Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 92nd Overall - Adam Brooks - C - Regina Pats [5-10/171]

LionelRichie

Nov 16, 2016
JVR - Matthews - Marner
Kapanen - Kadri - Nylander
Leipsic - Brooks - Brown
Soshnikov - Gauthier - Hyman

Rielly - Zaitsev
Nielsen - Gardiner
Dermott - Carrick

Andersen

Is this for 2018? I don't see Brooks making the Leafs lineup as early as next season. My 2018-19 lineup would look quite a bit different. I'm also going to add in our potential 1st round pick in the 2017 draft.

Mittelstadt/Strome. Matthews. Marner

Korshkov. Nylander. Bracco

Grundstrom. Kadri. Kapanen

Soshnikov. Hyman. Brown

Both Korshkov's and Grundstrom's contracts in Europe expire in 2018 and with the numbers they put up in tough Pro Leagues at such young ages, there's no reason to think they won't be in the mix for positions on the Leafs in 2018-19. I expect korshkov to make a full recovery from his broken leg.

We will also see what Bracco and Brooke can do next year with the Marlies and see if either 1 can step in the following year for a spot on the Leafs. I went with Bracco over Brooks. I know Babs loves Hyman and he has experience at C and with Sosh and Brown joining him, there's a lot of skill and tenacity for a 4th line to make our team a 4 line threat.

As for Mittelstadt or Strome, depending on where we select, I think both would be good fits with Marner and Matthews

In my opinion we trade Komorov as we have a more skilled type in Grundstrom who can fill his role and JVR and Bozak could also be traded for defensive help as well as prospects and picks to keep the momentum going and further add depth to our system with high end skilled players

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Agreed but...

Is this for 2018? I don't see Brooks making the Leafs lineup as early as next season. My 2018-19 lineup would look quite a bit different. I'm also going to add in our potential 1st round pick in the 2017 draft.

Mittelstadt/Strome. Matthews. Marner

Korshkov. Nylander. Bracco

Grundstrom. Kadri. Kapanen

Soshnikov. Hyman. Brown

Both Korshkov's and Grundstrom's contracts in Europe expire in 2018 and with the numbers they put up in tough Pro Leagues at such young ages, there's no reason to think they won't be in the mix for positions on the Leafs in 2018-19. I expect korshkov to make a full recovery from his broken leg.

We will also see what Bracco and Brooke can do next year with the Marlies and see if either 1 can step in the following year for a spot on the Leafs. I went with Bracco over Brooks. I know Babs loves Hyman and he has experience at C and with Sosh and Brown joining him, there's a lot of skill and tenacity for a 4th line to make our team a 4 line threat.

As for Mittelstadt or Strome, depending on where we select, I think both would be good fits with Marner and Matthews

In my opinion we trade Komorov as we have a more skilled type in Grundstrom who can fill his role and JVR and Bozak could also be traded for defensive help as well as prospects and picks to keep the momentum going and further add depth to our system with high end skilled players

I think we overstate JVR's value within the context of what a team will pay for a guy who is UFA in one year.Also, he has value to us next year as he will most likely have his best year, as they all do, right before payday.I think Brown takes Komorov's spot next year with Kadri and JVR. The Leafs will have eat some contract to get anyone to look at Bozak.

Big Easy

Jan 21, 2014
SW Ontario
Until I see Brooks with the Marlies ill reserve judgment of him. Its great to see him lighting it up, but I'm not overly excited yet. Being 20, in his 5th year of junior.

I mean, I wouldnt be impressed if a 20 year old college kid whose been drinking beer and hitting he gym hard for a couple years walked into a high school cafeteria and kicked the snot outa a bunch of scrawny high school kids.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Until I see Brooks with the Marlies ill reserve judgment of him. Its great to see him lighting it up, but I'm not overly excited yet. Being 20, in his 5th year of junior.

I mean, I wouldnt be impressed if a 20 year old college kid whose been drinking beer and hitting he gym hard for a couple years walked into a high school cafeteria and kicked the snot outa a bunch of scrawny high school kids.

Meh, poor analogy. More like a college junior kicking the snot out of other college juniors, sophomores and freshman with a smattering of the uppermost percentile of over developed high school kids.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
On the topic of players going back for their OA year and it not being a death knell as a prospect- a very comparable case to Brooks is that of Kevin Labanc who should be in the Sharks lineup last night. Left in Barrie rather than starting in the A despite being "too good for the league" last year, comes in this and absolutely rips it up earning a call up over the former 1st rounder Goldobin. Sure it's the early stages of best case, but the precedent is there

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Brooks is in the double edge territory.

On one hand, if he does great in junior he'll get the over-age players should be dominating remarks.

If he does poorly, he'll get the 'wow, what a bust' remarks.

There is only one way to look at this IMO, and that is be happy with his production and see where he is as a player in X amount of years. See how he develops and whether or not he becomes a player or not.

Just off the top of my head, but look at guys like Stalberg or John Mitchell. They aren't great NHL players, but they're still NHL players that didn't start playing until they were 24 years old. Look at how many NHL players get their first cracks as regulars at age 23, you see a few on the Leafs with Hyman, Brown and even Bozak if you look further back(NCAA free agent).

Brooks isn't an NHL player this year, and he won't be one next year either, but who knows where he'll be as a player in 2,3 or 4 years from now.

Be happy with his production, despite his age, and hope he continues to develop.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
That doesn't change anything much. Currently I see the Leafs as being too small and too easy to keep on the outside.

The size doesn't matter but strength and playing with an edge does. Lots of examples of little guys with skill who very difficult to play against. Not saying Brooks is one of them. We'll see.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Brooks is in the double edge territory.

On one hand, if he does great in junior he'll get the over-age players should be dominating remarks.

If he does poorly, he'll get the 'wow, what a bust' remarks.

There is only one way to look at this IMO, and that is be happy with his production and see where he is as a player in X amount of years. See how he develops and whether or not he becomes a player or not.

Just off the top of my head, but look at guys like Stalberg or John Mitchell. They aren't great NHL players, but they're still NHL players that didn't start playing until they were 24 years old. Look at how many NHL players get their first cracks as regulars at age 23, you see a few on the Leafs with Hyman, Brown and even Bozak if you look further back(NCAA free agent).

Brooks isn't an NHL player this year, and he won't be one next year either, but who knows where he'll be as a player in 2,3 or 4 years from now.

Be happy with his production, despite his age, and hope he continues to develop.

This is how I saw it too. Brooks, or any other overager, can't win. They light it up its "well duh, he's a man playing against kids". He doesn't light it up its "waste of a pick".

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
This is how I saw it too. Brooks, or any other overager, can't win. They light it up its "well duh, he's a man playing against kids". He doesn't light it up its "waste of a pick".

Honestly the kid has done everything that he is supposed to do so far, reserving judgement on him until we see him in the AHL.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Why what do you see to put him with Marner? He is a long shot to even make the NHL and what does another scoring winger need to be with Marner for?

Everyone is basicallya longshot until they actually show they are ready after mostly extended periods in the Ahl. Calling him a long shot doesn't in any wat diminish his success or chances in my eyes. I know you are trying to blow him off as insignificant. He is far from chopped liver like you try making him out to be. The Ahl will answer questions as to how good he is and his Nhl chances. Being a overager, previously passed over has little bearing on his future development.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost

I'm in the same boat as you.

Quiksilver*

I'm always right.
Sep 1, 2003

Isn't the average age in the CHL 18+? Most would be done with highschool. Poor analogy.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Brooks is tearing up the WHL..! (he's #1 again, this season)
.. and over *2PPG.. :handclap:

Adam Brooks
2016-17 - Regina Pats - WHL
29 Games... 21 Goals... 42 Assists.... 63 points +30 *2PPG+

EDIT:Here's another side of him, that most don't know about the WHL's elite, leading scorer...
Not afraid to defend himself..

Dominic Schmiemann vs Adam Brooks Dec 9, 2016

Top WHL Scorer: Adam Brooks 2015-16 Goal & Assist Highlights - TML (HD)

Last edited:

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Everyone is basicallya longshot until they actually show they are ready after mostly extended periods in the Ahl. Calling him a long shot doesn't in any wat diminish his success or chances in my eyes. I know you are trying to blow him off as insignificant. He is far from chopped liver like you try making him out to be. The Ahl will answer questions as to how good he is and his Nhl chances. Being a overager, previously passed over has little bearing on his future development.

sure but we currently have more "shorter" long shots on wing, and a 5th? round pick is of course a longer shot than a 1st or 2nd round pick.

A 5th round pick success is making the NHL, but we have people here saying "I don't see how he doesn't play with Marner" talk about cart before the horse.

Until he hits the AHL he is a high scoring junior player who currently is as old as you are allowed to be to still be junior eligible. Until he lights up the AHL he is a longshot. The fact he is with the WHL and not AHL should tell people all they need to know as to whether he is a center or winger, the marlies C depth to start the season was terrible and he still got sent back.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
Personally, I expect all overagers to lead their Junior league in scoring, twice, as well as put up more points than anyone else in a over a decade, and then I'm still not impressed.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Personally, I expect all overagers to lead their Junior league in scoring, twice, as well as put up more points than anyone else in a over a decade, and then I'm still not impressed.

ok you have convinced me ALL 19 and 20 year old leading junior scorers not only make it but make it to 1st line. Brooks has now jumped over all the wingers on the marlies and the rest of the wingers in our system due to being 2ppg as a 20 yr old.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
ok you have convinced me ALL 19 and 20 year old leading junior scorers not only make it but make it to 1st line. Brooks has now jumped over all the wingers on the marlies and the rest of the wingers in our system due to being 2ppg as a 20 yr old.

Lol wut?

I didn't say anything about him becoming anything. My sarcasm was just pointing out how silly it is to dismiss his success.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Is there a reason to think that Brooks has absolutely no chance of being a good NHL'er though?

The nice thing is, he doesn't replace anyone in our system, he gets added to them to make a stronger system that could yield more NHL talent. Internal prospect rankings are really just a way for us to frame the system and entertain ourselves as fans, it doesn't matter if we put Kapanen above Bracco or Brooks above Grundstrom - what they do with their opportunities will determine who sticks.

Brooks' numbers are pretty prodigious for a junior year, would be the highest mark in more than 20 years in the WHL if he continued it for 70+ games. That's nothing but a good indicator, it's not an assurance of anything, but having that good indicator improves his odds of panning out. Another good indicator at the next level would further improve those odds, where a poor AHL season would hurt them...so I don't understand the dislike, why not just be happy that he's doing well and hope that he continues that in his first pro season next year?

Centre and LW are also softer positions in our system than RW, having some contingency plans there won't hurt us

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad