Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 1st Overall - Auston Matthews - Centre - ZSC Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The one fault in this narrative of Lou Lamiorello being the lone impetus behind MLSE's toughening up in contract negotiations, player coddling and team policies is that the Leafs hard-balled last summer long before Lou came on board. Re-visit the speech by Shanahan following the 2014-15 debacle. And the hiring of Brandon Pridham in the fall of 2014. And the hirings of Babcock and Keefe in the spring of 2015.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
He can't sign with the Yotes, but could sign in Europe or with the new KHL team in Asia.

:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Oh, I'm not losing sleep over this.

It is quite possible for some people to discuss scenarios without getting all emotional.

Grey exists.

I believe there's 50 shades of grey. Maybe we can discuss that?

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Great post, Mess..!

Another thing I want to point out, is the "yearly" "SUMMER SLING" of gossip and controversy
planted into so many people's heads.., by the Media..

I mean really, now..

Do some of you guys not see the ever-repeating pattern of this..? Every off-season numerous rumors get sent around, because there are no live games happening and press people are striving to get attention for their work..

Some do it honestly.., while others will say anything, if it means advancing.. Same goes with Players Agents...

I was in the music part of the entertainment business, when I was younger.. More often than not, it is the "agents" (not the client) who are demanding more money.., because this means that their commissions are that much higher... AND.. it attracts more attention from future prospective clients..

Look at this just as a sport if you want to.., but really.., this is part of the "Entertainment Business"... If you want to see pure-sports, watch the Olympics.. Most of those people are doing it "just for their love of the game(s)"..

The agents want to get the best deal for their clients (and themselves)... Lou's job, is to get the best deal for the team... (and the franchise and share-holders who stand around him).. The Media's job.., is to to keep us entertained (and hopefully informed)...

Patience... and not buying into everything that is put out there by the Media.., is (imo) ...what a lot of Toronto fans need to work on...

In the old days in the music business..., we used to laugh at it all.. and many would say... "Well... any Press, is good Press..".., because any press would get people talking about you...

Evident in these forums..? :)

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/there-is-no-such-thing-as-bad-publicity.html
The proverbial expression began to be used in the early 20th century. The earliest version that I have found in print is from the US newspaper The Atlanta Constitution, January, 1915:

All publicity is good if it is intelligent.

The thought behind the proverb had been expressed earlier by Oscar Wilde:

The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about.

It's middle of summer ...

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So you want him to miss training camp, where he can learn the system before it counts, to spite fellow fans who are concerned with what should be a non issue?

He's already missing camp. He's at the world cup. NHL camps run concurrently with world cup nonsense.
even if he wasn't - you can still go to camp - and learn the systems, and not have a contract signed.

That's the hope. However Shanny has also said he doesn't want to over step his role, and will let Lou manage the team as he is the GM. If everytime Lou did something Shanny wouldn't have, and he made a remark, Shanny might as well be the GM So why would he step in here? Unless it's to the point where Austin is considering heading over seas, in which case the damage is done.

and Lou flat out said - Shanahan has veto power.
which means. he could veto.

and you mean - like how apparently Crosby was contemplating going to europe, but here he is in the NHL with the same team all these years later? Okay.

Further more, Lou feels comfortable handing out a 5x5 contract to an unproven goalie to us, but won't hand out bonus'?

you don't know that. that's a huge cup of assume and you know what that makes you.

Lou doesn't like them. he's stated why. the two times he had to deal with it - were documented reasons. 1: he was trying to save money on Larsson - to secure Parise. the 2nd was with Marner for reasons i can't get into. that's it. He never flat out stated he'll never give them out. There were reasons why he didn't.

Different. I believe that year the draft wasn't until the end of July, and the league was just coming out of a lockout.

Okay. What about Ekblad. Franchise defenseman. he didn't sign until September either.
or Stamkos. Didn't sign until the end of July.

it's like. you know. players just sign whenever. and there's really no glitch.

Again, Matthews isn't a Nylander, Marner, Rielly, etc. He's the face of our franchise. There is nothing more important than getting him locked up to us right now.

Patrick Kane. - the face of the Franchise (or one of them). signed his ELC in late July.

I don't think it's fair to Marner (or Rielly) to simply kick them aside because we have Matthews. Im not diminishing the fact that Matthews is going to be a big part of what you think of when you think of the Leafs, but there is zero reason to believe that Marner won't be either. or Rielly. Chicago. {again} is identified by the 3 big players - Towes Kane. Keith.

he will get signed. I truly. do not understand and get this rush why it needs to be done RIGHT NOW. especially when people have stated other first overalls have signed during various dates of the summer.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
:handclap: Should start a petition to change the Team name to the Toronto Eeyores.

I din't read the link but were there any direct quotes from Lou Lam or just the same unwarranted speculation?

....the sticking point apparently over performance bonuses that GM Lou Lamoriello has historically avoided in his time as an NHL executive.

....It is believed Matthews is asking for......

....It’s believed the Leafs — and Lamoriello, specifically — are balking......

.....The KHL is likely lurking....

Clearly the writer knows exactly what is going on, and isn't speculating in the least. I think we should all be very concerned based on this piece.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
It's middle of summer ...

Not sure if you are agreeing with me, or taking my post offensively.., Ulf..?

All my point really is, is to not get all wound up about something
until the facts are clear.. That's how some people get high-blood pressure..

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Playing in the World Cup may trigger bonuses in an ELC that are given out by the league.

Smarter to sign him after the event and save some future cap space.

:sarcasm::sarcasm:

rrc1967

Jan 9, 2014
Houston Texas
Is it more smoke, or is it the same smoke being repeated.

I'm pretty sure Shanahan would rather fire Lamoriello on the spot, than allow things to go sour with Matthews.

Besides, Lou said like last week that both sides were talking and he didn't see it taking too long to finish up.

how hard is it really to do this deal?

Matthews: "I want ELC max.."

Leafs: "okay."

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Not sure if you are agreeing with me, or taking my post offensively.., Ulf..?

All my point really is, is to not get all wound up about something
until the facts are clear.. That's how some people get high-blood pressure..

I'm agreeing with you.

Is there anything about the Leafs to discuss? Cameranesi signing an AHL contract?

Heck, there are posters here making a big deal about this on both sides of the discussion.

So if there are posters here, making comments they are here making comments.

If they didn't care you wouldn't find their comments. :naughty:

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
He'll get signed, people. Start freaking out if the World Cup is happening and he's still not signed. Remember, Ekblad didn't sign with the Panthers until September 7. Things sometimes don't happen instantaneously.

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
I'm agreeing with you. :thumbu:

Is there anything about the Leafs to discuss? Cameranesi signing an AHL contract? :jump:

Heck, there are posters here making a big deal about this on both sides of the discussion. :cheers: :cf: :pillow:

So if there are posters here, making comments they are here making comments. :monkey: Meta-physical.. :)

If they didn't care you wouldn't find their comments. :naughty:

:m-dance: :) Thanks for clarifying... I thought I might be getting pointed out for plagiarism‎, of something.. :sarcasm: :laugh:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
I don't see the problem with a Bonus for goals scored, unless it's ridiculously high, or ridiculously low, depending on the side of the contract fence your on?

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
You and others are exactly who this bloody media targets with these asinine articles. They could come out with something like "Marner prefers Marvel, Nylander DC. RIFT IN THE LOCKERROOM?" and you'd eat it up.

:biglaugh:

oh my god. i'm dead. I am so dead i am laughing so hard.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
how hard is it really to do this deal?

Matthews: "I want ELC max.."

Leafs: "okay."

Harder than you think, I guess?

I would guess that he needs his immigration paperwork done in order to sign and receive the signing bonus.

They need to decide exactly which criteria the bonus money is attached to. It's not as simple as "give me the max", you have to divide the money amongst the specific incentives. This should be easy, but it's still work.

They'd likely want him to sign in person and do the press stuff, so that means waiting until next time he comes up to Toronto.

There are probably agreements beyond the hockey ELC to work out relating to marketing, medical, training, etc.

They could probably get it all done in a week if they had to, but why rush it when they have three months?

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Ironically enough part of previous regime's failures were poor contract negotiations giving into players demands easily, which not only handcuffed the team cap wise/movement wise but also created a culture of sense of entitlement.

And yet you want Lou Lam to just give Matthews everything...

This in inapplicable here. THERE IS NO NEGOTIATION NEEDED!!! How does giving our franchise player what every other one gets, somehow = to giving into players demands?

This is just as ridiculous as us saying what we are saying (if it doesn't turn out to be true).

These same posters would be giving him 8/88 in 2 years time rather then attempt to settle on a bridge deal.

People are so scared of negotiations...mainly because they don't understand them.

Why don't you go ask Montreal how giving their franchise player a bridge deal went? Your comment is ignorant yet you claim others are ignorant for not agreeing with you.

Check out the last few franchise level players. They all get deals like this off their ELC.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Jesus Christ are you serious? That'd actually be your next emotional state during this saga? :shakehead

I'm so sick of posting the list, so I'll just sum up, since 2007, 5 1st overall picks (5/9, more than 50%) have signed between mid-July and September. Leafs 1st rounders usually sign their ELC's late, between late-July to August.

You and others are raging based on speculation from someone with no sources actually connected to the talks, and based on something Lou said once upon a time in New Jersey. All your post tells me is you won't be happy no matter the outcome.

You and others are exactly who this bloody media targets with these asinine articles. They could come out with something like "Marner prefers Marvel, Nylander DC. RIFT IN THE LOCKERROOM?" and you'd eat it up.

Two things on this.

1. You mean like how this board was roasting Kessel alive while a small part of us (Me included..) Defended him until his last day? Turns out.. He wasn't so bad...

2. I wouldn't care. It would be a concern if there were actual rumors two core members didn't get along, as it means one most likely gets moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad