2016 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
McLeod is Sjostrom all over again, great skater, and absolutely has 'zero' finish.

Top 9 should be:

Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi
DuBois
Chychrun
Tkachuk
Sergachev
Juolevi
Nylander

We should get 1 of those players and we'll be fine. We shouldn't take someone off the board, not this year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
McLeod is Sjostrom all over again, great skater, and absolutely has 'zero' finish.

It seems like 50% of Miss fans think Nylander is easily, no-brainier vastly superior. The other 50% feel like McLeod is easily, no-brainier vastly superior. I haven't found many Miss fans or OHL fans in genera that don't have a very strong preference one way or the other. There's just nobody out there calling it a tie or a close race. People are so certain one way or the other.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
It seems like 50% of Miss fans think Nylander is easily, no-brainier vastly superior. The other 50% feel like McLeod is easily, no-brainier vastly superior. I haven't found many Miss fans or OHL fans in genera that don't have a very strong preference one way or the other. There's just nobody out there calling it a tie or a close race. People are so certain one way or the other.

Review McLeod video, the kid doesn't have a quality wrist shot, it's soft, weak, whatever you want to call it.

After watching him more I wouldn't touch him in the 1st round.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002

I'm not in love with either of them, to be honest. McLeod is barely worth a first rounder, if at all, and I've got Nylander ranked in the middle of the first.

My misgivings about McLeod have been covered (and seem to be echoed by ctwin22 and others). Sjostrom and Paajarvi and a bunch of other first round busts come to mind. Great wheels, great motor, but mediocre puck skills, weak shot and worrisome hockey IQ. He seems like a safe bet to be a reliable third liner, but I don't see much upside beyond that.

I've been underwhelmed by Nylander as well and think he'll end up underperforming relative to where he's projected to be drafted. His skill is undeniable, but he's too much of a perimeter player for my liking. I think he'll be relatively easy for defenders to neutralize at the pro level.

For what it's worth, my top 12 currently looks like:

1) Matthews
2) Laine
3) Dubois
4) Chychrun
5) Keller
6) Puljujarvi
7) Sergachev
8) Jones
9) Jost
10) Juolevi
11) Gauthier
12) Tkachuk

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
You like Keller a lot more than me, I think he's top 10...and I don't know how to gauge Jost because of the level of kids he plays against and he doesn't have a far superior pt production over other forwards in the BCHL which scares me a little considering most have him top 15 and you have him top 10.

The funny thing is that our draft boards are different but we end up with the same pick at #7 Sergachev.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
I'd be curious to see if PLD fell all the way down to 7 (Probably not)

Domi-Strome-Duclair

PLD-Hanzal-Rieder

Dvorak-Vermette-Tanguay

Martinook-Richardson-Doan

Do that and then for the rest of the draft stack up the Dmen cupboard.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
Sergachev being a good bet to go 7th sounds good to me until I consider our crappy draft lottery luck.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
You like Keller a lot more than me, I think he's top 10...and I don't know how to gauge Jost because of the level of kids he plays against and he doesn't have a far superior pt production over other forwards in the BCHL which scares me a little considering most have him top 15 and you have him top 10.

The funny thing is that our draft boards are different but we end up with the same pick at #7 Sergachev.

I'm definitely high on Keller, but he's an electrifying player. It's also worth noting that he's one of the younger players in the draft. He's not all that much smaller than Marner though and plays a similar game. Spectacular motor, high end skill level, and elite hockey sense. He moves quickly but thinks even quicker, not unlike Domi and Strome. Admittedly redundant in our system relative to other guys available, but who cares. When it comes to guys with this much potential, you draft as many as you can and let it sort itself out.

I understand the hesitancy with Jost, but he's a gamebreaker. From what I've seen, if he played in the WHL, he'd be a consensus top five pick. He's a riskier pick given the competition level, but I see a poor man's Hossa when I watch him play.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011

I don't have much info on him, but what about the other Mississauga forward, Nathan Bastien? He seems intriguing as a late 1st/early 2nd round type.

In fact, if this is a possibility, I would be interested in moving back from the NYR pick. Two teams, Toronto and Carolina, have two picks within the #25-44 range each (as playoff standings go), so maybe if there is a player that either team has in mind, we could move back to #28 and #32 with Toronto or numbers #25 and #43 with Carolina. We'd keep our 2nd round pick, and take Bastien with the late 1st?

Anybody with some info on Bastien?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Re: Bastian, I was hoping he would step up a little more while McLeod was out, but he seems to be clearly behind McLeod and Nylander in terms of current ability. He's big and plays a heavy game, but I'm not sure he's got the tools to be much more than a Bryan Bickell type of player.

rt

May 13, 2004
I'd be curious to see if PLD fell all the way down to 7 (Probably not)

Domi-Strome-Duclair

PLD-Hanzal-Rieder

Dvorak-Vermette-Tanguay

Martinook-Richardson-Doan

Do that and then for the rest of the draft stack up the Dmen cupboard.

PLD's high end NHL drafted linemates are turning pro this summer. I'd send him back, let him play full time center next season, try to carry the team on his own, try to make the WJC and continue to develop as a junior player. I think it would be a mistake to have him play wing in the NHL rather than center in junior next year.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Agreed, PLD needs to go back.

The only guys that are NHL ready IMHO are Matthews, Laine & Chychrun...possibly Pulujarvi, but I'd even keep him in Finland another year.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
PLD's high end NHL drafted linemates are turning pro this summer. I'd send him back, let him play full time center next season, try to carry the team on his own, try to make the WJC and continue to develop as a junior player. I think it would be a mistake to have him play wing in the NHL rather than center in junior next year.

I see him as our Swiss Army knife, a guy who can play Wing and Center.

By your statement, he's basically an extremely offensive Hanzal (If he can develop a defensive game)

He's 6'3 which is even better

rt

May 13, 2004
Agreed, PLD needs to go back.

The only guys that are NHL ready IMHO are Matthews, Laine & Chychrun...possibly Pulujarvi, but I'd even keep him in Finland another year.

I'd let Chychrun go back. See if he can have a Shea Weber style post draft year.

Puljujarvi is a tough call. What's his contract status?

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Re: Bastian, I was hoping he would step up a little more while McLeod was out, but he seems to be clearly behind McLeod and Nylander in terms of current ability. He's big and plays a heavy game, but I'm not sure he's got the tools to be much more than a Bryan Bickell type of player.

Being a Bickell-like player may not be the worst thing out there. Considering that some of the players whom we expected to be in a power forward type of role haven't exactly lived up to their expectations (Phil Lane, Jordan Szwarz, Jared Staal).

If that is Bastien's upside then a 1st round pick on him may not be best - somewhere in the 2nd round could work though.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Being a Bickell-like player may not be the worst thing out there. Considering that some of the players whom we expected to be in a power forward type of role haven't exactly lived up to their expectations (Phil Lane, Jordan Szwarz, Jared Staal).

If that is Bastien's upside then a 1st round pick on him may not be best - somewhere in the 2nd round could work though.

For sure. I've had him in the late 30s most of the year. I was thinking that when McLeod went down, he'd move to center and be more productive, and that would bump him into the first round, but he never took that step. Definitely worth a second round pick though.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014
Edmonton picks first and takes Laine and we end up with Matthews anyways?

OR we trade OEL + 2nd ovr for 1st ovr and then later it's revealed Edmonton would have drafted Laine anyways.

:laugh:

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The trade board is hysterical. "It's not enough to imagine we won the lottery -- imagine we can fleece AZ, too!" Followed by more hysteria and reasons AZ needs to trade for Matthews and be fleeced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad