NFL Draft: 2016 NFL Draft thread - Part 2

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
I can. Coaches have been smitten with his mechanics since high school.

Never mind mechanics don't mean **** if you can't read a defense and constantly over-throw wide open receivers, but he's been overrated every step of the way. A source of constant disappointment for a Penn State fan.

His mechanics are terrible though. Arm is never in sync with his feet, inconsistent throwing base, sometimes too narrow and sometimes too wide. You can fix his mechanics but quarterbacks very rarely improve on what they aren't good at.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
His mechanics are terrible though. Arm is never in sync with his feet, inconsistent throwing base, sometimes too narrow and sometimes too wide. You can fix his mechanics but quarterbacks very rarely improve on what they aren't good at.

No argument from me. People have been seeing things in him that simply aren't there from the start.

Moving up to draft a kicker in the 2nd still does it for me. Like what?

This one easily wins it for me. It's one thing to draft a kicker in the 2nd, but to trade up to do so? Kickers are just too damn fickle.

I'm still furious that the Steelers didn't have their 6th rounder because of a kicker trade, but it was the timing that caused that (1st week of the pre-season schedule before 30 teams had even played a game yet, meaning that every fringe kicker was still in camp with a different team). The last 3 effective Steelers kickers all came out of mid-season open tryouts (Reed, Suisham, and Boswell).

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
Moving up to draft a kicker in the 2nd still does it for me. Like what?

I dont get why people are down on kickers. There are not 32 NFL calibre kickers. A poor kicker can sink a team. A good kicker can last through two cycles of most other positions. An extra five to ten feet of range can add a fair amount of points over the course of a season. Getting a high end solution kicker can do a lot to improve and stablize both the offense and special teams.

And yet experts view them as disposable.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's not that they're disposable, it's that they're fickle and very few kickers are good in the long-term, plus it's not as if they're any easier to scout than any other position...plenty of absurdly hyped kickers have been no better than average in the NFL. Mike Nugent was a god-tier prospect who was lousy as a Jet. He picked things up later on, but that didn't help the team that spent a 2nd round pick on him.

Nalyd Psycho

Feb 27, 2002
No Bandwagon
Visit site
But the same could be said for most positions. I do not know if any position has a strong success rate at the top of the draft, and only a couple have a terrible success rate after the top guys.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
I dont get why people are down on kickers. There are not 32 NFL calibre kickers. A poor kicker can sink a team. A good kicker can last through two cycles of most other positions. An extra five to ten feet of range can add a fair amount of points over the course of a season. Getting a high end solution kicker can do a lot to improve and stablize both the offense and special teams.

And yet experts view them as disposable.

The most succinct way I've seen this argued is the following (from another message board). Is Aguayo a big enough upgrade to spend a 2nd on?

His biggest selling point is that he's automatic within 40 yards. Outside of 40 yards he averaged around ~71% accuracy (nothing crazy if you check the stats from last season for kickers).

Connor Barth, the Bucs kicker last year, was 100% from within the 40 too. He had missed only 1 PAT. Before him, Patrick Murray had missed two kicks within 40, both were blocked. However in the latters case, he was 11/13 from outside the 40.

Aguayo's longest is also 53 yards, so it's not like he has some freakish leg to kick some very average outside 40 yard numbers.

Under the new PAT rule, the average success was 94% over the season. Even if Aguayo hits 100%, the difference between that and the average kicker in minimal.

It's a waste of a 2nd round pick for a position that realistically didn't get upgraded. Best case scenario, you got a minor upgrade for the long term using a premium asset. Ask the Jags how Bryan Anger worked out for them.

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
After looking at the draft as a whole I think the Jags hit a grand slam without a doubt the best draft this year. My others in the top 5 the the vikes, my skins, the ravens and the thitans.

The jets cowboys lions and falcons are at the bottom. With all the talent the NFC East has WR Jalen Ramsey by many accounts the best player in the draft should have been picked.

Im happy with my skins stuck hard to the board and went BPA. I dont mind so much that a few needs werent hit as long as you get the best football player you can on your team. I forgot what its like to have a real gm running things.

snowden

Man is matter
Jul 5, 2011
It's a fine pick by the Bucs. Kicking cost them a couple games last year and Aguayo looks like the real deal. Plus, he gets air on his kickoffs which would possibly help pin teams back instead of just kicking it out of the end zone. K was a huge need for the Bucs and if they can be stable at that position for 10-15 years, then it was well worth it. Not a bad pick by any means.

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Isn't Janikowski probably the oldest Raider on their roster now? We all made fun of that pick but the dude has definitely lasted.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I still can't believe Hackenberg was drafted where he was.

I can. Coaches have been smitten with his mechanics since high school.

Never mind mechanics don't mean **** if you can't read a defense and constantly over-throw wide open receivers, but he's been overrated every step of the way. A source of constant disappointment for a Penn State fan.

It only takes one team to love you.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I can't express how happy I am with the Giants draft. I'm a HUGE Eli Apple fan. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the slot he was picked in, but it appears he was going to be a Dolphin if we didn't grab him at 10. With that said, this is making me really think about watching some more of his film. I watched a ton of him last year but not close enough to pick apart his game. That report has him, basically, as the best or second best DB in the draft.

Loved the Darian Thompson pick in round 2. Not only does he fill a huge need, but he gives us some very important depth that we just did not have last year at safety.

I was a huge fan of every other pick in the draft (the Sterling Shepard pick is a home run in round 2) other than the Goodson pick in round 4. Although I'm willing to bet I'll be eating crow on Goodson, I just don't like thumper style LBs.

Perkins was a great pick in round 5 and Jerell Adams was a flat out steal in round 6.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
After looking at the draft as a whole I think the Jags hit a grand slam without a doubt the best draft this year. My others in the top 5 the the vikes, my skins, the ravens and the thitans.

The jets cowboys lions and falcons are at the bottom. With all the talent the NFC East has WR Jalen Ramsey by many accounts the best player in the draft should have been picked.

Im happy with my skins stuck hard to the board and went BPA. I dont mind so much that a few needs werent hit as long as you get the best football player you can on your team. I forgot what its like to have a real gm running things.

I love what the Jags did. Just love it.

Skins had an excellent draft, too. The Giants and Skins were head and shoulders above their peers in the NFC East this draft.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, the Jags had a great draft. Got arguably the two best defensive players in the draft with their first two picks.

I don't mind the Cowboys taking the risk with Jaylon Smith and hopefully it all works out for him long-term but I'm still a bit surprised they didn't go with Jack since they're trying to win right now.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
It is arguable since Bosa and Buckner are just as good. The Jaguars may have had a good draft or it could produce nothing. Same goes for all teams. Too early to tell.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It is arguable since Bosa and Buckner are just as good. The Jaguars may have had a good draft or it could produce nothing. Same goes for all teams. Too early to tell.

That's fine, but I feel that the Jags not only hit on the talent but also positional need. Much more than a number of teams (compared to the Cowboys, it's a laugher).

Blueblood9

Dec 11, 2011
Nashville, TN
I can't express how happy I am with the Giants draft. I'm a HUGE Eli Apple fan. I wasn't exactly thrilled with the slot he was picked in, but it appears he was going to be a Dolphin if we didn't grab him at 10. With that said, this is making me really think about watching some more of his film. I watched a ton of him last year but not close enough to pick apart his game. That report has him, basically, as the best or second best DB in the draft.

Loved the Darian Thompson pick in round 2. Not only does he fill a huge need, but he gives us some very important depth that we just did not have last year at safety.

I was a huge fan of every other pick in the draft (the Sterling Shepard pick is a home run in round 2) other than the Goodson pick in round 4. Although I'm willing to bet I'll be eating crow on Goodson, I just don't like thumper style LBs.

Perkins was a great pick in round 5 and Jerell Adams was a flat out steal in round 6.

I liked the Giants draft the shepard pick upset me as a skins fan as I think him with ODB will be a good combo for yrs. I would have put them in that tier at the top if not for a reach on apple. I think he would have been there at 20 ish and Hargreave would have been the better pick.

As for the Cowboys I think with the receivers in the nfl east and the state of thier d ramsey was the better choice there. When you play teams like the skins and giants that can air it out and put up points quick the running game will be moot and putting Romo in a position to throw the ball 35+ times increases the chance of him hurting his weak shoulder as it it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad