Devils team discussion (news, notes and speculation) - offseason part I

ndkjr70

Jan 30, 2023
At least you gave us where you got the information and we can believe, disbelieve, or ignore as we like.

Much better than when people say they see something on Twitter rumors with no tweets. :lol:
lmao yes it should be made clear that I am a residential architect in Florida who has absolutely zero connection to the team. my friend is connected in some capacity, a capacity I will not divulge, but connected enough where I typically walk in through a different entrance when I visit NJ and typically enjoy Devils games in Prudential from a suite filled with Brooks Brothers' suits and mediocre sushi.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
the devils will have jack hughes nico hischier jesper bratt timo meier kurtis macdermid luke hughes and simon nemec for the better part of the next decade+

what a time to be alive. let's go get a goalie and win some stanley f***ing cups.

Jesper Bratt, Timo Meier and who?

1714492205951.png

Its Always Sundstrom

Among the optimists.
Sponsor
Dec 1, 2019
Everyone focuses on their forwards. Yes, being top heavy, losing Nylander and not getting Conn Smyth-type performances from the other 3 is bad (for them).

But the Leaf’s Top 4 is trash. Brodie came back for Game 4 but he‘s cooked. Their defense isn’t good at anything. Reilly is the only offensive guy but no one stands out defensively.

HockeyViz
View attachment 862063View attachment 862064

The Athletic
View attachment 861934
View attachment 861936View attachment 861937View attachment 861938

So I did drop acid today.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
Their top 6 didn’t get tougher. And their D is still poorly constructed.

I can’t stand strawmans…or semantics. In this argument we get a healthy helping of each.

I just distilled the debate you are having down to its simplest form - you are lamenting an absence from the market that is due to a lack of available players, not a decision any GM is actually making. The only readily available players who can add toughness are generally not great players - because if they were teams wouldn't give them up - which is why posters constantly bring up players like Reaves or MacDerimid (you know, players who actually changed teams).

Presenting someone who can fill this hole would have fewer people calling out the low level thugs.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
my buddy who tipped me off about the bratt extension and the severson trade just said sully and pittsburgh are mutually parting in the next 24 hours and that sully/nj will be announced within a week.

if he's wrong I won't post his shit again. but he's usually not wrong.

wait-what.gif

Hard to see how NJ would have any contact with Sullivan given he's still under contract with Pittsburgh, but let's see how this plays out...

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
lmao yes it should be made clear that I am a residential architect in Florida who has absolutely zero connection to the team. my friend is connected in some capacity, a capacity I will not divulge, but connected enough where I typically walk in through a different entrance when I visit NJ and typically enjoy Devils games in Prudential from a suite filled with Brooks Brothers' suits and mediocre sushi.

I was doubting all this until ........ :naughty:

Reactions: My3Sons

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

I can't think of any Devil in the top 6 that would do what Jamie Benn does in this clip aside from maybe Meier ^ but I can think of atleast 4 players in the top 6 that would of been flattened like Stankoven was. Granted Stankoven is probably the smallest player in the NHL right now but Benn didn't hesitate to stick up for his teammate with a big clean hit. That's the kind of grit the top 6 is missing. I don't care what people do after the play is dead mucking it up or whatever , it's about the play on ice when their is no stoppage that matters the most.

PERFECT. This is exactly what I want on this team and what "toughness" or whatever you want to call it, looks like to me. Icing goons who have 0 effect on the ice doesn't do shit.

Reactions: PizzaAndPucks

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
I just distilled the debate you are having down to its simplest form - you are lamenting an absence from the market that is due to a lack of available players, not a decision any GM is actually making. The only readily available players who can add toughness are generally not great players - because if they were teams wouldn't give them up - which is why posters constantly bring up players like Reaves or MacDerimid (you know, players who actually changed teams).

Presenting someone who can fill this hole would have fewer people calling out the low level thugs.
I’m simply pointing out the facts of the issue, not the reasons why a GM may or may not have addressed said issue. The Leafs have had more than half a decade to try to address the issues with their top players, I’m not getting into a retrospective of what moves they could have made or who they could have gone after.

I don’t think it’s what you say. The people who like to argue strawmans and semantics about “toughness” by and large tend to be the people who dismiss its importance in the top 6.

NJDfan86

Dec 29, 2021
I’m simply pointing out the facts of the issue, not the reasons why a GM may or may not have addressed said issue. The Leafs have had more than half a decade to try to address the issues with their top players, I’m not getting into a retrospective of what moves they could have made or who they could have gone after.

I don’t think it’s what you say. The people who like to argue strawmans and semantics about “toughness” by and large tend to be the people who dismiss its importance in the top 6.

Or, they determined that very few players who posses this toughness and talent are available to fill a teams top 6 - and you admitted that you have no answers, but expect people to earnestly engage you in debate about it's merits instead of pointing out the actual players who are moved for toughness reasons?

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Please tell me your source is saying they’re gonna do some house cleaning with their Associate Coach and goaltending coach.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
The issue as I see it as that there seems to be some segment of fans and the hockey world that equate toughness with strictly bottom 6 forwards who fight and hit but don’t do much else well. When in reality, you need toughness in your top 6, and what that entails is a mix of two way commitment, being hard on the puck, forecheck relentlessness, and the willingness to be a pest or at minimum push back physically/not be bullied.

The maple leafs did not properly address any of that. Their star players are softies both mentally and physically in the playoffs.

Also, the construction of the D-core is way off. No real #1 and no depth.

They got Bertuzzi & Domi, who aren’t bullied, or soft.

You know what they also aren’t? Two-way forwards.

A stint with Boston and now Toronto has gotten Bertuzzi to acknowledge that that defense as a concept exists, so that’s nice, but “two way commitment” might be a stretch.

Same with Domi, there’s a reason he’s on his 7th team at 29.

Getting a gritty two-way player who can produce and play in the top six isn’t easy. They aren’t cheap unless you draft or develop them yourself, assuming you can get them.

Everyone who keeps pinning for this hypothetical ideal for the Devils has to put more thought into identifying who they actually are and how to actually get these types of players.

And not call players who are defensive and/or offensive black holes “two-way forwards” because they’re “gritty”.

Toronto couldn’t/ didn’t keep the better supporting forwards they have (Hyman, JVR, Kadri, Bunting, Mikheyev, etc) and continually struggles to rotate in new cheap forward depth.

The defense was always a weakness. That probably peaked when they put together a 38 yo Giordano, a 32 yo Muzzin, a yo 31 Brodie and a 27 yo Reilly in 21-22 but the first three are either out or cooked.

I Hate Tie DOMI

Jul 2, 2002
Ontario
Sure it's a little misleading, but being on the ice for 22 empty net goals against can't be ignored either. That's a horrible stat on its own.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Sure it's a little misleading, but being on the ice for 22 empty net goals against can't be ignored either. That's a horrible stat on its own.

I mean, who else would have played that spot? Dougie is the legit the only other roster option you'd play in the specific scenario and he was obviously hurt. I would agree that Luke did look out of place there but there's legit no one else on the backend you'd play unless you go crazy and go 6F down a goal.

I don't see how anyone can argue against Bedard and Faber being #1 and #2 - pretty clear distinction between them and the rest.

No I agree, I'm just saying people are gonna nit pick Luke being there. He was also better than Faber driving offense while Faber was elite defensively. Nothing much that needs to be dissected since everyone knows that to be the case. When Luke was on, he's a better player than Faber but Faber is definitely the safer to the two options at this point in their careers. Also would help if Luke had a partner like Brodin like Faber had

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
At least you gave us where you got the information and we can believe, disbelieve, or ignore as we like.

Much better than when people say they see something on Twitter rumors with no tweets. :lol:
That and we'll know very quickly if there's something to it when/if the announcement on a parting of the ways with Sullivan comes today or tomorrow lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad