2016 QMJHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

wingmanpei

Jul 1, 2006
PEI, Canada
I'll probably drop in for the first few rounds. I like watching the hockey drafts on tv and thought it was neat to see one live the last time Charlottetown hosted a Q draft

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
My mock draft

1. Halifax Mooseheads - Benoit-Olivier Groulx
This is a no brainer IMO. Building a good forward core is what makes teams successful at this level, and good defensemen are often found later in the first and the second, where the Moose have lots of picks. Groulx will fit in nicely with Somppi, Durandeau, Fortier, and Hischier if he indeed is going to be picked by the Herd in the import draft.

2. Baie-Comeau Drakkar - Gabriel Fortier
Fortier is the second highest top forward available, and quite possibly the best skater in the draft. He will rejuvenate an extremely mediocre Drakkar offense, and will be given every opportunity to shine and be a star. McIsaac could be looked at but doubtful he would report.

3. Drummondville Voltigeurs - Jared McIsaac
In my opinion, Ducharme should have no trouble getting McIsaac to report, and I see it as a great fit. With a solid group of OAs, McIsaac could step right onto the Volts and contribute to what looks like may be a half decent team. He is the complete package when it comes to D in the draft and it would immensely surprise me if Ducharme let him slip.

4. Sherbrooke Phoenix - Andrew Coxhead
The Phoenix will be in need of some forward help next season, and Coxhead will fit in nicely. The powerforward is rumoured to be looking at the NCAA route, but I don’t think it’d surprise anyone if he were to report to the Phoenix, who already have former NS born first round picks Fitzpatrick and Sartoris on board.

5. Bathurst Titan - Anderson MacDonald
The Titan could add to an already deep forward core. MacDonald is a New Brunswick boy, and if his skating improves, could be a bigtime pro prospect. With Morand, Kuznetsov, Maher, and now potentially MacDonald, the Titan’s forward group would be set for years to come.

6. Blainville-Boisbriand Armada - Olivier Rodrigue
To nobody’s surprise, the Armada take their goalie of the future with Montembeault graduating. Rodrigue will step into a competitive environment and should fit in nicely with a good defensive system in place.

7. Halifax Mooseheads - Mathias Laferriere
The Mooseheads continue to add to an already impressive group of forward prospects. Laferriere improved a great deal as the year went on and will continue to with the Mooseheads core under Bear Tourigny.

8. Moncton Wildcats - Noah Dobson
With a long and strong connection to Island players, the Wildcats make no mistake in taking Dobson, who IMO is the top defender of the draft. He will be a #1 in this league, and is exactly what the Cats need, with Rodrigue now off the board.
9. Cape Breton Screaming Eagles - Jeremy Bucheler
The Screaming Eagles are going to see a number of defensemen leave their roster, and Bucheler is the most Q ready D available. He has good size, can skate, and seems like a Dumont type of player.

10. Chicoutimi Sagueneens - Mathieu Samson
The Sagueneens make the first surprise pick of the draft, taking a bit of a reach at 6’3” Samson. He has some serious potential and with the Sagueneens already having a solid blueline (potential wise), Samson could learn the ropes from a fellow big guy in Nicolas Roy, who IMO has to be a top three player in the league next season.

11. Saint John Sea Dogs - Shane Bowers
The Sea Dogs take a chance on a kid who could immediately help them in Bowers, and it could pay off in a big way. Bowers may be the best player available, and the Sea Dogs can afford to take a flyer on him.

12. Drummondville Voltigeurs - Xavier Bouchard
Although I already have them taking McIsaac, he and Bouchard could one day form a crazy good D tandem for the Voltigeurs one day. This is BPA, and would be a smart move for the Voltigeurs, as Bouchard is much better than any available forward.

13. Cape Breton Screaming Eagles - Shawn Element
Element is a grinder, but has the potential to be more than that, and it seems the majority of returning Eagles’ forwards have and play with grit, so Element could have some good mentors. One of my favourite prospects.

14. Baie-Comeau Drakkar - Xavier Bernard
After already adding the speedy Gabriel Fortier, the Drakkar could opt for a defender to compliment their future of Aucoin and Pietroniro on the backend. Bernard would fit in well.

15. Baie-Comeau Drakkar - Samuel Houde
Houde, another small, fast offensive player would give the Drakkar three very good future league players to build around. He and Fortier could one day be the centrepieces of a crazy offense.

16. Halifax Mooseheads - Alexis Gravel
The Mooseheads gladly take the best goalie available, after Gravel told teams he was going the USA route, but rumours suggest he told the Moose and Armada he would report. Goalie of the future would join a team on the rise.

17. Victoriaville Tigres - Cedric Desruisseaux
The Tigres opt for the best offensive option available, and Desruisseaux really looks like just that. He joins an already impressive Tigres forward group that can take their time developing him.

18. Charlottetown - Olivier Crete-Belzile
A need for league ready defensemen is definitely a thing on the island, and Crete-Belzile can fulfill that need. Underrated, Crete-Belzile would fit in well with the Islanders who right now only have three legitimate QMJHL d-men on their roster (Deschenes, Thompson, Joseph, sorry Smith..).

19. Rouyn-Noranda - Olivier Mathieu
With some offensive players graduating, and the Huskies looking to be competitive again, Mathieu is the right pick. He and Desruisseaux are close, but Mathieu’s skating is holding him back a tad. Nonetheless, he’s a great player that would get an opportunity in Rouyn.

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
Thanks for putting together a mock draft of the first round. I like it, was a good read. It bothers me when people cut up the work of other people without offering to do the same work, having said that :) here are a couple of points.
I have trouble seeing McIssac falling to third. I hear what you are saying about the Q being an offensive league but this is a kid who can be a top pairing defenseman for his 17-18-19 and possibly 20 year old season. Although it is an offensive league most GM feel that defense wins championships. I love Laferriere so high cause I think he will be a good one. Also like Element being high as I think he brings a lot to a team but his injury may scare teams off. Bucheler seems to be leaning towards the US and this will scare teams and for sure scare Cape Breton as they will have trouble explaining to their fan base why another first rounder will not report. Also agree that the SeaDogs will take Bowers. Good mock draft, thanks again.

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
Thanks for putting together a mock draft of the first round. I like it, was a good read. It bothers me when people cut up the work of other people without offering to do the same work, having said that :) here are a couple of points.
I have trouble seeing McIssac falling to third. I hear what you are saying about the Q being an offensive league but this is a kid who can be a top pairing defenseman for his 17-18-19 and possibly 20 year old season. Although it is an offensive league most GM feel that defense wins championships. I love Laferriere so high cause I think he will be a good one. Also like Element being high as I think he brings a lot to a team but his injury may scare teams off. Bucheler seems to be leaning towards the US and this will scare teams and for sure scare Cape Breton as they will have trouble explaining to their fan base why another first rounder will not report. Also agree that the SeaDogs will take Bowers. Good mock draft, thanks again.
Thanks a lot, as for McIsaac just can't see the Moose not taking Groulx, and can't see him reporting.. also did not hear of the Bucheler news so that would definitely change things

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
The Screaming Eagles are going to see a number of defensemen leave their roster, and Bucheler is the most Q ready D available. He has good size, can skate, and seems like a Dumont type of player.
Don't forget Sacha Roy and Alexis Sansfaçon are expected to make the team next year. The Eagles also have two Euro spots open. Léveillé/LeBlanc, Bisson and Baillargeon are all locks on the blueline. They're might not be a spot for Jérémie Bucheler next season.

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
Don't forget Sacha Roy and Alexis Sansfaçon are expected to make the team next year. The Eagles also have two Euro spots open. Léveillé/LeBlanc, Bisson and Baillargeon are all locks on the blueline. They're might not be a spot for Jérémie Bucheler next season.
Lets not kid ourselves.. Bucheler is the best Quebec 2000 born dman who would absolutely find a spot on the Eagles blueline.

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Lets not kid ourselves.. Bucheler is the best Quebec 2000 born dman who would absolutely find a spot on the Eagles blueline.
So three - maybe four - rookies on the Eagles' backend with Léveillé and Bisson as the "veterans"? I doubt it.

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
So three - maybe four - rookies on the Eagles' backend with Léveillé and Bisson as the "veterans"? I doubt it.

Bucheler would play ahead of both Roy and Sansfaçon.. Baillargeon, Greene also have experience. Eagles are not in win now mode and Bucheler will likely be a top pairing guy one day. Rebuilds are apart of junior hockey cycle.
Bisson-Léveillé
Baillargeon-Bucheler
Sansfaçon/Roy-Greene

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
Bucheler would play ahead of both Roy and Sansfaçon.. Baillargeon, Greene also have experience. Eagles are not in win now mode and Bucheler will likely be a top pairing guy one day. Rebuilds are apart of junior hockey cycle.
Bisson-Léveillé
Baillargeon-Bucheler
Sansfaçon/Roy-Greene
I'm assuming you're more familiar with Bucheler than I am. But, I'd be pleasantly surprised if he leap-frogged Roy and Sansfaçon.

EURO* - Léveillé
Bisson - Baillargeon
Roy* - Sansfaçon*

Greene will likely split time on D and up the ice like he did in Lewisporte.

CrazyPucker27

Jun 25, 2012
Charlottetown
I'm assuming you're more familiar with Bucheler than I am. But, I'd be pleasantly surprised if he leap-frogged Roy and Sansfaçon.

EURO* - Léveillé
Bisson - Baillargeon
Roy* - Sansfaçon*

He is definitely a very highly coveted dman in this year's draft.. but as said likely going US route so. Could see Eagles taking two euro forwards to replace some of Joly's scoring too.. anyways should be a very exciting weekend! I'll be attending the draft

saintflannel

Oct 6, 2011
He is definitely a very highly coveted dman in this year's draft.. but as said likely going US route so. Could see Eagles taking two euro forwards to replace some of Joly's scoring too.. anyways should be a very exciting weekend! I'll be attending the draft

Enjoy. It'll be an interesting draft.

shakenbake7

Apr 7, 2009

EURO* - Léveillé
Bisson - Baillargeon
Roy* - Sansfaçon*

Based on multiple viewings, Bucheler is WAY ahead of both Sansfacon and Roy.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
My mock draft

This is a no brainer IMO. Building a good forward core is what makes teams successful at this level, and good defensemen are often found later in the first and the second, where the Moose have lots of picks. Groulx will fit in nicely with Somppi, Durandeau, Fortier, and Hischier if he indeed is going to be picked by the Herd in the import draft.

Fortier is the second highest top forward available, and quite possibly the best skater in the draft. He will rejuvenate an extremely mediocre Drakkar offense, and will be given every opportunity to shine and be a star. McIsaac could be looked at but doubtful he would report.

In my opinion, Ducharme should have no trouble getting McIsaac to report, and I see it as a great fit. With a solid group of OAs, McIsaac could step right onto the Volts and contribute to what looks like may be a half decent team. He is the complete package when it comes to D in the draft and it would immensely surprise me if Ducharme let him slip.

The Phoenix will be in need of some forward help next season, and Coxhead will fit in nicely. The powerforward is rumoured to be looking at the NCAA route, but I don’t think it’d surprise anyone if he were to report to the Phoenix, who already have former NS born first round picks Fitzpatrick and Sartoris on board.

The Titan could add to an already deep forward core. MacDonald is a New Brunswick boy, and if his skating improves, could be a bigtime pro prospect. With Morand, Kuznetsov, Maher, and now potentially MacDonald, the Titan’s forward group would be set for years to come.

To nobody’s surprise, the Armada take their goalie of the future with Montembeault graduating. Rodrigue will step into a competitive environment and should fit in nicely with a good defensive system in place.

The Mooseheads continue to add to an already impressive group of forward prospects. Laferriere improved a great deal as the year went on and will continue to with the Mooseheads core under Bear Tourigny.

With a long and strong connection to Island players, the Wildcats make no mistake in taking Dobson, who IMO is the top defender of the draft. He will be a #1 in this league, and is exactly what the Cats need, with Rodrigue now off the board.

The Sagueneens make the first surprise pick of the draft, taking a bit of a reach at 6’3†Samson. He has some serious potential and with the Sagueneens already having a solid blueline (potential wise), Samson could learn the ropes from a fellow big guy in Nicolas Roy, who IMO has to be a top three player in the league next season.

The Sea Dogs take a chance on a kid who could immediately help them in Bowers, and it could pay off in a big way. Bowers may be the best player available, and the Sea Dogs can afford to take a flyer on him.

Although I already have them taking McIsaac, he and Bouchard could one day form a crazy good D tandem for the Voltigeurs one day. This is BPA, and would be a smart move for the Voltigeurs, as Bouchard is much better than any available forward.

Element is a grinder, but has the potential to be more than that, and it seems the majority of returning Eagles’ forwards have and play with grit, so Element could have some good mentors. One of my favourite prospects.

After already adding the speedy Gabriel Fortier, the Drakkar could opt for a defender to compliment their future of Aucoin and Pietroniro on the backend. Bernard would fit in well.

Houde, another small, fast offensive player would give the Drakkar three very good future league players to build around. He and Fortier could one day be the centrepieces of a crazy offense.

The Mooseheads gladly take the best goalie available, after Gravel told teams he was going the USA route, but rumours suggest he told the Moose and Armada he would report. Goalie of the future would join a team on the rise.

The Tigres opt for the best offensive option available, and Desruisseaux really looks like just that. He joins an already impressive Tigres forward group that can take their time developing him.

A need for league ready defensemen is definitely a thing on the island, and Crete-Belzile can fulfill that need. Underrated, Crete-Belzile would fit in well with the Islanders who right now only have three legitimate QMJHL d-men on their roster (Deschenes, Thompson, Joseph, sorry Smith..).

With some offensive players graduating, and the Huskies looking to be competitive again, Mathieu is the right pick. He and Desruisseaux are close, but Mathieu’s skating is holding him back a tad. Nonetheless, he’s a great player that would get an opportunity in Rouyn.
Nice mock. I'd be quite happy if the Moose got those 3 in first.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
My mock draft

The Sagueneens make the first surprise pick of the draft, taking a bit of a reach at 6’3†Samson. He has some serious potential and with the Sagueneens already having a solid blueline (potential wise), Samson could learn the ropes from a fellow big guy in Nicolas Roy, who IMO has to be a top three player in the league next season.

With Sprong, Blais, Coughler all but guaranteed not to be back, i would hope we grab a forward in the first. The need for offense is/will definitely be bigger then the need for defense

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
My mock draft

The Sagueneens make the first surprise pick of the draft, taking a bit of a reach at 6’3” Samson. He has some serious potential and with the Sagueneens already having a solid blueline (potential wise), Samson could learn the ropes from a fellow big guy in Nicolas Roy, who IMO has to be a top three player in the league next season.

when all is said and done i think the Mooseheads end with both Groulx and Mcisaac...they are setting things with McIsaac, i know he has told a few teams he is exploring USA route as well.....i know the Mooseheads too have been in big talks with the Bowers family......last year shane bowers was ready to play QMJHL for halifax or saint john, so i see no difference with this year of one of those two teams take him. I would look for any one of those two teams to pull some funny things off at the draft.............I really think the Rodrigue goalie wants to play for Chicoutimi so you might see them do a few things to try to get him in the draft, his father played for them and was goalie coach for them (his father is now goalie coach for edmonton oilers) and he has a chicoutimi logo already on his mask lol.

Good mock draft IMO, the only things i see if all picks stayed the same is I see Halifax taking Bowers instead of Laferrier.

I see Halifax getting the 2nd overall pick as Mooseheads want McIsaac and Baie Comeau wants Capenellie to commit to their team next year and the mooseheads have Durandeau who is his past line mate and good friend so i could see some offering going on there.........

Im curious as to what is going to happen to a guy like TJ Walsh in the USA, very good player reminds me of Connor Garland but Walsh maybe be a slight bigger, he is not on the NTDP team for next year so will teams like Halifax, Quebec, Moncton, Saint John be targeting a guy like that right now. I also really like John Murray from the USA who plays for Nobel Greenough HS who is 6'02/200 pounds, he uses his size, has good hockey sense and a big shot from the point and i think there is a chance he would come up.

Also wondering if Xavier Bouchard will be a guy Rouyn Noranda tries to get his father is the GM and coach of the team, but I do not think nor do i think they would think too it would be a good idea to have a father and son on the same team in that position.

Last edited:

wein

Jul 2, 2013
when all is said and done i think the Mooseheads end with both Groulx and Mcisaac...they are setting things with McIsaac, i know he has told a few teams he is exploring USA route as well.....i know the Mooseheads too have been in big talks with the Bowers family......last year shane bowers was ready to play QMJHL for halifax or saint john, so i see no difference with this year of one of those two teams take him. I would look for any one of those two teams to pull some funny things off at the draft.............I really think the Rodrigue goalie wants to play for Chicoutimi so you might see them do a few things to try to get him in the draft, his father played for them and was goalie coach for them (his father is now goalie coach for edmonton oilers) and he has a chicoutimi logo already on his mask lol.

Good mock draft IMO, the only things i see if all picks stayed the same is I see Halifax taking Bowers instead of Laferrier.

I see Halifax getting the 2nd overall pick as Mooseheads want McIsaac and Baie Comeau wants Capenellie to commit to their team next year and the mooseheads have Durandeau who is his past line mate and good friend so i could see some offering going on there.........

Im curious as to what is going to happen to a guy like TJ Walsh in the USA, very good player reminds me of Connor Garland but Walsh maybe be a slight bigger, he is not on the NTDP team for next year so will teams like Halifax, Quebec, Moncton, Saint John be targeting a guy like that right now. I also really like John Murray from the USA who plays for Nobel Greenough HS who is 6'02/200 pounds, he uses his size, has good hockey sense and a big shot from the point and i think there is a chance he would come up.

Also wondering if Xavier Bouchard will be a guy Rouyn Noranda tries to get his father is the GM and coach of the team, but I do not think nor do i think they would think too it would be a good idea to have a father and son on the same team in that position.

I wonder if this year will have all the big names Americans fall to the mid rounds. All of three of the Ws seem to have chosen a place to play next year, Walsh was tendered by a USHL team. It will be interesting to see which American player goes first and which team risks a pick on one of the top 3 guys the earliest.

I'm not sure Moncton will draft one early, they don't have any picks in the second or third and seemed to have moved away from ththe huge amount of Americans picks last year with only 2. They still chose a lot of NCAA guys but they mostly happened to be Canadians last year. Their choices haven't really paid off recently so maybe that's a reason they have backed off a bit.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
would be surprised to see even one of the top US players make their way to chl
most all of them atleast fir the next year or two are playing u17/18
for us ndtp
this would be much better for their short term development and ice time

wein

Jul 2, 2013
would be surprised to see even one of the top US players make their way to chl
most all of them atleast fir the next year or two are playing u17/18
for us ndtp
this would be much better for their short term development and ice time

I don't agree with it being better ice time. For some it likely is but for the kids not in the top 6 or top 4 it isn't. It's one of the reasons a guy like Yan left. I'm sure many of them could get at least equal ice time on some of the USHL teams.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
i agree on the ushl
i was referring to the Q specifically
very hard for a first yr 16 yr old to get minutes on top line and pp

as for the ushl , i am wondering if its really a place for 16 yr olds
( home way/ schooling/billet) ...different from chl imo

wein

Jul 2, 2013
i agree on the ushl
i was referring to the Q specifically
very hard for a first yr 16 yr old to get minutes on top line and pp

as for the ushl , i am wondering if its really a place for 16 yr olds
( home way/ schooling/billet) ...different from chl imo

Yeah, I think there are only a few every year that play as 16 year olds. I think if you remove the USNDTP from the count, I agree that the USHL likely has very few 16 year olds. A lot seem to play High School until they are 18 anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad