Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 92nd Overall - Adam Brooks - C - Regina Pats [5-10/171]

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Pearson and Palat were never overagers.

But good call on Tyler Johnson. That gives some hope.

Tanner Pearson was selected by the LA Kings 30th overall in his 3rd year of draft eligibility.

Ondrej Palat was drafted after his 2nd year of eligibility 208th overall.

Brooks was taken in his 3rd year of draft eligibility

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Tanner Pearson was selected by the LA Kings 30th overall in his 3rd year of draft eligibility.

Palat and Pearson were both good AHLers at 20.

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
Maybe the goal isn't just to make the Leafs better, but the whole organisation as well. If the young guys all get stripped from the Marlies, it falters. Use picks that might have an outside chance to make the NHL, but a sure chance they'll keep the Marlies stocked and successful.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Palat and Pearson were both good AHLers at 20.

Did either of those AHL teams have the depth the Marlies do now?

Sometimes having to send a kid back to junior is a good thing.

Having some vets like Laich and Michalek around players like Kapanen and Leipsic is a good thing even though it doesn't leave room for players like Bracco or Brooks.

The key thing at the end of it all is making sure everyone is getting time to develop and improve.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Maybe the goal isn't just to make the Leafs better, but the whole organisation as well. If the young guys all get stripped from the Marlies, it falters. Use picks that might have an outside chance to make the NHL, but a sure chance they'll keep the Marlies stocked and successful.

And a big part of this is so that over time the NHL improvements we need can come from moving Marlies who are on the verge of needing NHL opportunity.

It takes many years of drafting and developing to get to that point which is why we're still in a bit of a transition due to the amount of salary our organization can handle and our ability to bury big money in the AHL to give the Connor Brown's the chance they need to play in the NHL.

Once Bracco, Brooks, and others move up to take the place of the Laich's and Greening's and Michalek we're going to become the envy of the NHL in terms of youth depth.

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
Its a gamble but my point is that by using a pick on an overager you expect to have him become something more then drafting an 18 year old and having him bust down the road.

I like Brooks and hope he works out and get to watch him in the WHL out West here and he is a good Junior player but not sure how much of an NHL future he might have.

Him being sent back the WHL as a 20 year old instead of playing on the Marlies does send up a Red Flag on his potential as he is now one of the oldest players in the WHL this year after leading the league in scoring last year and in his 5th junior season.

I don't see the red flag at all. I see a team at the 50 contract max doing some juggling.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Was Connor Brown not an overager?

No Brown wasn't an overager. His last junior year he was normal age, then turned 20 and played in the AHL

Brouwer, Callahan, Giordano, Wideman. It's rare but it does happen. In any case I wouldn't be in a hurry applying "rules of thumb" based on the Leafs prospect personnel decisions right now.

That rule of thumb is based on the assumption that if a player is playing their overage year in junior they weren't Pro calibre, not taking into account a massively stocked system and a hitch in the rules that that makes them ineligible for the slide rule. I think along with his injury his being in ht dub instead of the A has a lot to due with delaying his ELC and getting 4 years of development from him.

Canada4Gold has a better handle on this part of the CBA than me but I believe being drafted out of his U20 if we had've signed him to his elc it would have burned a year because he would have been too old at the time of signing.

Of course, if they really wanted him with the Marlies without burning a year he could be on an AHL only deal, but I think playing time was a major concern. We're too deep right now, it's starting the canibilization too early

Had he signed and played in the AHL he would have started his ELC since he's 20 and in his 3rd post draft year(passed over twice). Doesn't really have anything to do with timing and age like the cases of Timashov/Nielsen/Dermott which I assume you're referring to. Brooks initial draft class was a full year ahead of those guys and anyone his age under contract wouldn't be sliding.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

they were all drafted in their 2nd or 3rd year of eligibility yes so they were drafted as "draft overagers", that's not what zeke was referring to, he's talking about chl overagers, guys who are not junior age but playing in the CHL. Pearson and Palat did not play in the CHL as overagers. That's what Brooks is currently doing.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
they were all drafted in their 2nd or 3rd year of eligibility yes so they were drafted as "draft overagers", that's not what zeke was referring to, he's talking about chl overagers, guys who are not junior age but playing in the CHL. Pearson and Palat did not play in the CHL as overagers. That's what Brooks is currently doing.

All the previous posts on that page are referring to draft overagers. I suppose it is possible he just went off on his own tangent for no real reason.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
All the previous posts on that page are referring to draft overagers. I suppose it is possible he just went off on his own tangent for no real reason.

much of the prior conversation was much about how he's back in the OHL for his overage year and not in the AHL where many expect he would be. There's been plenty of drafting overagers talk as well so maybe I mis-understood but that's what it seemed like to me.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
If you draft a 5-7" 18 year old draft eligible Connor Brown in the 6th round 156th overall coming off a 53 point season and 2 years later he is leading the OHL in scoring with 128 points and now a productive NHLer that is good drafting and scouting.

If you draft a 20 year old Adams Brooks in the 4th round when he has just put up 120 points and leads the WHL in scoring then anyone on this board could make that pick simply based on drafting BPA by ranking current CHL scoring leaders.

Many teams prefer to sign these overagers as "free wallets" that have been passed over in previous drafts and not use draft picks on them preferring to invest selections into 1st time eligible.

If you do use a valuable draft pick on an overager he better amount to something to validate the use of drafting verses UFA signing him and drafting others that can't be signed but need to be drafting to obtain their rights.

That also factors into the asset management discussion because you could potentially have both in your prospect pool. ;)

Brooks was drafted because his game went out of the park as a leader and leading scorer. I believe he got the chance because of his work ethic and determination and leadership. If he was better defensively he might have gone a while earlier. So that said, the reason he is in the Whl is to develop his defensive game another year in a neutral environment. It was a proper move to send him back to a elite team offering top playing minutes. Its a safe play sending him to Regina. He might even end up in the Memorial cup to end his junior career. Thats what i expect too.

He has scored points in every game so far. It is worth watching how long this streak goes for him. He drives the offense on a elite team so this could get interesting. And mess, you really aren't in position of strength when listing height and light weights as a indicator of red flags. :D

Last edited:

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Any team with large heavy defense this year. LA comes to mind, Montreal, Tampa Bay.

Still isn't true though. Price was the difference in the Montreal games, Stamkos burned us against Tampa, and the effort was just crap against LA with our goalies getting lit up. We were not out-hit in any of those games and the physicality wasn't the reason we lost.

Rick74*

Oct 7, 2016
London, Ont
montreal?

price beat us both times.

Most of our shots were from the outside and their defence collapses in very well. Very little was offered up in the slot in both games.

That's how they win.

Stellar defense, stellar goaltending.

Marmoset

Apr 4, 2015
GTA
I really don't understand all of this talk about how the Leafs should not draft over-age players. Is the objective to draft the best 18-year-old talent, or to draft the best talent? Sometimes players are not drafted initially but they improve and do enough to get to the point where they should be drafted. It's also not like they used a first-round pick on an over-age player. A 4th-round pick is a longshot to have a significant career no matter how old he is when he is drafted.

What matters is how good he is and how good he can become. Just think, we could still be using 3rd-round picks on the Jamie Devanes of this world.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Most of our shots were from the outside and their defence collapses in very well. Very little was offered up in the slot in both games.

That's how they win.

Stellar defense, stellar goaltending.

well that's just good play not bullying. Im not even sure LA bullied our team but that is the only game you could even remotely make that argument

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
5 points for him tonight

Only 2 players since 2000 have had 2ppg... regina currently has 2 :p

notdoneyet

Jun 19, 2006
Saint John,N.B.
I love how mess puts a spin on a "valuable" 4th round pick

Any fourth round pick has not much of a chance to be successful in the NHL
I think this is a great pick in the fourth round.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad