2016 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Tkachuk now has 22 points in 10 playoff games. Most in the OHL behind only Mitch the Great.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I wasn't a big Tkachuk fan, but he has done nothing but produce. His stock has to be rising.

He's always been a tremendous producer of points. At every level. In all situations. He's always just had a more highly regarded line mate or two so he never gets any credit from fans. According to Bob MacKenzie, though, the NHL scouting community at large sees him as a top five pick. This is a strange case where fans on HF have been very, very vocal about poo pooing a prospect but there seems to be no basis in reality for it. I've never seen the "secondary Tkachuk" narrative mentioned outside of fan forums and fan blogs. People paid for their opinions never express that particular one. Which is odd.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I get the jokes are sarcasm and you're poking fun of Leaf fans (even though none are here) but honest question, why are so many of you oddly obsessed with Mitch Marner?

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
I get the jokes are sarcasm and you're poking fun of Leaf fans (even though none are here) but honest question, why are so many of you oddly obsessed with Mitch Marner?

It was a tough choice between Strome and him. And while it still isn't clear which choice was the better of the two, Leafs fans have gone to hell and back ensuring everyone on these boards know how well Marner is doing at all times. After they have gone to point out every time he has a decent game, a shift at center, or any other minuet detail they can use to "prove" he is the best prospect outside of McDavid, they go on to point out how other prospects sometimes related (Dvoark) or completely unrelated (Laine) are not as talented as Marner.

Tl;dr Leafs fans have a Napoleon complex over their 5'8" prospect that could have been a Coyote, leaving them with Strome (whom if he was a Leaf we would all be hearing to no end how Marner wont make it in the NHL because of his stature)

rt

May 13, 2004

It's reactionary. Spend some time on the main boards and you'll understand. The narrative out there is that Tkachuk and Dvorark are trash and Mitch Jesus Marner carries them. Strome was trash at the WJC and Mitch was the one truth.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It's reactionary. Spend some time on the main boards and you'll understand. The narrative out there is that Tkachuk and Dvorark are trash and Mitch Jesus Marner carries them. Strome was trash at the WJC and Mitch was the one truth.

That, and the knowledge that if we had picked Marner and Toronto had picked Strome, the narrative would have changed swiftly and seamlessly so that Strome was the Chosen One and Marner the too-small bust forward.

It's just amusing seeing the number of absolutely Blue-blind Leafs fans out there and how high they build their pedestals.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
It was a tough choice between Strome and him. And while it still isn't clear which choice was the better of the two, Leafs fans have gone to hell and back ensuring everyone on these boards know how well Marner is doing at all times. After they have gone to point out every time he has a decent game, a shift at center, or any other minuet detail they can use to "prove" he is the best prospect outside of McDavid, they go on to point out how other prospects sometimes related (Dvoark) or completely unrelated (Laine) are not as talented as Marner.

Tl;dr Leafs fans have a Napoleon complex over their 5'8" prospect that could have been a Coyote, leaving them with Strome (whom if he was a Leaf we would all be hearing to no end how Marner wont make it in the NHL because of his stature)

You did so well up until that last bit. We have the largest fanbase by far on HF, its natural to have more 'idiots' that constantly stir the pot or say stupid stuff.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
You did so well up until that last bit. We have the largest fanbase by far on HF, its natural to have more 'idiots' that constantly stir the pot or say stupid stuff.

This is really the summation of why there are any comments like the one I made floating around forum 40. There are plenty of Leafs on the board that I respect. Honestly I can't wait to watch your team in the near future.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Yep, I'd argue the inferiority complex may just be found in those here that carry on about Marner.

There are a few (probably under a dozen - in other words a tiny fraction) TML fans that are just so over the top with their adoration of Marner it goes beyond hyperbole. The gushing over him just begs to be counter argued which of course starts an even bigger argument. As rt said, it is reactionary. Should not get sucked in but sometimes one cant resist.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003

It goes without saying that there are knowledgeable Leaf fans. The percentage is surely about the same as any franchise. It's just harder to filter out the noise because of the numbers involved.
Having to hear about it just part of the territory if you're a Leafs fan.
Just like hearing attendance talk if you're a sunbelt team.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
While there are knowledgeable Leafs fans, the vast and vocal majority on the mainboards are extremely frustrating to deal with and drown out the voices of the reasonable.

I treat it like any other situation of lemmings.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
There are a few (probably under a dozen - in other words a tiny fraction) TML fans that are just so over the top with their adoration of Marner it goes beyond hyperbole. The gushing over him just begs to be counter argued which of course starts an even bigger argument. As rt said, it is reactionary. Should not get sucked in but sometimes one cant resist.

Ha ha as if on cue some awesome comments on the Marner thread ( I will paraphrase)
1 - he is Patrik Kane with better defense
2 - god like talent
3 - basically Claude Giroux on the wing
4 - should have a few 160 to 170 point seasons in the NHL

Sigh. There is so much insight to gain from so many TML fans. They are highly knowledgeable and get to watch most of the (OHL) top prospects in person.

Then there are the few gems.

Palmer2Fitz

Oct 2, 2015
What's the best draft pick the Rangers pick can become and what would need to happen along with the first round exit that seems inevitable?

Tad Mikowski

Hail to the King Baby
Sponsor
May 31, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Ugh the lottery is still 2 weeks out. I just want to know where we are picking so all this "if team X wins the lottery, what can we fleece off the coyotes" nonsense can come to an end

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Watching pvr'd u18 games. Fabbro the real deal. Reasons why Pronman indicating he's in discussion for top D in draft. He's a true RD as well.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I am fully aware of this. Maybe you misread my question.
Not 100% sure, but I think 1st Playoff Rd impact seeds, so:

NYR currently at #22, if they lose to Pitt the pick will go down to #21 as the TB/Det winner (both finished with less Reg Season points) would jump them.

Then if the Islanders beat Fla, they too would jump the NYR, pick now #20

If Nash beats Ana then they jump them too, pick now is #19, which I believe is the highest the pick can be.

I'm not sure of the impact of the 2nd playoff round. The Conf Finalists are definitely the final 4 in the draft order.

rt

May 13, 2004
Watching pvr'd u18 games. Fabbro the real deal. Reasons why Pronman indicating he's in discussion for top D in draft. He's a true RD as well.

I just wish he wasn't so hell bent on going to college OR that he was already there. I hate the idea of burning a top ten pick on a kid (again) that goes to college a year later, decides to graduate, and ends up a free agent, leaving us with some bull **** compensatory pick five years later. We've been there. We've done that. It doesn't rule him out for me. But I don't like it. He should've either gone to Seattle in the WHL or accelerated HS and been a Freshman at BU this season. The hanging around in the BCHL thing I really don't like.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad