Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 92nd Overall - Adam Brooks - C - Regina Pats [5-10/171]

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Seems like he's learning a lot from Spezza and Thornton, and is gelling well with them.

A lot of like out of this guy if he keeps it up.

A lot of his maturity comes from the fact he's already 3 -4 years older than a lot of our rookies. He was drafted an overager and played few years in AHL already

I keep thinking he's 19 0r 20............ He's turning 25 this week

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The Leafs value his leadership, and Nash is one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

Meh, I don't think he is that good. Brooks can provide a little depth offence and he is not a liability defensively. We are pretty good defensively without Nash. He is not a must have in the lineup. We have plenty of leadership also. I'd be disappointed if he is in the lineup automatically instead of Brooks.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Nash , number 1a reason to get him was his cap relief on LTIR so they could afford Foligno.

1b was playoff experienced forward depth.

If Brooks is playing like this by the last game still, they should let him start a playoff game. Thornton’s recent elevation in play can be linked somewhat to Brooks and his speed and smarts on that line. Spezza was having a great season anyway, Brooks just was the right mix to get Jumbo going too I believe.

Cap'n Flavour

Mar 8, 2004
Flavour Country
Nash , number 1a reason to get him was his cap relief on LTIR so they could afford Foligno.

This was covered over and over again - Nash did not provide any cap relief. He was a cap neutral acquisition and they got him exclusively to play in the playoffs. The room for Foligno came from Andersen's LTIR.

Anyway, as long as Brooks is contributing I expect he'll stay in the lineup and Nash will get plenty of practice time, maybe coming in if the PK struggles.

justashadowof

Aug 15, 2020
To be fair there are media mouthpieces who are gainfully employed by major media corporations and spread this misinformation regarding the cap. It's the natural default position to assume someone who disseminates information for a living isn't talking out of their rear end. Take it as a lesson to take everything with a grain of salt you hear uttered from the mouths of the fancy men and women of media.

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Old thread, there are many posts on the first pages from people whose names I haven't read in a long time. Kind of sad.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
If Brooks and his line are still rollin' come playoff time then breaking it up would be beyond stupid IMO. Save Nash for when 1) an injury opens up a roster spot
2) someone starts slacking or
3) an older player needs a rest on a back to back.
Other then that, leave him be.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
If Brooks and his line are still rollin' come playoff time then breaking it up would be beyond stupid IMO. Save Nash for when 1) an injury opens up a roster spot
2) someone starts slacking or
3) an older player needs a rest on a back to back.
Other then that, leave him be.

The time to make changes is when you are rolling, you don't make change from a position of need or weakness. you need to know what you have so you can throw out different line combinations that make it harder for the opposing team to line match.

At any rate Hyman, Foligno are coming back, doubtful that Brooks remains in the lineup. Keefe will stay loyal to grandpa Simpson and give him a roster spot over a Rook.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Well most people here didn’t grow up reading and speaking anglo-saxon english so I can see how even small typos in our modern dialect could leave you confused.
Sportsnet:
This was one of a number of deadline deals that look win-win, as the Blue Jackets got something for a guy they were gonna pay to get nothing back from for the rest of the season. For the Leafs, Nash was a perfectly-shaped puzzle piece for the picture they’re building, allowing them to get deeper into LTIR while likely being healthy when they need him, and able to fill a roster hole (defensive centre depth) when he does return.

Hockey News/Sports Illustrated
Maple Leafs acquire Riley Nash, Increase Cap Space Ahead of NHL Trade Deadline
In acquiring injured forward Riley Nash from the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Toronto Maple Leafs extended their cap space at the deadline while adding a depth forward who can play for them in the playoffs.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Sportsnet:
This was one of a number of deadline deals that look win-win, as the Blue Jackets got something for a guy they were gonna pay to get nothing back from for the rest of the season. For the Leafs, Nash was a perfectly-shaped puzzle piece for the picture they’re building, allowing them to get deeper into LTIR while likely being healthy when they need him, and able to fill a roster hole (defensive centre depth) when he does return.

Hockey News/Sports Illustrated
Maple Leafs acquire Riley Nash, Increase Cap Space Ahead of NHL Trade Deadline
In acquiring injured forward Riley Nash from the Columbus Blue Jackets, the Toronto Maple Leafs extended their cap space at the deadline while adding a depth forward who can play for them in the playoffs.

I’m not saying media is any better at breaking down cap issues. But Nash was acquired to play in the playoffs. Leafs had lots of other options to maximize their ACSL, and Nash’s cap relief is certainly not fitting Foligno. Nash’s LTIR cap relief fits Nash.

Now you know!

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I like Brooks play on that line. I know nothing about Nash
I still think Brooks has more to give and shown to be a bit more engaged than others ( say Mikaheyev or Engvall)

If Hyman and Foligno comes back, that should provide sufficient amount of physicality and forecheck

Also, 4th line time should be limited anyways. We should role with 3 lines wherever we can and much as we can

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad