2016 NHL Draft - Part 3 - June 24th

Status
Not open for further replies.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Think we could get #13 & #21 for #7 & #37 ?

Probably. Just trying to figure out what the move up 16 spots would be good for, unless we are looking at #20 or #21 alone to get an NHL defenseman.

#13: D McAvoy
#20: C Kunin
#21: Trade for D
#53: BPA F or LHD
#67: BPA F or LHD

Interesting, but part of me would rather see if we can get some short-term D help in and continue to add depth in the system with a number of picks. Plus any D that we would like to get may cost more than just #20 or #21. Small difference of opinion, as I think we are getting a good deal either way.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I think we should take Victor Mete with our third round pick. Regardless of size, he's just too good of a skater to pass on. I would even consider trying to develop him as a forward.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
7: Jakob Chychrun
20: Charlie McAvoy
37: Cliff Pu
57: Alex DeBrincat
67: Sean Day

I kinda like this scenario. A lot of dice rolls there, but you can't hit a home run if you don't try...

OriginalJetsCoyotes

Mar 7, 2016
Hanmer, Ontario

I kinda like this scenario. A lot of dice rolls there, but you can't hit a home run if you don't try...

I'd like this, though I'd prefer Sergachev over Chychrun but I don't think DeBrincat is still there at 57. Some have him going late in the first round.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What I keep drawing back to with Chychrun is his dedication to hockey really stands out. Obviously any kid who has made it this far in hockey is incredibly dedicated, but it seems to stand out even moreso with Chychrun. Strome is the same way, as is Domi. Hockey obsessed.

Maybe that has something to do with growing up in a hockey family. A South Florida kid like Chychurn could have very easily taken a different path, but he was there growing up in Florida and regularly flying up to Michigan for weekend tournaments. This kid breathes hockey.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

That would be fantastic.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
I think if we are drafting BPA, that first pick is going to be a forward. I know that we are almost getting too saturated with forwards but if we keep to drafting this way, you fix the balance latter with trades. We either develop them first and get max value for them or we trade them for a d-man in someone else's system who our scouts view as comparable value.

This is the best way to operate and get the most for your money so-to-speak. If we go into the draft thinking that first pick needs to be a d-man, we may pass a real good deal along to teams picking below us and we don't want to do that.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I really want Sergachev but I admit I have absolutely no right as I have watched basically nothing other than highlights. My reasoning: He basically swept the voting for the OHL's best defenseman award which is decided by coaches and GM's if I'm not mistaken. That means a lot.

Windsor improved a ton this year and it was due a lot in part to him and Fischer. I also think he takes unnecessary criticism for the Russian factor. It's a non-entity to me. The kid moved away at 18 to play junior hockey and not make any money. It's one thing if he's playing in Russia, but he's clearly shown a desire to play in the NHL by coming over.

DomiToDuclair

Oct 17, 2014

Replace Chychrun with Tkachuk and this would be a dream draft.

Doubt it happens since people would really have to sleep on Debrincat and Day, and maybe even Pu.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I think if we are drafting BPA, that first pick is going to be a forward. I know that we are almost getting too saturated with forwards but if we keep to drafting this way, you fix the balance latter with trades. We either develop them first and get max value for them or we trade them for a d-man in someone else's system who our scouts view as comparable value.

This is the best way to operate and get the most for your money so-to-speak. If we go into the draft thinking that first pick needs to be a d-man, we may pass a real good deal along to teams picking below us and we don't want to do that.

But the flip side is being able to trade back - I think that D is high on our target list, and if it comes down to getting amazing value, then we look to the teams that are moving up for the forward. I know people have question marks regarding if Juolevi, Chychrun, or Sergachev is the top player at D. We could move back and still see one of those three fall to us.

I think the concern to what you are saying could also be seen in our drafts from 2006-2012 ish. We kept winding up taking D. Where was the max value for Gormley when we traded him? Just b/c we get a perceived solid player doesn't mean that the player might be the 4th best prospect on several other teams...

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016

Swap Pu and DeBrincat and I think this becomes more realistic. And with this, we'd win the draft.

strizzy16

Welcome to Life, 2.0
Mar 6, 2012
somewhere south
I think we should take Victor Mete with our third round pick. Regardless of size, he's just too good of a skater to pass on. I would even consider trying to develop him as a forward.

I loved watching Mete play. Would love to snag him if he's available. Maybe a Torey Krug type of player?

Here's the thing, after this tournament, every other team in the league might overrate some of these Knights guys like mete and Pu and such on their draft boards, so some teams might reach on them, making them not even available when we think they are going to be available

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Here's the thing, after this tournament, every other team in the league might overrate some of these Knights guys like mete and Pu and such on their draft boards, so some teams might reach on them, making them not even available when we think they are going to be available

I doubt NHL scouts/GMs would react to tournament performances in that way. Most teams probably already have their lists pretty much set (except for a few minor changes once the Combine takes place--for those invited)

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
Curious, why is nobody here talking about Hajek? Seems like a solid, no brainer choice for a late first/ early second. All indications suggest he'll be a solid top 4.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I loved watching Mete play. Would love to snag him if he's available. Maybe a Torey Krug type of player?

I love watching that guy play as well , seems really tiny for a defenseman though.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
What are you going to get to make it worthwhile?

Probably a 3rd round pick or D/RW prospect. Maybe even a bottom 6 forward to plug in - depends on if we need to add something. Send #7 to New Jersey for #11 and Devante Smith-Pelly? Might need to add something to get that done, like a late round 2017 pick?

What about #7 OA and #157 OA for #12 OA, #79 OA, and Chiasson? Tough bottom 6 RW who hasn't really been great in Ottawa and adds some size and grit. Plus he is right handed.

Ottawa can move up for a forward, or if they are in love with a defenseman that we have ranked lower on our board, we gladly step aside and let the Senators scoop up the player that we don't want.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I value the 5 extra draft slots more than I value the rest of that pile. Giving our scouts more to choose from is a very good thing.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
Curious, why is nobody here talking about Hajek? Seems like a solid, no brainer choice for a late first/ early second. All indications suggest he'll be a solid top 4.

I like him as a Michalek-type with a bit more offensive upside. He's a solid player for sure, but I think he gets overlooked because, like Michalek, he plays a relatively quiet game, and he's typically ranked in the same range as some much flashier (if much riskier) defensemen. I've got him 29th overall at the moment.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I value the 5 extra draft slots more than I value the rest of that pile. Giving our scouts more to choose from is a very good thing.

Yeah, a lot of this is based on the idea that Sergachev, Juolevi, Chychrun, Fabbro, and McAvoy all wind up being somewhere between #7-#16 on our draft board, and that there is minimal difference between any of them. As well as minimal difference between the D and F available. Worst case scenario is we get a D that was likely so close to the player we would take at #7 anyhow and see if we can get some burn for Chiasson on the 3rd or 4th line. If Chiasson competes well, we sign him to 2-4 more years at a decent rate, considering he is in last year of RFA next year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
What about #7 OA and #157 OA for #12 OA, #79 OA, and Chiasson? Tough bottom 6 RW who hasn't really been great in Ottawa and adds some size and grit. Plus he is right handed.

Ottawa can move up for a forward, or if they are in love with a defenseman that we have ranked lower on our board, we gladly step aside and let the Senators scoop up the player that we don't want.

You want to drop down 5 spots for Chiasson? His development cure has not only stalled but is heading in the wrong direction. Doesn't make sense to me.The other picks mentioned mean nothing as the chance of them playing in the NHL are slim. I just wait another year for Fisher.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I like him as a Michalek-type with a bit more offensive upside. He's a solid player for sure, but I think he gets overlooked because, like Michalek, he plays a relatively quiet game, and he's typically ranked in the same range as some much flashier (if much riskier) defensemen. I've got him 29th overall at the moment.

I mostly agree with ya, I however think he'll be in the same point range as Michalek in his prime, but with a heavier game. Michalek is a strong positional dman who doesn't tend to rock the body when maybe he should, something I feel Hajek would bring with him. He does have a nice shot and break out pass though so I'm not at all claiming your observation is wrong, you could be spot on.

Anyway I asked because I think he's probably the 3rd best D choice in the 1st round. Not saying he should be 12OA or anything like that, but I like him more that Juolevi, Sergachev, Bean, and McAvoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad