Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 92nd Overall - Adam Brooks - C - Regina Pats [5-10/171]

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Jake is soft as puddy.Wait till we see Jake in a play off round. We will see than what type of a d man he really is. If I see him jump out of the way, to avoid a check one more time....

Real nhl defenceman don't do that, only scared players, who are afraid to get hit

I think this is the kind of thinking that landed us Mike Komisarek in free agency and Luke Schenn with a top 5 draft pick

Gardiner has a substantially positive effect on the balance of shots and scoring chances for the Leafs, those are the things that help out score the opponent, outscoring the opponent wins hockey games

He's not perfect, but he helps to win games

AustonMarner*

Dec 26, 2016
Toronto
I think this is the kind of thinking that landed us Mike Komisarek in free agency and Luke Schenn with a top 5 draft pick

Gardiner has a substantially positive effect on the balance of shots and scoring chances for the Leafs, those are the things that help out score the opponent, outscoring the opponent wins hockey games

He's not perfect, but he helps to win games

The thing is Babcock's system is different than what you describe this player to be. You need to consider our own farm system and take a look at Nielsen once. Guy is absolutely beast. Though I have to agree that Gardiner was great in playoffs but the fact still remains that he is soft as F.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks man....I bet this one was a little easier to put together than Gauthier/Middleton

I do player montages for lots of players.. Not just the stars & fan favorites.., because I feel every player should be equally appreciated for the unique talents they bring to the team.. So to answer your comment...., I enjoy making all of these..:)

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I do player montages for lots of players.. Not just the stars & fan favorites.., because I feel every player should be equally appreciated for the unique talents they bring to the team.. So to answer your comment...., I enjoy making all of these..:)

Haha very PC of you...I just meant I bet there was a lot more highlight footage to choose from given all the scoring

I guess maybe that takes the fun out of the hunt though

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Thanks man....I bet this one was a little easier to put together than Gauthier/Middleton

Haha very PC of you...I just meant I bet there was a lot more highlight footage to choose from given all the scoring

I guess maybe that takes the fun out of the hunt though

PC..? :amazed: You know that part in that X-mas movie, where the kid (Ralph) gets the soap in the mouth.., by his Mom..? :laugh:

Sometimes it's nice not to have to hunt so much.. You're right there..

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
PC..? :amazed: You know that part in that X-mas movie, where the kid (Ralph) gets the soap in the mouth.., by his Mom..? :laugh:

Sometimes it's nice not to have to hunt so much.. You're right there..

I meant Politically Correct....my profanity vocabulary must be smaller than yours, I'm still trying to figure out what swear words match up

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Jake is soft as puddy.Wait till we see Jake in a play off round. We will see than what type of a d man he really is. If I see him jump out of the way, to avoid a check one more time....

Real nhl defenceman don't do that, only scared players, who are afraid to get hit

Plenty of good nhl D look back and avoid contact. It's as part of the game as taking a check is. The D who constantly take punishment wear down quicker. I'm not making excuses for Gardiner here I just can't blame a guy who doesn't wanna get crushed by Tom Wilson or Zach Kassian.

Mitch nylander

One of the biggest fans from a bipolar fanbase
Jun 2, 2016
Wow has he been a breath of fresh air to line 4. I don’t see how he comes out of the lineup.

His work ethic is immaculate, and his hockey sense is fantastic.

sIDEsHOW93

Apr 29, 2015
Canada
The kid has done nothing but be impressive in every situation and excelled with every opportunity given. Seems to really be soaking up a lot of lessons from the vets as well. Hope he can keep it up!

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
41gl/51pt pace in 8gms this year.

22gl/44pt pace in 15gms career.

And not exactly getting prime scoring minutes.

Keep it going, kid.

Reactions: Rocker13 and Jeypic

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Pretty exciting to have a guy come out of the woodwork like this. Seemed like he was destined to be a low end tweener, good for a few games every year. But it seems like the switch flicked on and now he's outright stolen Engvall's job. He plays with a lot of skill and the chemistry with Thornton and Spezza is real, making the fourth line a credible threat every time it's on the ice. I can only imagine how exciting it is for him, and how good it is for his growth as a player, to be sitting between those two legends on the bench. I'm sure he's absorbing it like a sponge, what a terrific scenario for a young player.

The kid has done nothing but be impressive in every situation and excelled with every opportunity given.

The crazy thing to me is that he didn't really, at least not at the NHL level. He had a cup of coffee last year and one game in January this year. He played okay and got a few points but didn't play well enough to stick in the lineup. He looked completely bland and nothing better than a 14th forward. The guy that we're watching now is almost unrecognizable and he's pretty much stolen a job. Kudos to Dubas and Keefe for continuing to give the guy opportunities, but the biggest definitely go to Brooks for taking his game to the next level.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Pretty exciting to have a guy come out of the woodwork like this. Seemed like he was destined to be a low end tweener, good for a few games every year. But it seems like the switch flicked on and now he's outright stolen Engvall's job. He plays with a lot of skill and the chemistry with Thornton and Spezza is real, making the fourth line a credible threat every time it's on the ice. I can only imagine how exciting it is for him, and how good it is for his growth as a player, to be sitting between those two legends on the bench. I'm sure he's absorbing it like a sponge, what a terrific scenario for a young player.

The crazy thing to me is that he didn't really, at least not at the NHL level. He had a cup of coffee last year and one game in January this year. He played okay and got a few points but didn't play well enough to stick in the lineup. He looked completely bland and nothing better than a 14th forward. The guy that we're watching now is almost unrecognizable and he's pretty much stolen a job. Kudos to Dubas and Keefe for continuing to give the guy opportunities, but the biggest definitely go to Brooks for taking his game to the next level.

I thought he showed well last year too tbh. Consistently making the little plays to keep the pucknmoving in the right direction.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Wow has he been a breath of fresh air to line 4. I don’t see how he comes out of the lineup.

His work ethic is immaculate, and his hockey sense is fantastic.

I don't see the room for him, though he's played really well. Hyman and Nash are coming in, so 2 need to come out. From what's been reported, aren't scratching Simmonds/Thornton/Spezza, so that leaves Galchenyuk and Brooks.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I thought he showed well last year too tbh. Consistently making the little plays to keep the pucknmoving in the right direction.
Sure, I remember thinking he was fine and made some nice plays here and there. But there's still a night and day difference between now and then. Last year he proved that maybe he could hang on an NHL 4th line. Now we're looking at him like we might have a real nice player on our hands. Not really any doubt in my mind that he's a better player today than he was before. He's driving offense out there in addition to those little plays.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Brooksy (like Moore before him) making me look smart for defending him when consensus was non-prospect/tweener.

It's seems like clockwork that year after year we see a midround pick or similarly unheralded prospect blossom into a star at the AHL level after being written off as too old, crack the leafs line up late in the season, then emerge as a top nine player the next season. Who is up next, Joey Anderson, with Steeves following up? Maybe Holmberg?

Last edited:

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Sure, I remember thinking he was fine and made some nice plays here and there. But there's still a night and day difference between now and then. Last year he proved that maybe he could hang on an NHL 4th line. Now we're looking at him like we might have a real nice player on our hands. Not really any doubt in my mind that he's a better player today than he was before. He's driving offense out there in addition to those little plays.

Don't think there's a huge difference tbh.

Probably the biggest difference is linemate quality.

CupcakeSprinkles

Apr 11, 2021
I don't see the room for him, though he's played really well. Hyman and Nash are coming in, so 2 need to come out. From what's been reported, aren't scratching Simmonds/Thornton/Spezza, so that leaves Galchenyuk and Brooks.

I can see Spezza/Nash/Brooks rotating depending on match-ups at 4C.

I can see Mikheyev/Simmonds rotating depending on if we slot Spezza at 4C or 4RW.

Foligno-Matthews-Marner
Galchenyuk-Tavares-Nylander
Hyman-Kerfoot-Simmonds/Mikheyev
Thornton-Nash/Spezza/Brooks-Spezza/Mikheyev/Simmonds

I don't really see a scenario where Spezza/Thornton are scratched. I have a hard time seeing Galchenyuk come out of the top 6 slot based on his play with Matthews/Marner & Tavares/Nylander. Personally I think Mikheyev has played great on the third line, but he hasn't jived with our top 6. Unless he goes on a scoring tear in the playoffs I think he's a likely guy to rotate in/out with Simmonds possibly maintenance days for Spezza/Thornton.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I don't see why Nash has to come in. Give your guy who is homegrown a chance. His line is working really well.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Don't think there's a huge difference tbh.

Probably the biggest difference is linemate quality.
If he was this good he'd have stolen one of those crappy linemate's jobs. He might not have been on the playoff roster ahead of Engvall (who was way better last year) and Clifford, but the Brooks playing on our fourth line right now would have kicked Gauthier and Timashov to the curb.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
I think Nash is the one who has to be held on the sidelines and give Brooks the runway to continue to contribute.

Friedge said when the Leafs acquired Nash that they want him to play, and they value his experience. I could be wrong but highly doubt a good stretch from Brooks changes anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->