NFL Draft: 2016 NFL Draft thread - Part 2

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Ha. Watching some of his clips and it's as if there is no competition. He just runs past those guys with ease. He's going to be in for a surprise when he goes up against defenders who can actually get a hand on him. I'd be shocked if he actually made the roster.

Sounds about right.

I think they'll stash him on the practice squad early and get him coached up.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
They did exactly what they needed to do.

DeForest Buckner and Josh Garnett are Day 1 starters. Buckner could be Mo Wilkerson 2.0. Garnett is a beast.

Will Redmond and Rashard Robinson are talented corners that push Reeser and Acker down and Ward back to safety since Bethea seems to be the odd man out.

John Theus will compete for the starting RT job

Ronald Blair is a DPR.

I won't get to the rest since they most likely won't be playing much at all.

I was confused by drafting corners but after reading different articles I think since so many teams are in sub packages, base defense isn't all that important anymore. Ward will move to SS, Reid to FS, Tartt will be the Spur backer or moneybacker. Redmond and Robinson will compete for the #2 and nickel corner spot.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Seattle had a good day one.

Like the OL they got in the first and the trade they made. Pkua getting the DT in round 2 was great.

Third round was interesting. RB from ND I like cause it gives them a pass catcher who will be a big mismatch against LB since he was a former WR.

TE was OK, bit I would have figured LB it DB was a higher need.

OT puck has some durability issues which I hope are behind him.

Day two was odd. Like the DT in round 5, but they added two more RB, a WR and a center. They have a few of these depth linemen the past two years.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I was lukewarm about the Pats day 2, I really liked their day 3. I liked all of the picks but I really liked that they turned some of their surplus of really late picks into a 4th next year. Replaces the forgotten deflategate pick that is forfeited next year.

Snagged a couple of WR's, got some line and LB depth, got a great athlete who should be able to help on ST. Malcolm Mitchell is a guy I hoped they would land

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Hey Gene what's your opinion on Charles Tapper?

What contributions will Anthony Brown and Kavon Frazier offer?

Thanks in advance.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I think Cook's biggest mistake was bypassing the senior bowl. A missed opportunity to fix his rep by showing teams how he preps, works with his teammates and that he takes to coaching. It helped Brissett. Teams saw his raw potential and outstanding leadership traits.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
They did exactly what they needed to do.

DeForest Buckner and Josh Garnett are Day 1 starters. Buckner could be Mo Wilkerson 2.0. Garnett is a beast.

Will Redmond and Rashard Robinson are talented corners that push Reeser and Acker down and Ward back to safety since Bethea seems to be the odd man out.

John Theus will compete for the starting RT job

Ronald Blair is a DPR.

I won't get to the rest since they most likely won't be playing much at all.

I was confused by drafting corners but after reading different articles I think since so many teams are in sub packages, base defense isn't all that important anymore. Ward will move to SS, Reid to FS, Tartt will be the Spur backer or moneybacker. Redmond and Robinson will compete for the #2 and nickel corner spot.
Thank you.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Vikings draft:

1 (23) WR Laquon Treadwell
2 (54) CB Mackensie Alexander
4 (121) T/G Willie Beavers
5 (160) ILB Kentrell Brothers
6 (180) WR Moritz Boehringer
6 (188) TE David Morgan
6 (227) DE Stephen Weatherly
7 (244) S Jayron Kearse

I really like the top two picks. Treadwell should be an impact player right away. Alexander is stuck behind a few guys right now and might not play much next season but he was too good to pass up. He'll get his shot once Newman and Munnerlyn likely leave after next season. Beavers, Boehringer, and Weatherly all seem like raw developmental players.

I also like the trade they made on Friday. Traded their 3rd round pick this year to the Dolphins for their 3rd and 4th round picks next year.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
I think Cook's biggest mistake was bypassing the senior bowl. A missed opportunity to fix his rep by showing teams how he preps, works with his teammates and that he takes to coaching. It helped Brissett. Teams saw his raw potential and outstanding leadership traits.

Agreed. When your issues are leadership and attitude, you can only change that opinion with a game situation and full pad practice, rather than a pro day. Surprised his agent didn't do more to convince him to attend.

Now, he's behind Derek Carr with the Raiders. Don't understand the reasoning of the Raiders for this pick. Sure, he's likely an upgrade over McGloin, but do you need Cook?

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
Agreed. When your issues are leadership and attitude, you can only change that opinion with a game situation and full pad practice, rather than a pro day. Surprised his agent didn't do more to convince him to attend.

Now, he's behind Derek Carr with the Raiders. Don't understand the reasoning of the Raiders for this pick. Sure, he's likely an upgrade over McGloin, but do you need Cook?

Considering that QB injuries are happening fairly frequently, I think having a good back up is necessary.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
The Saints got not one, but two, 2015 AP All American first-team offensive linemen - as UDFA's. That's wild. I didn't care for all the trading up but that UDFA class is like having 5-6 more quality draft picks.

How do guys like Jack Allen and Trae Elston not get drafted? Blows my mind.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Some UDFAs:

The Bills signed Glenn Gronkowski, because of course they did.

The first of the McCaffreys to make the NFL, Max, has signed with Oakland after reportedly turning down an offer from the Broncos.

Jeremy Cash lands in Carolina. Finally an actual safety.

Simms McElfresh is a Lion. Okay that's not really important since I doubt he's an NFL player but he's from my alma mater and look at that name. I think we recruit based on that. Bobo Beathard is a Cardinal, Malachi Jones is a Falcon, and Zach "Auto" Matics, kicker, is still available.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Jeremy Cash ending up in Carolina is gonna make a lot of Duke/Panthers fans I know VERY happy. They rave about him.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The Saints got not one, but two, 2015 AP All American first-team offensive linemen - as UDFA's. That's wild. I didn't care for all the trading up but that UDFA class is like having 5-6 more quality draft picks.

How do guys like Jack Allen and Trae Elston not get drafted? Blows my mind.

They've had success with UFDA's. Almost as much as the draft itself. I'm sure that makes them feel better about trading up all the time.

I didn't realize Trevone Boykin was draft eligible, and thus went undrafted. Signed in Seattle.

kov

Jul 5, 2002
NYC
Apologies to actual gridiron fans, I'm just a Detroit fan so am grandfathered into the Lions (at least nobody can accuse me of bandwagoning ;)).

Some questions though...
Some UDFAs ...

Simms McElfresh is a Lion. Okay that's not really important since I doubt he's an NFL player but he's from my alma mater and look at that name. I think we recruit based on that. Bobo Beathard is a Cardinal, Malachi Jones is a Falcon, and Zach "Auto" Matics, kicker, is still available.

How many UDFAs do teams normally sign in an offseason? It says here that the Lions signed 13 of 'em!

FirstRoundExit

Apr 26, 2015
Jeff Fisher mentioned he hopes to sign 15-20 UDFAs so not sure of the cap.

Anyone have any info on Tyler Higbee or Mike Thomas (of Southern Miss)? Seem them play and have an opinion on them?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad