA GO!

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
She's my #1 crush period. A beautiful woman who also happens to play my favourite sport? Um, yeah!

Yeah, that's a better way of putting it actually. And tennis is awesome to watch.

No medals today, but some nice advances.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
BRONZE IN WOMEN'S 4X100 FREESTYLE RELAY!!!!

WOOOOOOO OUR FIRST MEDAL!!!!!!!!!!

rio-bronze-medal-back.jpg

GREAT JOB LADIES!!!

JA

Friedman is doing commentary? Strange. He doesn't exactly have "the voice" for that line of work.
He is a last-minute replacement for Steve Armitage, who had to miss the Olympics due to being recently diagnosed with chronic heart failure.

Elliotte was originally supposed to be the sideline reporter.

http://olympics.cbc.ca/news/article/steve-armitage-miss-olympics-due-chronic-heart-problems.html
Steve Armitage to miss Olympics due to chronic heart problems
Veteran announcer will be replaced by Elliotte Friedman
Jul 28, 01:29 PM ET

CBC Sports broadcaster Steve Armitage has stepped down from the network's Olympic broadcast team.

Armitage was scheduled to provide commentary for swimming and diving before being recently diagnosed with chronic heart failure. This condition refers to fluid buildup around the heart, impacting the organ's ability to pump blood.

The Rio Olympics would have been his 16th Games as a broadcaster.

Elliotte Friedman will replace Armitage, joining Byron MacDonald (swimming) and Blythe Hartley (diving). Friedman's sideline aquatics reporting responsibilities will be handled by Andrew Chang and David Amber.​

"I am not going to Rio for the Games because I have no other choice," Armitage said in a press release. "If I thought I could 'wing it' or fake it, I would be there."

"To use a bad pun, I'd be there in a heartbeat, but the doctors suggest strongly that I would be putting myself at risk," he said.

Armitage has been honoured with three Gemini Awards, the Foster Hewitt Award and was inducted into the British Columbia Sports Hall of Fame.

"While we are disappointed that he will not be part of our broadcast team in Rio, Steve's health comes first and we are in full support of his decision to remain at home," Greg Stremlaw, CBC Sports' executive director and general manager and chef de mission for CBC/Radio-Canada's coverage of Rio, said in a press release.

"Steve's are big shoes to fill, but we have the utmost confidence in Elliotte's ability to step in to provide our audiences with the world-class coverage for which he and our Olympic Games broadcasts are known."

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I'm gonna miss Armitage, been doing it for so long when I imagine Olympic events I can hear his voice.

Grape

Jul 22, 2016
Vancouver girl!

Went to my school! Quite honestly I think she's a bit disappointed at 5th though. From what I understand a lot of people around her expected her to medal since practically everything we've seen her do is win. If her hamstring didn't act up I think she would've had a legitimate shot for sure.

5th is awesome though, especially after the final 50m where she caught up from 7th.

Frostage

May 23, 2014
Did anyone see that Spanish swimmer get DQ'd for a false start. Obviously he was crushed. Then after he left the floor they brought him back and told him it was a time-keepers error and let him race.

Talk about a roller-coaster- of emotions, and then he is supposed to perform at his absolute best. Crazy.

But I was happy he got to race.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Canada beats France in the Rugby quarter finals to play Australia tomorrow! Another good chance at a medal!!

Lemmiwinks

Jun 11, 2011
B.C.
Men's Volleyball on TSN right now vs. USA.

Man that first set was atrocious. Everyone was trying to just kill their serve and there were about 15-20 faults as a result, and little in the way of entertaining rallies. The 2nd was much better, Canada cruising along thus far.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
Man that first set was atrocious. Everyone was trying to just kill their serve and there were about 15-20 faults as a result, and little in the way of entertaining rallies. The 2nd was much better, Canada cruising along thus far.
Killer rally happened to end the third and final set. Canada with the upset victory. :yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad