2016 NHL Draft

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Meh. I'd welcome him to the pool. He's been playing with Sergachev and has been able to keep up. So maybe he's the type who can compliment a more skilled partner. Murphy has been able to do this with OEL so far and it's be valuable. We are also missing toughness from our blueline in a big way. We were successful when we had very heavy, "take no **** from anyone" D back there like Morris, Aucoin and Klesla. I think that is a missing element that we need for success. I don't really care if he doesn't put up a ton of points as long as he brings a piece to the equation. I mean, who'd have that that Dylan McIlrath would be the contributing addition to a playoff team while Gormley is a tweener minor-leaguer/healthy scratch on a non-playoff team?

Remember outrage at Rozsival for Wolski trade?

That's what is going to happen. That's what Tippett wants. Solid D with snarl who can play 20 mins/night mistake free without spending entire shift in D zone. Safe, reliable, effective.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Remember outrage at Rozsival for Wolski trade?

That's what is going to happen. That's what Tippett wants. Solid D with snarl who can play 20 mins/night mistake free without spending entire shift in D zone. Safe, reliable, effective.
As long as "Wolski" doesn't translate to Domi, Duclair, Strome, Dvorak, Perlini or their #1 this year I could likely live with it. Of course the problem is outside of those guys, who has enough trade value to fetch a solid if unspectacular D man like that....Reider? Martinook? Merkley? NYR's #1? AZ or Colorado's 2nd?

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
As long as "Wolski" doesn't translate to Domi, Duclair, Strome, Dvorak, Perlini or their #1 this year I could likely live with it. Of course the problem is outside of those guys, who has enough trade value to fetch a solid if unspectacular D man like that....Reider? Martinook? Merkley? NYR's #1? AZ or Colorado's 2nd?

Draft picks and possibly a highly thought of prospect. Perlini, Merkley, MacInnis examples. It will sting.

Gambl0r83*

There is no trade with Edmonton that doesn't involve McDavid that would make me comfortable with trading OEL to the Oilers.

LoL, alright, it's pretty dang clear that OEL is completely untouchable and if I were a Coyotes fan (which I kind of am), I would 100% say the same thing. He's such a stud in all areas of the game, generational type d-man. He's like a triple fusion of Pronger, Lidstrom, and Subban. Fast, tough, creative, accurate, big and passionate.

And yet it remains a pipe dream for us Oiler fans, daydreaming for one of the top 3 d-men in the league to end of our bottomless pit of suck. Watching Oliver Ekman-Larsson school our 1st overall picks for half a decade so far has been just been grand.

Like I said last year on how McDavid's rightful place would be Toronto (although that opinion has changed since they turned over a gold oiler card) , Matthews rightful place IMO is in Arizona.
So I hope you guys win the lottery on April 30th. We honestly do not want to win it this year, we don't need Matthews, and we've had our share our 1st overalls for the next 25yrs. The league would just vomit on us if we won it anyway.

Arizona is on the brink of becoming a consistent playoff contender and Matthews would propel the franchise to new heights

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Maybe. Don't count your chickens before they hatch. We are nowhere near a contender at the moment which you are well aware of. Defense wins games, and like you said we lack depth, heck we lack quality. Our D have to really upgrade our D before we can even talk making the playoffs let alone being a contender.

The Dallas Stars (11th worst in the league and all playoff teams) say hello.

:laugh:

But yeah.... I agree with ya.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
LoL, alright, it's pretty dang clear that OEL is completely untouchable and if I were a Coyotes fan (which I kind of am), I would 100% say the same thing. He's such a stud in all areas of the game, generational type d-man. He's like a triple fusion of Pronger, Lidstrom, and Subban. Fast, tough, creative, accurate, big and passionate.

And yet it remains a pipe dream for us Oiler fans, daydreaming for one of the top 3 d-men in the league to end of our bottomless pit of suck. Watching Oliver Ekman-Larsson school our 1st overall picks for half a decade so far has been just been grand.

Like I said last year on how McDavid's rightful place would be Toronto (although that opinion has changed since they turned over a gold oiler card) , Matthews rightful place IMO is in Arizona.
So I hope you guys win the lottery on April 30th. We honestly do not want to win it this year, we don't need Matthews, and we've had our share our 1st overalls for the next 25yrs. The league would just vomit on us if we won it anyway.

Arizona is on the brink of becoming a consistent playoff contender and Matthews would propel the franchise to new heights
I like you!

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Should we start to identify which draft eligible a project as either 1st line forwards or top pairing D?

Forwards:

Mathews, Laine, Puju
Dubois
tkachuk
Nylander
Keller

D:
Sergachev
Juolevi

Close: Fabbro (need more views), Chychrun (has all the tools but he has brain farts that bring on memories of Jovo- I may be alone here but for me with him it's about the mistakes I see with his game)

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
The Dallas Stars (11th worst in the league and all playoff teams) say hello.

:laugh:

But yeah.... I agree with ya.

Yeah in the past 6 years of the Stanley Cup playoffs, if you are in the top 12 teams for GAA, you are likely to be in the final 4 teams. In fact, there are only 2 outliers of the final 2 teams from each conference (incidentally, both times it is the Tampa Bay Lightning).

So, I would be pretty shocked to see Dallas in the SCF, but crazy things have happened.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Yeah in the past 6 years of the Stanley Cup playoffs, if you are in the top 12 teams for GAA, you are likely to be in the final 4 teams. In fact, there are only 2 outliers of the final 2 teams from each conference (incidentally, both times it is the Tampa Bay Lightning).

So, I would be pretty shocked to see Dallas in the SCF, but crazy things have happened.

Well Minnesota showed they can be beat if you keep the pressure on their D like we did to them in the regular season.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Should we start to identify which draft eligible a project as either 1st line forwards or top pairing D?

Forwards:

Mathews, Laine, Puju
Dubois
tkachuk
Nylander
Keller

D:
Sergachev
Juolevi

Close: Fabbro (need more views), Chychrun (has all the tools but he has brain farts that bring on memories of Jovo- I may be alone here but for me with him it's about the mistakes I see with his game)

Good exercise.

For forwards, I think Matthews, Laine, Dubois, Keller, and Jost have pretty good shots at being 1st line guys. Puljujarvi and Tkachuk are close. Jones, Gauthier and Bellows look like tweeners.

On defense, Chychrun is the only guy I see with legitimate #1 upside. Sergachev could get there, but he's got too many risks for me to feel very confident about him getting there. Juolevi, McAvoy and Fabbro all look like very good 2nd pairing guys to me. Bean, Day and Krys are longshots, but they could get there, too. I also like Cam Dineen quite a bit.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Draft Lottery countdown...10 Days!

After last years fiasco not sure I can stomach to watch.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Eh it won't be as bad this year, last year was basically the ultimate **** you to all coyote fans. Worst case we pick what 10th? The drop from 7 to ten isn't nearly as bad as missing out on Eichel and mcdavid.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Last year I was driving home from Tucson with my family and had stopped to eat at a Chili's. I had to ask the waitress to turn NHL Network on, and we tuned in just in time to see Connor McDavid's "Dear god this is a nightmare" face when Daly pulled Edmonton's card.

This year, I'll be at home but without NHL Network so I'm just going to pop antacids all day while I try to convince myself that we don't have the requisite karma to get the Matthews pick.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I was at a French restaurant with my wife for her birthday. As I'm a very thoughtful husband, and quite attentive, I had my friends live texting me updates with my phone on silent, sitting in my lap. So I had to be very privately and very inwardly crushed. My soul was dying but I was smiling and saying, "why yes, this Chateauneuf Du Pape is rather good!" ...ugh. The scars. Emotional scars. Ugh.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

As long as ANY 3 teams NOT named Oilers win I will be good.

Crossing fingers the Coyotes win the 1st pick.

Still think Boston wins one of the lottery picks.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
As long as ANY 3 teams NOT named Oilers win I will be good.

Crossing fingers the Coyotes win the 1st pick.

Still think Boston wins one of the lottery picks.

I'd rather the Oilers win than any team below us. I just don't want to move back without being compensated with an asset of some kind.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Great! Hopefully Pit finishes off the Rags. Don't want to see you New York make the final four and lower our pick.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

A vision has come to me...
Rangers fire current GM
Maloney hired by Rangers
Maloney re-signs Yandle for 5 years, 6 million per
Maloney signs Boedker for 5 years, 5 million per
Maloney trades Yandle and Boedker to Coyotes for Duclair, Merkley (or Fischer), and ex-NYR 2016 1st round pick

:sarcasm:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
A vision has come to me...
Rangers fire current GM
Maloney hired by Rangers
Maloney re-signs Yandle for 5 years, 6 million per
Maloney signs Boedker for 5 years, 5 million per
Maloney trades Yandle and Boedker to Coyotes for Duclair, Merkley (or Fischer), and ex-NYR 2016 1st round pick

:sarcasm:

Much rather have Duclair than Boedker.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I was at a French restaurant with my wife for her birthday. As I'm a very thoughtful husband, and quite attentive, I had my friends live texting me updates with my phone on silent, sitting in my lap. So I had to be very privately and very inwardly crushed. My soul was dying but I was smiling and saying, "why yes, this Chateauneuf Du Pape is rather good!" ...ugh. The scars. Emotional scars. Ugh.
Honestly you were spared a bit, seeing that Edmonton logo on a gold card get flipped over live and at the last point it literally possible is a flash memory for me. I don't think I'll ever be able to unsee it, sports fan PTSD for life!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->