Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 92nd Overall - Adam Brooks - C - Regina Pats [5-10/171]

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It helps when you're 3-4 years older than your competition.

Totally. I mean like the CHL is definitely a league for 16 and 17 year olds that Brooks was granted special exemption to play down in. It's not like there are as many 20 year olds in the league as there are 16's, and more 18/19's than 17's, with an average age floating around 19 depending on the year.

Yes he's an overager. Yes that means the bar has to be set higher for him. yes is he smashing it.

Garthinater

Nov 22, 2015
Brooks and steel are a pretty awesome duo. I still think the andersen trade was good but I like steel quite a bit

sda

Feb 18, 2008
Totally. I mean like the CHL is definitely a league for 16 and 17 year olds that Brooks was granted special exemption to play down in. It's not like there are as many 20 year olds in the league as there are 16's, and more 18/19's than 17's, with an average age floating around 19 depending on the year.

Yes he's an overager. Yes that means the bar has to be set higher for him. yes is he smashing it.
There are about 66 20 year olds playing in the dub. as well no team is matching there 16 year olds against Brooks. Still wish that he was in the ahl because he is head and shoulders better than anyone in the WHL

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
There are about 66 20 year olds playing in the dub. as well no team is matching there 16 year olds against Brooks. Still wish that he was in the ahl because he is head and shoulders better than anyone in the WHL

Saves 1 year of ELC and contract space. He'll be up next year when we get rid of a lot of players.

Johny Drama

Jun 7, 2009
Brooks and steel are a pretty awesome duo. I still think the andersen trade was good but I like steel quite a bit

Steel is putting up great numbers, but hard to argue with the trade at the moment.
I wasn't that keen on the trade at the time but can completely see why management wanted to solidify the goaltending this season.

One thing apparent though, Anaheim does a really good job in the draft.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

I think it is optimistic for Steel to ever be more than a 2nd line C in the NHL. We passed on what is most likely a good NHLer for a legit starting goalie, which has been such a relief after the last several seasons.

I 100% understand this trade now, even though I hated it at the time.

StevenB

Oct 7, 2014
North York
If he can even become a middle six forward in the NHL, I'd lover this pick. He looks offensively gifted brought to at least contribute in a top 9 role in the future, how is his defensive game?

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
If he can even become a middle six forward in the NHL, I'd lover this pick. He looks offensively gifted brought to at least contribute in a top 9 role in the future, how is his defensive game?

I would be very happy if he could make the team at all ... only some time in the A will show us who Adam Brooks really is ... and that won't happen till next year. Sadly.

91Stammer*

Feb 11, 2014
Leafland/Richland
I think it is optimistic for Steel to ever be more than a 2nd line C in the NHL. We passed on what is most likely a good NHLer for a legit starting goalie, which has been such a relief after the last several seasons.

I 100% understand this trade now, even though I hated it at the time.

Haha I didn't like the Andersen trade at all and even soured on his play early season when he played like a dumpster. But that's all behind he has proven me wrong, it's good to see our goal tending not being an issue for us anymore.

sda

Feb 18, 2008

Good for junior. his offense is so dominant that he doesn't have to focus on defense because he always has the puck

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Brooks is a regular on the PK. I think he scored a number of shorthanded goals last season. I'l try to verify that.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The lack of recognition of a really good player humours me. Wherever all this ranking by draft round reasoning draws the line under the circumstances is baffling. Adam Brooks is around being the best player in the Chl. Ppg he is likely the best producer in the Chl. This guy is a player and will definitely be a Marlies leader in numerous ways when he gets there. Brooks has only been pointless 6 times in his last 67 regular season games. He has not been pointless in any game this year. Ha its not real though because Management took advantage of a inefficiency in drafting protocol i guess. At very least he is a Brown clone. He is a awesome 4th round pick.

The attempts to minimize his elite multi dimensional play is a sight to behold.
https://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/whl-prospect-watch-draft-b-plan-adam-brooks/

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Another high offence kick at the can, along with timShov and bracc and to a lesser extent dzierkals and Leipsic. We have a lot of cans to kick one of them will probably turn out to be full of gold

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Another high offence kick at the can, along with timShov and bracc and to a lesser extent dzierkals and Leipsic. We have a lot of cans to kick one of them will probably turn out to be full of gold

just a reminder that Leipsic was also a WHL scoring champ and in his draft + 1 year had the same 120 pt total that Brooks had last year. We don't know what Leipsic would have racked up had he played an overage year in junior. What we can say is that he is tied for the scoring lead in the AHL this year.

AlienWorkShop

No, Ben! No!
Oct 30, 2004
I may have missed it being posted earlier, but wasn't there some analysis of the relative effectiveness of drafting players 1-2 years after they were first undrafted if they then showed improvement? I recall some commentators pointing this out and suspecting this was the strategy the Leafs were taking on a few of our picks this past draft. A link would be appreciated if someone remembers!

Given his absolute dominance so far (last year too!), it is a bit odd that Brooks is back in junior, especially as there does appear to be room on the Marlies at C (or even in the ECHL), but perhaps his injury in training camp partially explains it.

I also think the "negative" effects of an overage year are a bit overblown. There's no counterfactual to any of these guys, so any analysis of overager success will always be inferred. He'll potentially be captaining Regina to the Memorial Cup - that part of it doesn't sound like a particularly bad experience, does it?

So much of player development is up to the individual player himself rather than the environment they're put in. Natural talent, drive and commitment, how much they actually love being a professional hockey player (some may be surprised by how many players see it as a grind of a job and not much more)... Whether Brooks becomes an NHLer is largely up to him (and his natural talent level of course too).

MarryMarner

Mar 31, 2008
JVR - Matthews - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Nylander
Leipsic - Brooks - Brown
Soshnikov - Gauthier - Hyman

Rielly - Zaitsev
Nielsen - Gardiner
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
just a reminder that Leipsic was also a WHL scoring champ and in his draft + 1 year had the same 120 pt total that Brooks had last year. We don't know what Leipsic would have racked up had he played an overage year in junior. What we can say is that he is tied for the scoring lead in the AHL this year.

yeah i didnt rank them just said we have a lot high offence players, it would pretty unbeleivable if at least 1 didnt make it as an NHL player

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
JVR - Matthews - Marner
Leipsic - Brooks - Brown

Rielly - Zaitsev
Nielsen - Gardiner
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen

the only way Nylander isnt a C is if we have 3 better C's and Brooks is not going to be a better C than Nylander. Move Kadri to 3c Nylander 2c. More than likely in any case Brooks will be a wing

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
JVR - Matthews - Marner
Leipsic - Brooks - Brown

Rielly - Zaitsev
Nielsen - Gardiner
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen

JVR - Matthews - Marner
Leipsic - Nylander - Kapanen
Brooks - Kadri - Brown

This is more likely out of that group of players. Nylander will be a centre again once Bozak is gone.

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
The person most discouraged by a negative view of Adam Brooks has to be..... Jack Walker~

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad