2016 NHL Draft - Part 3 - June 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Wouldn't we likely still be looking at one of Jost or Keller at 10?

Would Colorado do 10+40 for 7+53?

I suspect at least one of them would still be there at 10, but I've got them both in my top five, so it's possible Montreal and Buffalo do, too. I'd want something like 10 and 40 for 7 and a later pick, or I'd just sit tight.

tucknroll

Feb 13, 2015
Chychrun is going to be a stud, watched him play all season very well, great mind on defence (no D is better at covering their man this year than him), he is constantly moving and he's incredibly fast, he wont QB your team but he's got a shot from the point thats hard and will make it through a crowd 8/10, he's just like Ekblad in so many ways, and one of the best leaders on the ice I saw all year.

But Keller is starting to look like my clear cut choice personally, he's just too good and will make an awesome winger, i'm also hearing that Windsor believes he's going to end up there next year to play with his buddy Brown instead of BU which should raises his value even more. Any team that drafts him will probably try and convince him to play with Windsor too

Keller or Chychrun at #7 for me, if they are both available and Dubois hasn't dropped to 7 then the only problem should be picking just one

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto

Not only did we leave Bleakley unsigned, but if we look at Colorado's first 4 picks from the 2014 draft:

23 ov - Conner Bleakley - traded, unsigned and will re-enter drafted
84 ov - Kyle Wood - traded
93 ov - Nick Magyar - unsigned and will re-enter draft
114 ov - Alexis Pepin - unsigned and will re-enter draft

May be time for some new scouts in Colorado.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
It's time for new a lot of things in Colorado. But it's going to be real hard for them to fire Roy and Sakic.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Same reason I don't want Doan as GM. He can learn to be an AGM here and then move on, like Yzerman did in Detroit.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Had a dream last night that we picked him and talked him into playing for Everett rather than NoDak.

UND great school. Perfect place for development. There is nothing to do but go to school, exercise, and play hockey.

One of my favourite hockey venues. Worth going to. Amazing game experience.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Brown or Chychurn at 7 and Hajek or Jones at 20. If we move 7 for a later pick (say 13) then Fabbro.

I think I'm the only one aiming for Hajek, then again, last year I think I was the only one calling for Carlo (@30). I like those rangy, 2 way, physical defenders. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll be there at 37 and we can grab him.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
UND great school. Perfect place for development. There is nothing to do but go to school, exercise, and play hockey.

You're not kidding about that. I went there for a buddy's bachelor party and was surprised there's no strippers in the city. A college town with no strippers. Weird.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Brown or Chychurn at 7 and Hajek or Jones at 20. If we move 7 for a later pick (say 13) then Fabbro.

I think I'm the only one aiming for Hajek, then again, last year I think I was the only one calling for Carlo (@30). I like those rangy, 2 way, physical defenders. Maybe I'll get lucky and he'll be there at 37 and we can grab him.

I like Hajek but not at 20 or 37. He's likely gone by 57.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If there was still any fear that we would empty the cupboard for Matthews, Twitter says we didn't even bother to interview him at the combine.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
If there was still any fear that we would empty the cupboard for Matthews, Twitter says we didn't even bother to interview him at the combine.
Saw that too, hopefully this puts a fork in the Matthews to AZ (very false/HF Board-driven) rumors.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Not only did we leave Bleakley unsigned, but if we look at Colorado's first 4 picks from the 2014 draft:

23 ov - Conner Bleakley - traded, unsigned and will re-enter drafted
84 ov - Kyle Wood - traded
93 ov - Nick Magyar - unsigned and will re-enter draft
114 ov - Alexis Pepin - unsigned and will re-enter draft

May be time for some new scouts in Colorado.

Rick Pracey who I believe was in charge was fired with a new regime brought in 2015. I dunno if the other scouts changed but the head guy is gone at least, he's an amateur scout for the Flyers now. Screwed up the rebuild tbh, Duchene/Barrie/O'Reilly were the only productive players drafted between 2008-2012 outside the obvious Landeskog and possibly Pickard

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
Cue Jonathan Toews, the most boring, serious dude in the NHL :biglaugh:
One of my favourite hockey venues. Worth going to. Amazing game experience.
Top of my North American list; gotta find a Coyotes v Wild/Jets trip one of these years that makes sense schedule-wise.
So ISS final rankings are up:

http://www.isshockey.com/iss-top-30/

One surprise for me is McAvoy at 23. I thought he would rise.
Brown + Fabbro/McAvoy or Chychrun + Howden/Thompson are both fine by me. Big centers, skilled defense, pro hockey bloodlines ... we're checking all the boxes here.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
To COL
7th+53rd

To ARI
10th+40th
--
To CAR
20th+40th

To ARI
13th+104th
--
PHI gets the 104th and we keep our 2017 3rd
--
@10th: Tyson Jost
@13th: Dante Fabbro
@37th: Cam Dineen
@67th: Tyler Parsons
--
We get yet another top C prospect; pipeline keeps flowing
We get a #1 RD prospect to slot ahead of Kyle Wood
We get a new #1 LD prospect to slot ahead of Capobianco
We get a new G prospect to add to the steady stream coming

rt

May 13, 2004
45-90 is the best range to draft goalies. They actually have a better success rate in that range than other positions. See earlier in this thread for reference.

rt

May 13, 2004
My list:
1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujarvi
4. Tkachuk
5. Dubois
6-11. Brown/Jost/Keller/Chychrun/Juolevi/Sergachev<Can't rank them.
12. Nylander

So I guess I'd rather trade out, trade up, or trade down. Probably at least to 10, 11, or 12.

My initial thought, that changes with the wind and is based on nothing is:

6. Brown
7. Jost
8. Chychrun
9. Juolevi
10. Sergachev
11. Keller

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
My list:
1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujarvi
4. Tkachuk
5. Dubois
6-11. Brown/Jost/Keller/Chychrun/Juolevi/Sergachev<Can't rank them.
12. Nylander

So I guess I'd rather trade out, trade up, or trade down. Probably at least to 10, 11, or 12.

I'd be more inclined to just put Nylander in the 6-12 group and at that point, we are getting a player who is high on the list, regardless. Trading back just seems like the prudent thing to do - in a way, we really can't lose by trading back.

I think my big fear/concern is that our management will have a player who is consensus #13-19 on most other draft boards be ranked somewhere in the #7-10 range and we wind up taking that player at #7, even though it is very likely that same player would be available at #10, 11, or 12 - possibly later than that.

That has been my story all along - is #7 the right value for the player or players that we are interested in, or can we move back and get basically the same player that we were eyeing at #7 about 3-8 picks later? For all we know, Jost may be the #7 player on our board and he still may be there at #11 if we move back. Nothing wrong with moving back when all of the options are so closely packed together and also fulfill needs for the team in general.

rt

May 13, 2004
It is popular these days to do a value chart for draft selections. Recently on TSN, Travis Yost did one based on adjusted games played which is a good starting point. However, it misses the fact that games played only measure the quantity not the quality of games played. For those following along to my blog, you will know that most of my research has been in trying to group forwards and defenseman based on quality of play using career avg PPG for forwards and career ATOI for defensemen. Combining my work with the fantastic work done by Michael Schuckers I was able to come up with a value chart for first year eligible forwards and defenseman. These are the results:

round1valuepickchart.png

round2valuepickchart.png

round3valuepickchart.png

I also look into some trade scenarios for the 2016 draft using my draft pick value chart. For example, if the Leafs traded down to 2nd overall Yost suggests all the Jets need to add is the 96th overall pick. My chart suggests otherwise.

trade1.png

To read more, CLICK HERE
For our trade back speculation fun.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I think trading back could be a great idea value wise. With our scouts recent success though if they think highly of someone we're not sure will still be on the board when we trade down I'd rather us take him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad