2016 NHL Entry Draft, part two

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Trust me, Matthews and Laine would be out of this world but I'd EASILY lose my **** if we got the 3rd pick and got Pulji. Any one of those guys would change our team completely.

I agree, if we don't, I think we definitely have a high chance of trading the pick for ready talent.

18Hossa

And Grace, Too
Oct 12, 2012
If anything it looks like keller, jost and brown won't be available at 12.

Matthews
Laine
Puijilarvi
Nylander
Chychrun
Dubois
Juolevi
Gauthier
Bean
Keller
Sergachyov
Jost
Fabbro
Brown
Mcleod
Anyone from ~8-15 is pretty interchangeable depending on a team's preferences. We will end up with someone good, likely one of Keller, Jost, Brown, or Mcleod

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
Assuming we don't win one of the lotteries, what would it cost us to move up to a top 3 position?

12th + Hoffman + 2nd?

My value could be way off here...I've never been good at these hypothetical proposals.

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
If we're talking to a team like Edmonton, I'm certain that Ceci would have to be part of any deal to move up.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Im definitely leaning towards trading the pick. I dont think Sens management will like Keller for his lack of a complete game. And don't see Jost/Brown/Bean or anyone on that level really helping us anytime in the next few years.
So unless Nylander/Juolevi someone of that caliber falls id definitely look into trading it

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Im definitely leaning towards trading the pick. I dont think Sens management will like Keller for his lack of a complete game. And don't see Jost/Brown/Bean or anyone on that level really helping us anytime in the next few years.
So unless Nylander/Juolevi someone of that caliber falls id definitely look into trading it

Curious. What is not complete about Keller's game in your eyes? Everything I've read and seen praise him for being aggressive, a great PKer, takes big defensive zone draws etc. along with his dynamic offensive skill set.

Is this like how Erik Karlsson allegedly sucks at defending because he puts up big offensive numbers? Just an assumptions based on production?

SixthSens

RIP Fugu
Dec 5, 2007
Yeah, I've heard the exact opposite about Keller too... first guy over the boards to PK, etc.

I think he's a perfect fit here.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
As much as McLeod is the player I'd prefer not to draft his tools are incredible. He's big, the fastest skater in the draft, doesn't take shifts off, and actually has top 6 calibre hands and vision.

Might become a Kesler or might become a Paajarvi.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
I think Keller will be available at 12, and I think we'll pass on him, and I think I'll be very disappointed.

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
As a former head of scouting I can't see Dorion trading his 1st round pick unless it's part of a package to move up

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
Interesting fact - according to hockey DB, the Sens have NEVER taken a player under 6'0 in the first round.

Canadian Guru

Aug 17, 2013
I see Keller with his ceiling being a Claude giroux and his floor being Pageau. He has much better hands, vision, passing ability than pageau with the same hustle, PK ability.

If we could get one of Jost, Keller, Brown, I would be quite happy. All of them had great U18 tournaments.

McLeod is a big red flag in my opinion. Yes he has speed and hustle, but lacks finish and possession skills.

Canadian Guru

Aug 17, 2013
Take it with a grain of salt that the scouts heavily scouted Colin white last year on the u18 team - whose line mate at times was Keller.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
As much as McLeod is the player I'd prefer not to draft his tools are incredible. He's big, the fastest skater in the draft, doesn't take shifts off, and actually has top 6 calibre hands and vision.

Might become a Kesler or might become a Paajarvi.

I'm not in favour of trading a good roster player like Hoffman as someone mentioned earlier & create a huge hole on the team or trading White or Chabot to move up. I would just prefer to stay put, I think there will be a few guys that will be decent players in the 12th spot. I like McLeod or Brown at 12th, both could be NHL ready sooner rather than later (2 to 3 yrs) & improve our bottom six until they are ready to move up a line.

As a former head of scouting I can't see Dorion trading his 1st round pick unless it's part of a package to move up

I agree, or he could trade it as part of a package to acquire a NHL player who can step into the lineup next season & produce immediately, if he is unable to draft the guy he wants or has targeted or has already been drafted by someone else.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Keller, the U18 MVP, would be a hell of a pick. Smaller , Very Skilled players are having NHL success on several teams. He is very skilled. His hands are as slick as they get. His vision is elite. Skating everything you want in a skilled forward. His numbers speak for themselves among the very best USA U18 players ever. If he falls to 12 we should take him. Re: trading up... Well unless its for one of the top 3 forwards or Dubois that could be a big mistake. No-one else really screams "I will be a better NHL forward than Keller". Its close.

Jost would be a great pick, but I am assuming he has moved up ahead of 12.

If Jost and Keller are gone... At forward, winger Bellows deserves a serious look. He is a power forward with decent size, likes to play aggressive and can really shoot the puck.

Bean and Fabbro would both be very solid picks if we go after a Defenseman or as BPA on our scouts list. Both are skilled High IQ Defensemen. Who wants those?

Last edited:

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Assuming we don't win one of the lotteries, what would it cost us to move up to a top 3 position?

12th + Hoffman + 2nd?

My value could be way off here...I've never been good at these hypothetical proposals.

I think it depends who the team is. Just going on what I hear, since I am not viewing prospects like others in this thread, I don't think anybody is trading away Mathews or Laine for anything since both could possibly make in impact right away or very soon for whoever takes them.

I don't know about including the 12th pick though. I don't know what the "value" of Hoffman is, so these are just ideas of teams in the top 10 where I think he might be wanted in a deal for their pick. I don't know what the overall package would have to consist of.

If a team like Vancouver is drafting 3-5, that seems like a logical destination for Hoffman if they don't feel like whoever they will take can contribute right away. Their entire franchise revolves around the Sedins, and by the time a high pick hits their prime, the Sedins will be retired. Hoffman is supposedly in his prime right now.

We almost saw a similar trade last year with Dougie Hamilton being considered by the Coyotes for the 3rd overall pick. Although I am not insinuating the Coyotes are in the same boat as Vancouver is with the Sedins.

Tim Murray is very aggressive as a GM and obviously has links to Hoffman because of his ties to this organization. If he likes Hoffman, and he is drafting 8th, maybe that makes sense. But, would a rookie GM in Dorion really want to risk making a trade like that which has a high chance of backfiring if Hoffman ends up as a star for a division rival?

Prior to the lottery, the Jets draft 6th, and just lost a top 6 player. They are far from a contender, but they could make the playoffs next season with the right bounces. They have a really deep prospect pool which might make it easier for them to flirt with the idea of moving a top 10 pick, so maybe that is a destination for Mike Hoffman if they want to add a 30 goal scorer.

Ottawa could very well extend Hoffman. Dorion apparently urged Murray to give Hoffman a longer term offer before arbitration, which he ultimately did. The offer was turned down by Hoffman's camp, but it puts into perspective that Dorion might be higher on Hoffman than Murray was.

Last edited:

Sentron5000

Mar 24, 2010
Matthews
Laine
Puijilarvi
Nylander
Chychrun
Dubois
Juolevi
Gauthier
Bean
Keller
Sergachyov
Jost
Fabbro
Brown
Mcleod
Anyone from ~8-15 is pretty interchangeable depending on a team's preferences. We will end up with someone good, likely one of Keller, Jost, Brown, or Mcleod

You missed Tkachuk, just to add another name who will be gone by 12.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Apparently Bob McKenzie had the tiers as:

2-3
4-12

Basically implying after the first 3 picks, it's going to be a complete crapshoot.

We're going to get a good player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad