Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 1st Overall - Auston Matthews - Centre - ZSC Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Covenant

Jun 4, 2006
I'm not certain why Matthews isn't signed yet and other top picks in this year's draft have been. If there is any bickering over bonuses than that's too bad. You want to set a good example with this player and leave no bad taste in his mouth. At some point he will be a UFA and the lure of playing at home in Arizona will surely be there.

Also a player like Vesey who I'm certain the Leafs want a shot at will be watching this situation closely. He will no doubt want a bonus laden contract. If there's any inkling that this won't be available from the Leafs they can quickly kiss him goodbye.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Uh, you clearly don't know this team and town very well, do you?

It's starting to get into lose-lose territory. Which ever sides "wins", it will mean the other side will be mad or angry at their contract/situation and they will want to bail on the player/team/management ASAP.

100%. Both arguments ending up at the same place.

Lou signs him to the max:

"Why didn't he do that WEEKS AGO!!! Now Matthews might just leave us as a UFA in 7 years!"

Lou signs him to a deal that doesn't include all A,B,C bonuses:

"Don't they realize they're going to piss off Matthews and now he might just leave as a UFA in 7 years!?!?!?!"

Welcome to Leafs Nation. The sky is always falling.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Do fans of other franchises have to deal with stories like this? Or fans of teams in different sports?

Serious question

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I'm not certain why Matthews isn't signed yet and other top picks in this year's draft have been. If there is any bickering over bonuses than that's too bad. You want to set a good example with this player and leave no bad taste in his mouth. At some point he will be a UFA and the lure of playing at home in Arizona will surely be there.

Also a player like Vesey who I'm certain the Leafs want a shot at will be watching this situation closely. He will no doubt want a bonus laden contract. If there's any inkling that this won't be available from the Leafs they can quickly kiss him goodbye.

Setting an organization standard for all future draft picks goes well beyond any 1 player.

The lure of Arizona is nothing a Toronto Maple Leafs fan should concern themselves with. No guarantee there's even a team there in 6 or 7 years....

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Well.....we are starting to see whos susceptible to click bait articles around here.

Theres literally NOTHING to worry about right now. Some here think there is some kind of recessive gene management inherits when they join the Leafs.

Have we had bad management the last decade? Yes
Does that mean the current team which is completely new is bad? If you think they are tied together somehow, the problem is not with what you think but how you think. Give yer head a shake and focus on something else.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
100%. Both arguments ending up at the same place.

Lou signs him to the max:

"Why didn't he do that WEEKS AGO!!! Now Matthews might just leave us as a UFA in 7 years!"

Lou signs him to a deal that doesn't include all A,B,C bonuses:

"Don't they realize they're going to piss off Matthews and now he might just leave as a UFA in 7 years!?!?!?!"

Welcome to Leafs Nation. The sky is always falling.

You get used to that after trusting previous management. Also if option B happens, that is a very valid argument.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
That's fine. However those of us who don't fully trust the leafs after years of mismanagement will still ask "What took so long for such an easy thing?".

Jesus Christ are you serious? That'd actually be your next emotional state during this saga? :shakehead

I'm so sick of posting the list, so I'll just sum up, since 2007, 5 1st overall picks (5/9, more than 50%) have signed between mid-July and September. Leafs 1st rounders usually sign their ELC's late, between late-July to August.

You and others are raging based on speculation from someone with no sources actually connected to the talks, and based on something Lou said once upon a time in New Jersey. All your post tells me is you won't be happy no matter the outcome.

You and others are exactly who this bloody media targets with these asinine articles. They could come out with something like "Marner prefers Marvel, Nylander DC. RIFT IN THE LOCKERROOM?" and you'd eat it up.

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Im starting to get worried about Lou messing with the bonus, but then remember the quote by Shanahan which calms me lol

Sorry if posted before:

Brendan Shanahan, July 7, 2016:
"They should not be worried at all. I’d like to think — we haven’t been here a long time — but I can promise our fans that our management group didn’t get stupid in two weeks. We will take care of it. We understand what we have in Auston Matthews. Auston Matthews will be there in camp and we’re excited to have him. It will all get taken care of. We are not a group that likes to give a heads up as to what we’re doing and what we’re thinking. I’m sure there will be people wondering about it the day it ends up getting announced. I would just say that people can trust this group. Lou Lamoriello has been at this a long time. One thing he said when he came here – Lou, Mike, myself, we all met – was “this is not New Jersey, this is not Detroit… this is Toronto.” So, it will get done. I’m fully confident that Lou will have that done and people don’t have to worry."

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2016...ews-lou-lamoriello-and-the-entry-level-bonus/

Last edited:

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I doubt he will play in the World Cup if unsigned so I would expect this to be wrapped up before that.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
You get used to that after trusting previous management. Also if option B happens, that is a very valid argument.

Ironically enough part of previous regime's failures were poor contract negotiations giving into players demands easily, which not only handcuffed the team cap wise/movement wise but also created a culture of sense of entitlement.

And yet you want Lou Lam to just give Matthews everything...

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
I posted this in his Draft thread.

https://mapleleafshotstove.com/2016...ews-lou-lamoriello-and-the-entry-level-bonus/

Brendan Shanahan, July 7, 2016:
"They should not be worried at all. I’d like to think — we haven’t been here a long time — but I can promise our fans that our management group didn’t get stupid in two weeks. We will take care of it. We understand what we have in Auston Matthews. Auston Matthews will be there in camp and we’re excited to have him. It will all get taken care of. We are not a group that likes to give a heads up as to what we’re doing and what we’re thinking. I’m sure there will be people wondering about it the day it ends up getting announced. I would just say that people can trust this group. Lou Lamoriello has been at this a long time. One thing he said when he came here – Lou, Mike, myself, we all met – was “this is not New Jersey, this is not Detroit… this is Toronto.†So, it will get done. I’m fully confident that Lou will have that done and people don’t have to worry."

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Well.....we are starting to see whos susceptible to click bait articles around here.

Theres literally NOTHING to worry about right now. Some here think there is some kind of recessive gene management inherits when they join the Leafs.

Have we had bad management the last decade? Yes
Does that mean the current team which is completely new is bad? If you think they are tied together somehow, the problem is not with what you think but how you think. Give yer head a shake and focus on something else.

The hilarious thing to me is the obsession over any inkling of change or shaking up the status quo being met with fear that all our players are just going to leave as free agents.

A player with 0 NHL games, almost 3 months before ever having the chance to dress in 1, is already walking out of town 7 years from now due to his ELC negotiation and people want to try having a discussion centered around that and pass it off as rational.

Meanwhile if Lou or anyone else manages to keep some of these ELC's without every bonus it would be considered a positive in 29 other markets but our fans will manage to flip it as pissing off the player(s) involved.

It's a wonder how some of these people even enjoy watching the games with their obsession over every media article about the team.

If it's not from a legit journalist or a real website then i'm not sure why anyone is even wasting their time reading it let alone taking the time to obsess over it with an irrational conclusion already drawn of an elite player leaving Toronto for Arizona as a UFA no matter which side of the argument happens to come true. :laugh: :laugh:

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Ironically enough part of previous regime's failures were poor contract negotiations giving into players demands easily, which not only handcuffed the team cap wise/movement wise but also created a culture of sense of entitlement.

And yet you want Lou Lam to just give Matthews everything...

These same posters would be giving him 8/88 in 2 years time rather then attempt to settle on a bridge deal.

People are so scared of negotiations...mainly because they don't understand them.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

When they want to sign him all they have to do is take a copy of McDavid's deal, and white-out the names and signature block.

Probably take about 5 minutes to prepare a standard entry level contract with max bonuses.

I see no incentive for Vesey to sign with the Leafs.

Mad Brills*

I doubt he will play in the World Cup if unsigned so I would expect this to be wrapped up before that.

This too. Him not being insured for a non nhl/league tournament wouldn't be good.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
People are so scared of negotiations...mainly because they don't understand them.

Negotiations for the sake of negotiating are pointless. Auston Matthews will get a fully loaded entry level contract. As he deserves. All these murmurs and rumours could have been completely avoided. Lou's stubbornness is making this a talking point in the hockey world when it never needed to be.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site

Maybe that's the plan. "We wouldn't even give Auston this contract, but for you.."! :laugh:

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
didn't you guys see how upset he looked when you drafted him? he obviously just doesn't want to sign with you guys and his holding out for a trade.

auston-matthews-jersey.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x736.jpg

So sad....

Mad Brills*

These same posters would be giving him 8/88 in 2 years time rather then attempt to settle on a bridge deal.

It wouldn't shock me if on July 1st, 2018, auston matthews gets a 7 x 6.5-7 million dollar deal from the leafs.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
So the consensus here is that 90% of us are not worried and the other 10 are paranoid af.

Should start up a poll eh :naughty:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad