2016 QMJHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllInTheGame

Feb 24, 2015
Can anyone see Shane Mcgrath for the Lac St-Louis Lions being selected in this year's Q draft?

He has been a pillar on the defense during the stretch and post season. Plus he delivered some offense so I say yes.

As far as defensive abilities and overall performance goes, I think he was LSL's best defender.

He won almost all of his one on one battles on the boards. Was nearly unbeatable in transition/could rarely be beat for speed. He contained his player into low percentage positions or regained possession shortly after he was out-skated. In short, he recovered when he faulted. He marked out his opposition to a tee, he made incredible reads. Checks hard (hip checks are devastating) yet it doesn't put him out of the play anymore. Reacted well when it came time to make split second decisions: offensively and defensively. Controlled his gaps, logged tons of minutes, delivered consistent, aggressive and assertive performances while maintaining his discipline. He rarely lost out in front of his net when he was called upon to defend that area because really he did a tremendous job boxing guys out before they could even gain that position against him on the ice. His general positioning is good.

He can pass well, is strong as an ox, is incredibly stable on his skates, turns well, doesn't hesitate to make plays and he is ultra-competitive. He is strong on his stick, he poke checks well and can dig pucks out tremendously. He can see the ice well. He exploits time and space well enough to walk it out when required, break out with a pass, lob or chip etc etc etc. He can brush up his offensive abilities but he isn’t bad by any means. His shot accuracy and selection can be improved and will become better if this season was an indicator. Velocity of his shot plus his creative game should progress although he is solid.

Hands are good for receiving passes. He is good at winning plus protecting the puck in tight spots etc. The creative aspect of his game isn’t bad for a d but nothing exceptional in terms of one on one dekes. Hand Eye coordination is decent when it comes to knocking down pucks in the air. He can still protect the puck well though with body position and good timing/decision making to compensate for average deking skills.Really that is nitpicking. Willing and able to block shots. A fierce competitor and leads by example.

I think he can improve his skating technique in aesthetic terms, that is for the pickiest of observers and doubters. He looks awkward when he skates because his legs wobble considerably, yet it doesn't impede his effectiveness, speed, balance, leg strength or mobility. He has the foot-speed to keep up with many of the quicker players he was matched up against and he played against some of the best players in Quebec during this championship run. He logged tons of minutes in all situations and did well to maintain good performance levels.

I attended about 6 or seven season games, spread out over the schedule. With the home playoff games I saw about 15 games this season. It is a limited sample to compare him to every other defender in AAA and I am by no means an expert. But when it mattered most and when I saw him play he was good. He had a huge and positive impact on the club’s championship victory. The Lions faced stiff opposition and he was a key player.

I watched quite a few Q games live as well so I have a feel for the pace of the game. I think he can keep up and deliver the goods. Next year he could play a few games. 10 to 16. I would let him play more minutes in AAA though.

All in all, I think he can be a good shut down defender in the Q with some offensive upside. 24- 30 points over a full year in the Q isn't a stretch as far as I'm concerned. What you think? I am overrating the guy or you see something there as well?

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
Can anyone see Shane Mcgrath for the Lac St-Louis Lions being selected in this year's Q draft?

He has been a pillar on the defense during the stretch and post season. Plus he delivered some offense so I say yes.

As far as defensive abilities and overall performance goes, I think he was LSL's best defender.

He won almost all of his one on one battles on the boards. Was nearly unbeatable in transition/could rarely be beat for speed. He contained his player into low percentage positions or regained possession shortly after he was out-skated. In short, he recovered when he faulted. He marked out his opposition to a tee, he made incredible reads. Checks hard (hip checks are devastating) yet it doesn't put him out of the play anymore. Reacted well when it came time to make split second decisions: offensively and defensively. Controlled his gaps, logged tons of minutes, delivered consistent, aggressive and assertive performances while maintaining his discipline. He rarely lost out in front of his net when he was called upon to defend that area because really he did a tremendous job boxing guys out before they could even gain that position against him on the ice. His general positioning is good.

He can pass well, is strong as an ox, is incredibly stable on his skates, turns well, doesn't hesitate to make plays and he is ultra-competitive. He is strong on his stick, he poke checks well and can dig pucks out tremendously. He can see the ice well. He exploits time and space well enough to walk it out when required, break out with a pass, lob or chip etc etc etc. He can brush up his offensive abilities but he isn’t bad by any means. His shot accuracy and selection can be improved and will become better if this season was an indicator. Velocity of his shot plus his creative game should progress although he is solid.

Hands are good for receiving passes. He is good at winning plus protecting the puck in tight spots etc. The creative aspect of his game isn’t bad for a d but nothing exceptional in terms of one on one dekes. Hand Eye coordination is decent when it comes to knocking down pucks in the air. He can still protect the puck well though with body position and good timing/decision making to compensate for average deking skills.Really that is nitpicking. Willing and able to block shots. A fierce competitor and leads by example.

I think he can improve his skating technique in aesthetic terms, that is for the pickiest of observers and doubters. He looks awkward when he skates because his legs wobble considerably, yet it doesn't impede his effectiveness, speed, balance, leg strength or mobility. He has the foot-speed to keep up with many of the quicker players he was matched up against and he played against some of the best players in Quebec during this championship run. He logged tons of minutes in all situations and did well to maintain good performance levels.

I attended about 6 or seven season games, spread out over the schedule. With the home playoff games I saw about 15 games this season. It is a limited sample to compare him to every other defender in AAA and I am by no means an expert. But when it mattered most and when I saw him play he was good. He had a huge and positive impact on the club’s championship victory. The Lions faced stiff opposition and he was a key player.

I watched quite a few Q games live as well so I have a feel for the pace of the game. I think he can keep up and deliver the goods. Next year he could play a few games. 10 to 16. I would let him play more minutes in AAA though.

All in all, I think he can be a good shut down defender in the Q with some offensive upside. 24- 30 points over a full year in the Q isn't a stretch as far as I'm concerned. What you think? I am overrating the guy or you see something there as well?
Good player and I think he gets drafted but I'm not sure he reports. His family is big on school, and there was doubt he was going to play midget AAA.

Doorways

Jun 10, 2015
Holly Molly

If anyone can write a review it has to be All in the Game, when we speak of pillars we speak of size lets keep this in mind, is he and was he stable yes and no , can he improve in his skating ability absolutely, he has no quick feet when it comes to pivoting ,he is one directional when it comes to skating , is he fast enough for me no.

Can he hit hard yes whenever he was near somebody otherwise he gets out beaten, does he have size average , does he react well, depending on the situation every defenseman will either make the split decision on time or not , its a 50 , 50 split and whom they are playing again depending on the speed of the game and whom they are playing , in games where the game was slow he did very well and he gathered points , whether you want to agree with this or not . With bigger bodies out there going up against him he suffered

Can he deliver offense depending on whom they were playing , I say this because with a fast team he was not there , he is slow has he improved yes they all have, he plays safe and tight , where in the Q its a really fast game with no mercy.

Listen dad we all know you love your son however do not worry just like several years before when they were in this position a lot of them got drafted and when they did go to the Q they really discovered the truth about there little boy.

Enjoy the ride , have a great time in NB and good luck to the team, and keep in mind, if anyone thinks that there kid is that good he should of been drafted in 1st year Midget however a lot d get drafter later on Most of all enjoy the game and who really cares because at the end of the day a lot of kids do not get drafted and do get invited and make the team , you ever wonder why.

Because they have the speed , they have size and the have the balls to do what is needed , it is LSL hockey and now depending on the teams that are out there , you may or may not get lucky and remember one important thing , how many players in every region across Canada have elected not to play Major and have left for prep across North America. I always ask myself why and from what I am witnessing they have no interest in MAAA they have a interest in balancing there school with hockey , besides prep is considered major Midget.

A lot more are leaving then before. I have seen over the past years that the talent pool is depleting because of this, so do not be fooled about what you see on the ice now it is what we all could of seen if these players stayed . Because LSL division has changed due to players electing to leave and go elsewhere , I mean all teams right across the board

Good luck to him and the Lions team for truly being a great Cinderella team and thank God that Sylvester was in nets , lets all agree on this important piece of the puzzle.

All in the Game everyone on that team needs to be proud of themselves whether they played 1 minute or 10 seconds a game or 20 minutes a game because at the end of the day Sylvester was truly your hero.
If the kid does Good luck to him , and now you have your ace that you can use for Prep
Sleep well and enjoy NB and lets face it its not a 1 men D team named McGrath that they are in this position ,I believe the team name is Lac St. Lions with another 19 players. Bouchler ( will go ) ,however did rack up points and will get drafted for sure, will he remain there who knows , because at the end of the day, its who you know, who is pushing you that really makes the difference.
Enjoy the tournament

He has been a pillar on the defense during the stretch and post season. Plus he delivered some offense so I say yes. As far as defensive abilities and overall performance goes, I think he was LSL's best defender.

Last edited:

AllInTheGame

Feb 24, 2015
is he fast enough for me no?"

Is Mathieu fast enough for you? He couldn't get past McGrath all that often from my recollection, neither did Meunier, Benoit, Couture, Demers or Breault or too many of Magog's other players. They did beat him sometimes, he recovered and he neutralized them in many of the situations I watched.

As far as being one directional, yeah, he pivots much better to his left side and is stronger defending that side of the ice. But then again most 16 year old players are polished gems by the time they get drafted right? He has to have the feet of a Ballerina to play in the Q? Like Noreau.The Pillar for Baie Comeau.

As far as being beat by bigger kids. I recall that happening when he was winded after playing a lot of shifts within short time periods.Who didn't get out-muscled at one point in the playoffs this year? I saw Pietroniro get muscled off of pucks by kids who had a lower center of gravity, who were weaker, smaller too. They knew how/when to use that size difference as an advantage and picked their spots to exploit his weaknesses. I also saw that guy run those very kids who beat him in close body to body matchups, fly ten feet further past the initial point of contact. You win some you loose some.

Kids improve their cardio and strength by leaps and bounds..See St-Surin? he couldn't do a period and a half without being gassed and out of energy not too long ago.This season in the playoffs, he delivered good performances against LSL and looked like he had tons more energy to spare near the end of the games. He played hard, emotionally charged and intense shifts against the lions this run. He found second winds time and time again, previously, not so much.

Sylvestre made big saves but don't forget a lot of the big ones were tossed right into his pads or right to his glove. BUT STILL A BIG SAVE IS A BIG SAVE. PILLARS of monumental proportions. He made them when they mattered most. The best saves that I saw him make were when he had to push hard to get across and some were nice blocker saves. In tight, last second/ reaction saves were great as well.

Again, I saw Mcgrath make more big defensive plays than I saw Sylvestre make big saves so that is why I thought he was MORE important DEFENSIVELY.

"in games where the game was slow he did very well and he gathered points , whether you want to agree with this or not . With bigger bodies out there going up against him he suffered..."

So only points count for the best defensive players? How many goals and assists did Sylvestre get? LOL. Again Mcgrath is only good against slow teams and isn't good against stronger bigger players? LMAO.How did you make those logical assessments.

Again, Meunier at a reported 180, 5'8 ft tall isn't small for a midget player and Mcgrath out-muscled him. I saw Mcgrath pin more than enough guys into submission against the boards then come out with the puck vs Bigger, smaller, faster or slower opposition.

What slow teams did he play in the post-season? Again he did alright, I think defensively he was outstanding, he was decent offensively. In transition he was solid.

"Listen dad we all know you love your son"

You sound like one of those magog fathers who couldn't hold his liquor and started swinging at people in the crowd. I am talking about a hockey player's performance and you are ranting about AAA and Quebec Hockey again. I scrolled over your posts and 50% are about bashing Quebec's elite hockey structures.

I thought I saw someone who did noticeably well, mentioned it and you are catching feelings.

Maybe you are one of the kids that got owned or exposed by Mcgrath. Anyway. I stated my opinion based on my observations. Magog's team looked pretty fast and they were a 5th placed team, so you can conclude that they are pretty good. He won most of the match-ups I saw in the finals.

"Good luck to him and the Lions team for truly being a great Cinderella team and thank God that Sylvester was in nets , lets all agree on this important piece of the puzzle."

What team wins championships without good goalies? Like I said, Sylvestre was good, I think Mcgrath was better and he isn't my son. I don't know him personally. In fact, I don't know anyone who played AAA, ever. Not from that millieu, but let me guess, only rich kids who played hockey for 15 years can comment on the game. I was a fan watching some games in my area and saw some amazing hockey. Mcgrath was one of the names I remember.

"Sylvester was truly your hero." Capanelli, Laferriere, Mcgrath, Fortier, Tinling and Bucheler..or Bouchelourde like you called him were all pretty useless right? All the guys I named were influential.Enough for me to remember how to spell their names. Really, only Sylvester the Cat was to be credited in your opinion.

oh and Pillar, as defined by M-W

Simple Definition of pillar

: a large post that helps to hold up something (such as a roof) can use that in a figurative manner to describe Mcgrath which seems to be what I was saying or

: someone who is an important member of a group

: a basic fact, idea, or principle of something

But you are going to tell me in what context I can use the word Pillar. It is all about a big player right? Oh...let's not forget, we have to mention Silverstar again because he was the only reason LSL won.

Sorry I hurt your feelings.I simply think Mcgrath was better than he was credited for. He was the best defender of the tournament in my honest and unbiased opinion. You can keep your emotions to yourself though. It's uncalled for. :handclap:

I was asking what people, who watched him play, think of his game. One last note, in my estimation, he reacted fast and well in over 70% of his plays in the neutral and defensive zone..that is better than 50/50.

Star12

Apr 16, 2016
Newfoundland players are subject to parent involvement. Runs HNL. Some very good players left off the roster

Well time to recap some atlantic players from the Ice Jam in draft order and you all pick them apart :popcorn:

Jared McIssac D - top skillset, but failed to carry his team. He was underwhelming in tournament play compared to some things I have seen in-season.

Anderson MacDonald F - still explosive and has game breaking potential. Wish he would take his team on his back instead of waiting. I wasnt happy with some body language cues. Be interesting to watch where he ends up next year and if its even in the Q. He should watch out since the next player on this list is very close if not ready to pass.

Andrew Coxhead F - Was a riser for me all season and really came to play. In a couple of games he was a difference maker and really showed a higher degree of depth and IQ that he has shown yet this year ie growth. Drew a LOT of interest from everyone. 200ft player and more.

Leon Denny D - Now before you all tell me he isnt smart enough to play Jr I have seen some great play out of him lately and its getting some notices. Think Luc Deschesne and you have a perfect picture, although he played both ends really well. A beast.

Devon Newhook D - really impressed me with his mobility and poise. A top puck-moving defender at the tourney and a riser for me.

Adam McCormick D - a smart, simple defender that I would have full confidence in.

Evan MacKinnon F - could be the smartest player at ice jam. Was quiet one game and pretty noticable the rest. Very efficient skater. Everyone knows how small he is but players his size were drafted and played at 16.

Frank Fortin F - good skater with great instincts, PP specialist. Wanted to see even more progression though.

Brandon Stone F - If he keeps playing this way I will have to upgrade him more. He is not the best skater but he has a knack for the net and is strong. Could be a great Junior.

Luke Henman F - Why not complete the kid line? Probably not the greatest tournament for him in terms of showcasing what he can do but he works so well with Coxhead and MacKinnon, he instantly reacts to changes in their strategy. Great IQ and skills.

Logan Cash F - Progressing a bit for me this year, but will have to push hard to make a run at the top 6 rounds. He has great size potential and has very good skating and puck control.

Chad Doiron F
Dominic Hachey D
Brennan Laverty F
Jared Baker D
Colten Ellis G
Dakota Lund-Cornish G
Lucas Fitzpatrick G
Jordan Yaremchuck G
Clark Webster D
Chris Murphy F
Evan Gallant F
Brent Broaders F
Drew Bennett F
Max Walford G
Jack Keough F

Overall, I feel its a similar draft class to last years from ATL. You have the obvious, and then there is a talent gap. Quebec players will likely dominate the upper rounds.

jahd

Jan 12, 2015

Ignore the trolls. HNL had to shutdown a couple of parents that were polluting twitter with garbage, and it seems they're spilling over to HFBoards now... this year's selections for U16 is probably the best group of 2000s HNL has sent to a regional competition. Results at the Gatorade Excellence Challenge so far seem to support that, and some of their big guns haven't even started clicking yet after their first 3 games.

Last edited:

Mr Celly

May 15, 2013
Halifax, NS
Ignore the trolls. HNL had to shutdown a couple of parents that were polluting twitter with garbage, and it seems they're spilling over to HFBoards now... this year's selections for U16 is probably the best group of 2000s HNL has sent to a regional competition. Results at the Gatorade Excellence Challenge so far seem to support that, and some of their big guns haven't even started clicking yet after their first 3 games.

They have now beat NS... NL is looking great.

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Pretty impressive for a dman to lead the tournament in points. Any other standouts?

Anderson MacDonald but he's one of the obvious ones.

Out of the not-so-obvious ones (maybe they are to others) I liked the one game I saw from Noah Dobson from PEI even though he went pointless, Matt McKim from Newfoundland, Jordan McKenna from NS, Olivier Bourret from Quebec Blue, and Cedric Desruisseaux from Quebec White.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
I say extremely hard to judge, teams and levels where on two planets
cant judge when 1/2 teams lose by more than 5-6 goals
The Q better rethink the formula

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I say extremely hard to judge, teams and levels where on two planets
cant judge when 1/2 teams lose by more than 5-6 goals
The Q better rethink the formula

It's tough when the depth of each province differs so greatly. There isn't a whole lot more they can do and the scouts want to see all the players at the same time. Enough players were able to stand out even with the discrepancy in depth though, I found.

jabes

Jul 3, 2013
Halifax, NS
Fans apparently thinking otherwise. This poll from Mooseheads website. Who knows what type of pollers were involved though.

What position will be drafted 1st overall by the Mooseheads?

Forward
65.70%
Defenceman
21.84%
Goaltender
12.46%

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
Yea I don't think we'll know for sure until draft day.

Also, I'm guessing the majority of people involved in that poll don't even know who the top 3 guys in the draft are, it was an open poll :P

TellNoMore

Oct 25, 2013
Heard that Goyens is excited at this year's additions on D; namely some whiz kid from a francoHS.

Lionshockey

Apr 15, 2014
Only 3 kids from LHPS at tech camp, 2 forwards and 1 D. Unless there is a new prospect coming from in, there were no whiz kids present... The little d was weakest kid on the ice in all games...

TellNoMore

Oct 25, 2013
Have missed all the action; back in city in July; wonder if it's the same kid; to hear his dad, thinks he'll make it as last D; either wrong kid or disillusioned father

Only 3 kids from LHPS at tech camp, 2 forwards and 1 D. Unless there is a new prospect coming from in, there were no whiz kids present... The little d was weakest kid on the ice in all games...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad