2016 QMJHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
Its a great draft for the Maritimes in general. Lots of PEI guys too

To me looks pretty comparable to 2012 Q Draft for islanders.. one kid that looks like a safe bet to be a good Q player (Dobson - Kielly) and about three more kids with some serious league potential (McQuaid, Fortin, Casey), the 2012 crop couldn't put it together (Gallant, McCabe, White) but the potential was definitely there.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
Yeah, I think there are only a few every year that play as 16 year olds. I think if you remove the USNDTP from the count, I agree that the USHL likely has very few 16 year olds. A lot seem to play High School until they are 18 anyway.

the preffered route now ( for those that are not top 5-7 picks in their draft year)
from a U S perspective is 2 yrs of varsity D1 ( till 18 years old) ...commit to a D1/D3 college
but play one year of JrA and come in as a freshman at 20yrs

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
We released our QMJHL draft guide two weeks ago HERE. Once again this year we have top 200 rankings for Quebec & Atlantic players. Top-30 USA rankings. Total we have 230 profiles in the guide. Plus over 75 game reports & 5 tournament recaps.

Preview of our rankings here (top-10) http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-qmjhl-draft-top-200-prospects-final-rankings/

Our mock draft was released today http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-qmjhl-mock-draft/

we have 5 different ISO videos on the site
Gabriel Fortier
Mathias Laferriere
Jeremie Bucheler
Noah Dobson
Benoit-Olivier Groulx

I expect a lot of trades on friday and saturday, meaning our mock draft will be useless come draft day :laugh:

Enjoy the draft, it was fun year again following this draft class.

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
Thanks for putting together a mock draft of the first round. I like it, was a good read. It bothers me when people cut up the work of other people without offering to do the same work, having said that :) here are a couple of points.
I have trouble seeing McIssac falling to third. I hear what you are saying about the Q being an offensive league but this is a kid who can be a top pairing defenseman for his 17-18-19 and possibly 20 year old season. Although it is an offensive league most GM feel that defense wins championships. I love Laferriere so high cause I think he will be a good one. Also like Element being high as I think he brings a lot to a team but his injury may scare teams off. Bucheler seems to be leaning towards the US and this will scare teams and for sure scare Cape Breton as they will have trouble explaining to their fan base why another first rounder will not report. Also agree that the SeaDogs will take Bowers. Good mock draft, thanks again.

Why do you have a problem with McIsaac falling to third? Olivier-Groulx is in a league of his own. He's the clear cut 1st overall. Do you honestly feel McIsaac is willing to go to Baie Comeau? I'd bet my house on it - Fortier won't go second, nor will McIsaac; unless there is a trade that happens. But, that's the fun part of watching the draft :)

ClemQ

Jun 14, 2012
when all is said and done i think the Mooseheads end with both Groulx and Mcisaac...they are setting things with McIsaac, i know he has told a few teams he is exploring USA route as well.....i know the Mooseheads too have been in big talks with the Bowers family......last year shane bowers was ready to play QMJHL for halifax or saint john, so i see no difference with this year of one of those two teams take him. I would look for any one of those two teams to pull some funny things off at the draft.............I really think the Rodrigue goalie wants to play for Chicoutimi so you might see them do a few things to try to get him in the draft, his father played for them and was goalie coach for them (his father is now goalie coach for edmonton oilers) and he has a chicoutimi logo already on his mask lol.

Good mock draft IMO, the only things i see if all picks stayed the same is I see Halifax taking Bowers instead of Laferrier.

I see Halifax getting the 2nd overall pick as Mooseheads want McIsaac and Baie Comeau wants Capenellie to commit to their team next year and the mooseheads have Durandeau who is his past line mate and good friend so i could see some offering going on there.........

Im curious as to what is going to happen to a guy like TJ Walsh in the USA, very good player reminds me of Connor Garland but Walsh maybe be a slight bigger, he is not on the NTDP team for next year so will teams like Halifax, Quebec, Moncton, Saint John be targeting a guy like that right now. I also really like John Murray from the USA who plays for Nobel Greenough HS who is 6'02/200 pounds, he uses his size, has good hockey sense and a big shot from the point and i think there is a chance he would come up.

Also wondering if Xavier Bouchard will be a guy Rouyn Noranda tries to get his father is the GM and coach of the team, but I do not think nor do i think they would think too it would be a good idea to have a father and son on the same team in that position.

Good stuff! I wouldn't be surprised if there is a trade in the works for that second pick also, but, if there is no trade; don't be surprised to see BC take a goalie with that second pick overall. They started the last rebuild from the back end, and, will no doubt do the same this time around.

Campanelli will not be in BC....count on it. He is being traded.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Good stuff! I wouldn't be surprised if there is a trade in the works for that second pick also, but, if there is no trade; don't be surprised to see BC take a goalie with that second pick overall. They started the last rebuild from the back end, and, will no doubt do the same this time around.

Campanelli will not be in BC....count on it. He is being traded.

Yeah, I've heard he is traded to Moncton. We'll find out Friday I guess

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
Why do you have a problem with McIsaac falling to third? Olivier-Groulx is in a league of his own. He's the clear cut 1st overall. Do you honestly feel McIsaac is willing to go to Baie Comeau? I'd bet my house on it - Fortier won't go second, nor will McIsaac; unless there is a trade that happens. But, that's the fun part of watching the draft :)

I agree that Olivier-Groulx is first overall and in a league of his own. I just think that McIsaac will go second if not to Baie Comeau then to a trade for that second overall pick.

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
We released our QMJHL draft guide two weeks ago HERE. Once again this year we have top 200 rankings for Quebec & Atlantic players. Top-30 USA rankings. Total we have 230 profiles in the guide. Plus over 75 game reports & 5 tournament recaps.

Preview of our rankings here (top-10) http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-qmjhl-draft-top-200-prospects-final-rankings/

Our mock draft was released today http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-qmjhl-mock-draft/

Gabriel Fortier
Mathias Laferriere
Jeremie Bucheler
Noah Dobson
Benoit-Olivier Groulx

I expect a lot of trades on friday and saturday, meaning our mock draft will be useless come draft day :laugh:

Damn, couldn't keep my eyes off Simoneau the entire Groulx video, what a motor on the kid despite his size to go along with the skill and IQ.

Hard not to look forward to next draft with the 01 class being that good.

JeromeHP

Jan 9, 2003
Montreal
hockeyprospect.com
Damn, couldn't keep my eyes off Simoneau the entire Groulx video, what a motor on the kid despite his size to go along with the skill and IQ.

Hard not to look forward to next draft with the 01 class being that good.

He's really fun to watch, hockey IQ is off the chart. Size is the big question mark with him. Next year should be fun with him, Poulin, Parent and Lafreniere.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He grew a lot since last year Canada game, i think he was 5-10 maybe at the time. Very good player. I have him going to Bathurst at 5, will see what happen on saturday.

I can really see Charlottetown trying to trade up for him. Word around charlottetown is Hulton wants a defenceman.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014

Gabriel Fortier
Mathias Laferriere
Jeremie Bucheler
Noah Dobson
Benoit-Olivier Groulx

My grandson goes to school with Bucheler and he is telling people that he isn't going to the draft tomorrow. Mind is set for the USHL for the team that drafted him.

He was in school today so unless he plans on taking a plane, later on, this might be true.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
My grandson goes to school with Bucheler and he is telling people that he isn't going to the draft tomorrow. Mind is set for the USHL for the team that drafted him.

He was in school today so unless he plans on taking a plane, later on, this might be true.

i heard he is going NCAA route...but dont let a player not showing up be a tell, that is part of the game to many teams for the players not to go to throw the image they are not interested in going QMJHL route so teams will see that and not take them.

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
i heard he is going NCAA route...but dont let a player not showing up be a tell, that is part of the game to many teams for the players not to go to throw the image they are not interested in going QMJHL route so teams will see that and not take them.

I know of at least one team he told that he was going the NCAA route:), having said that it would not surprise me that a he gets drafted and plays for a couple of teams. Also Scoutman I think you may be bang on, hanging around the bar here earlier lots of talk about Halifax, winding up with Groulx and McIsaac. Also Bowers:nod:

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
I know of at least one team he told that he was going the NCAA route:), having said that it would not surprise me that a he gets drafted and plays for a couple of teams. Also Scoutman I think you may be bang on, hanging around the bar here earlier lots of talk about Halifax, winding up with Groulx and McIsaac. Also Bowers:nod:

Bowers has stated his intention to return to USHL next season, but I guess that won't prevent teams from picking him. Might see him fall farther down because of this though.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/sports/1369467-halifax’s-shane-bowers-commits-to-ushl-return

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad