2016 QMJHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Lucas Fitzpatrick, brother of Evan should go 2nd/3rd. Great year for Cole Harbour last year. Moose could take him if Gravel doesn't slide to them. They may even draft 2 goalies.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
I think the least surprising thing is Moncton trading out of the first round. They haven't made a pick in round 1 for the last 4 or 5 years.

Expect them to take Walsh, Wahlstrom or Wise with one of their picks even though they will never report.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
I think the least surprising thing is Moncton trading out of the first round. They haven't made a pick in round 1 for the last 4 or 5 years.

Expect them to take Walsh, Wahlstrom or Wise with one of their picks even though they will never report.
Walhstrom was picked by Cape Breton, and there was rumblings he may report to some teams.

Ok Halifax is actually stacked for the future.... Like wow.

Saint John with a good pick in Bowers..

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
many US players drafted. some U.S. schools/teams had more players drafted than some midget AAA teams in Quebec
on players that will never play in Canada
makes you ask questions

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Walhstrom was picked by Cape Breton, and there was rumblings he may report to some teams.

Ok Halifax is actually stacked for the future.... Like wow.

Saint John with a good pick in Bowers..

Apparently Bowers is staying in the USHL for now. Personally think itll change but we'll see.

I was surprised that Coxhead and Bucheler both went in the first. Neither are expected to go the Q route.. i think Coxhead is more likely to report then Bucheler myslef.

Really fun and exciting day though thats for sure

AllInTheGame

Feb 24, 2015
BLB should be thrilled, Bucheler and Laferriere are great picks who will excel there.

The Mooseheads are building a nasty team though. Wish they had of taken Fortier.

We got havlena too. He was solid for the lions in the playoffs. I enjoyed watching him play. Are you suggesting bucheler would report to Q?

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
many US players drafted. some U.S. schools/teams had more players drafted than some midget AAA teams in Quebec
on players that will never play in Canada
makes you ask questions

Predateurs had the best defense corp in the league but only their 6th defenseman got picked.

Really strange.

Also, alot of the drafted are pretty light. What happened to all the big boys?

Last edited:

Lionshockey

Apr 15, 2014
LOL!!!! Tigers had a much stronger D...
Also, the player drafted was probably the "smartest" D on the team, and he was the only one called up to AAA last year...
What do you say of their 4th scorer as the only draft pick?

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
LOL!!!! Tigers had a much stronger D...
Also, the player drafted was probably the "smartest" D on the team, and he was the only one called up to AAA last year...
What do you say of their 4th scorer as the only draft pick?

No where near having a better D core. No one including the kid that got drafted know how to move the puck. They can carry it ala Bobby Orr but can't move the puck if their life depended on it. -- Just my opinion.

Kid in question was -3 on his first shift, and never saw the ice again. If he does stay on and make the team for next season, I think he will get the Feldman treatment unless he vastly improves on gap, pivoting, and speed.

For the 4th scorer, it's no secret. Eric played for Gatineau and these 2 players got drafted by Gatineau in the late rounds. It's obvious what happened here but the real question is, why dis any of the top 3 D man and top 3 scorers be left out. Parents are not happy and some are starting to think that there is a conflict of interest as Eric is now a player agent with the Octagon and these 2 are his clients. I wouldnt be surprised if this hurts the Preds registration for Espoir.

Last edited:

scoutsrus13

Jun 6, 2016
We got havlena too. He was solid for the lions in the playoffs. I enjoyed watching him play. Are you suggesting bucheler would report to Q?

Havlena very nice kid , as a player did you truly take a look at him during the year , because he hardly played, 2nd. At the Telus cup , the teams that LSL Lions played against especially in the 1st round some of them did not even finish 1st in there division. He is very cumbersome as a player , he is slow and in a fast game he is lost. Not fan so all in the game glad that you are happy . Bouchler did not even attend the draft , shows how much respect he had for the QMJL, he is a tall player, again , this kid looks great with weaker teams, he needs to skate better and is very weak in the corners and in front of the net, I hate to say this however the player has a fear of being hit , in addition to not being a good skater. The only reason that they were in the playoffs were due to 2 players there captain, and there goalie Sylvestor who saved there hide. Otherwise they would of never made the Telus Cup. Half the players that were drafted from this organization were not even considered before this event otherwise they were not even considered , so lets call a spade a spade thank god Armada is behind there back yard , they go home after the 1st 48 hrs.

scoutsrus13

Jun 6, 2016
No where near having a better D core. No one including the kid that got drafted know how to move the puck. They can carry it ala Bobby Orr but can't move the puck if their life depended on it. -- Just my opinion.

Kid in question was -3 on his first shift, and never saw the ice again. If he does stay on and make the team for next season, I think he will get the Feldman treatment unless he vastly improves on gap, pivoting, and speed.

For the 4th scorer, it's no secret. Eric played for Gatineau and these 2 players got drafted by Gatineau in the late rounds. It's obvious what happened here but the real question is, why dis any of the top 3 D man and top 3 scorers be left out. Parents are not happy and some are starting to think that there is a conflict of interest as Eric is now a player agent with the Octagon and these 2 are his clients. I wouldnt be surprised if this hurts the Preds registration for Espoir.

Wow Lions Hockey are you kidding me say that the Tigers had better D, what D did the Tigers have no offence but they had 2nd years players who should be ashamed of themselves because they did ZERO , they should of not wasted there parents money . They would be better off playing in MAA and for the record what kind of Kool Aid are you drinking , Holly smokes, the notes above warrant a discussion and a head scratching about Lacombe, however lets go further why draft US players when they are not even go to show up, the players drafted overall weight around 160 PDS and less , is this the QMJL or are talking about the league that was.

If you look at what was drafted except for a few acceptations , the rest were favours and agents / family advisors and certain organizations pulling favours that's it , Quick question they were about 1000 people in attendance at the draft . Tells me a lot about what everyone thought

scoutsrus13

Jun 6, 2016
When I spoke to the dad awhile back its was going to be the sons choice and they weren't pro anything.

His father like any other father will go with the flow, however the draft has given them as a family the ability to negotiate going into US Prep

Everyone needs to wake up and look and be real

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
...... Holly smokes, the notes above warrant a discussion and a head scratching about Lacombe,........

Yeah apparently it's true. Pictures of Eric are surfacing with his clients while they were at PEI.

This makes him have a major conflict of interest since he is the coach and was promoting his clients which happen to be from another school, not even from John Rennie.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Talk around school is that a few kids will not be returning back to the Rennie program becuase of all this.

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
Yeah apparently it's true. Pictures of Eric are surfacing with his clients while they were at PEI.

This makes him have a major conflict of interest since he is the coach and was promoting his clients which happen to be from another school, not even from John Rennie.

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

Talk around school is that a few kids will not be returning back to the Rennie program becuase of all this.

Why would a midget espoir coach who may or may not be working with an agency have any impact and why a kid may or may not get drafted?

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
Wow Lions Hockey are you kidding me say that the Tigers had better D, what D did the Tigers have no offence but they had 2nd years players who should be ashamed of themselves because they did ZERO , they should of not wasted there parents money . They would be better off playing in MAA and for the record what kind of Kool Aid are you drinking , Holly smokes, the notes above warrant a discussion and a head scratching about Lacombe, however lets go further why draft US players when they are not even go to show up, the players drafted overall weight around 160 PDS and less , is this the QMJL or are talking about the league that was.

If you look at what was drafted except for a few acceptations , the rest were favours and agents / family advisors and certain organizations pulling favours that's it , Quick question they were about 1000 people in attendance at the draft . Tells me a lot about what everyone thought

Just so I am clear, So with a few exceptions all of the players drafted were done as a favour to an agent or an organization?:)

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
Why would a midget espoir coach who may or may not be working with an agency have any impact and why a kid may or may not get drafted?

One client is the 4th leading scorer on the team and the other client is the 6th dman.
They both got drafted by his old team - Gatineau. Both clients do not even go to Rennie.

Both clients were the first wave of key situations while the top 3 forwards and the other Dmen sat out.

When Q teams ask his opinion on one of his players that ARE NOT his client, he can give a bad review and then push his client onto that scout.

He can showcase his clients every game.

He can put his clients against the weak kids of the other team to make them look good.

There are many reasons.

At the end of the day, no one will care what is said. It's all about the perception that current and potential clients are getting and apparently it is not good. You cannot promote kids ONLY from another school and not from the school you are working for, it just doesn't look good.

Last edited:

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
One client is the 4th leading scorer on the team and the other client is the 6th dman.
They both got drafted by his old team - Gatineau. Both clients do not even go to Rennie.

Both clients were the first wave of key situations while the top 3 forwards and the other Dmen sat out.

When Q teams ask his opinion on one of his players that ARE NOT his client, he can give a bad review and then push his client onto that scout.

He can showcase his clients every game.

He can put his clients against the weak kids of the other team to make them look good.

There are many reasons.

At the end of the day, no one will care what is said. It's all about the perception that current and potential clients are getting and apparently it is not good. You cannot promote kids ONLY from another school, it just doesn't look good.

You are giving scouts very little credit and putting way too much emphasis on an impact that a coach can have to who a junior team will draft. Does not work that way. Also having dealt with Eric over the last few years I know that he would and has done as much as possible to promote his own players as well as give an honest assesement of players from other teams if asked. I do think that the players who were drafted or in one case signed as a free agent from his team this year were the correct ones. i do not think there was anyone missed from his team.

sharknado

Aug 22, 2014
You are giving scouts very little credit and putting way too much emphasis on an impact that a coach can have to who a junior team will draft. Does not work that way. Also having dealt with Eric over the last few years I know that he would and has done as much as possible to promote his own players as well as give an honest assesement of players from other teams if asked. I do think that the players who were drafted or in one case signed as a free agent from his team this year were the correct ones. i do not think there was anyone missed from his team.

A coach can have an impact because his opinion matters, or else no one would ask the coach for their opinion.

Also, lets be honest here. Some kids are drafted as a favour to someone. In this case, the perception is the favour to Eric by his former team. Both kids were chosen extremely late so a favour is probable.

As I said, it doesn't matter what you, I, or anyone else says. Perception among the Espoir parents about Eric is they see a coach getting his 2 clients that go to another school drafted and did nothing to help the kids that go to his school. That is what they see and don't care about reasoning. Some are leaving the program.

.....Also having dealt with Eric over the last few years I know that he would and has done as much as possible to promote his own players as well as give an honest assesement of players from other teams if asked. .....

That was before he became a player agent :) He now has an agenda to do the best that he can for his clients at the expense of the rest of the team.

Last edited:

scoutsrus13

Jun 6, 2016
Just so I am clear, So with a few exceptions all of the players drafted were done as a favour to an agent or an organization?:)

Mon ami , it is very clear through the other posts where they have arrived at the positive conclusion that favorites are part of the game, its a business , this is 1st and its personal. If a Hockey Advisor / agent ahs a special relationship with a organization then things like this happen. If you cannot see this and everyone else does , there is nothing else to say to you , but it is your opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad