Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 1st Overall - Auston Matthews - Centre - ZSC Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
If there was no need for negotiations - then every first overall would sign July 1st. and be done with it.
obviously. there is more work than "here is the contract, please sign here."
or there are other pressing needs that go before the "here is the contract, please sign here."

TML Dynasty

May 2, 2016
Harder than you think, I guess?

I would guess that he needs his immigration paperwork done in order to sign and receive the signing bonus.

They need to decide exactly which criteria the bonus money is attached to. It's not as simple as "give me the max", you have to divide the money amongst the specific incentives. This should be easy, but it's still work.

They'd likely want him to sign in person and do the press stuff, so that means waiting until next time he comes up to Toronto.

There are probably agreements beyond the hockey ELC to work out relating to marketing, medical, training, etc.

They could probably get it all done in a week if they had to, but why rush it when they have three months?

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
These same posters would be giving him 8/88 in 2 years time rather then attempt to settle on a bridge deal.

People are so scared of negotiations...mainly because they don't understand them.

It's extremely telling that they assume that the athletes are emotionally fragile and easily offended. It's business. The people you want in your organization understand that and take zero offense.

This doesn't preclude that if Auston Matthews is one of the best players in the league in 2 years time with undeniable dedication to training and preparation that you don't lock him up early. Otherwise if he's a good NHLer making steady improvements to his game then there's no reason that a bridge contract won't be entirely appropriate.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
This in inapplicable here. THERE IS NO NEGOTIATION NEEDED!!! How does giving our franchise player what every other one gets, somehow = to giving into players demands?

This is just as ridiculous as us saying what we are saying (if it doesn't turn out to be true).

Why don't you go ask Montreal how giving their franchise player a bridge deal went? Your comment is ignorant yet you claim others are ignorant for not agreeing with you.

Check out the last few franchise level players. They all get deals like this off their ELC.

You mean the franchise player that committed to the team long term after the bridge deal and retained trade value to allow the team to move the franchise player for another franchise player?

I'm not really interested in what the last few anything got. I'm more interested in how we're doing business.

Until there's a contract or a hold out to discuss then there really is nothing to talk about.

Good to know you're more willing to hand out blank checks rather then have a negotiation but i'll wait and base our moves on what we do and not what other teams did that did or did not go bad because every single situation ends up in that black or white area so kind of pointless to debate endless hypotheticals that will never happen when patience will allow us to discuss reality.

And discussing bridge contract seriously isn't reality. The fact that you decided to comment on it as if it was kind of says enough.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
It's extremely telling that they assume that the athletes are emotionally fragile and easily offended. It's business. The people you want in your organization understand that and take zero offense.

This doesn't preclude that if Auston Matthews is one of the best players in the league in 2 years time with undeniable dedication to training and preparation that you don't lock him up early. Otherwise if he's a good NHLer making steady improvements to his game then there's no reason that a bridge contract won't be entirely appropriate.

Agreed. The future will dictate what road we go down at that point. Not how Edmonton or Montreal handled any past business with their own players.

You simply wait and see and use the benefit of time. Some here are already penciling him in at a monster cap hit in year 4 based on the logic of the 30 second negotiation they think happens on an ELC.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
You mean the franchise player that committed to the team long term after the bridge deal and retained trade value to allow the team to move the franchise player for another franchise player?

I'm not really interested in what the last few anything got. I'm more interested in how we're doing business.

Until there's a contract or a hold out to discuss then there really is nothing to talk about.

Good to know you're more willing to hand out blank checks rather then have a negotiation but i'll wait and base our moves on what we do and not what other teams did that did or did not go bad because every single situation ends up in that black or white area so kind of pointless to debate endless hypotheticals that will never happen when patience will allow us to discuss reality.

And discussing bridge contract seriously isn't reality. The fact that you decided to comment on it as if it was kind of says enough.

Subban got over paid after his deal, and the owner had to step in to get the deal done :laugh: What are talking about? If they signed him to 8x8 right away, he'd have been worth his deal the whole time and be underpaid at the moment.

But sure, ignore what other young franchise players are getting if it fits your narrative. For reference..

Franchise D Ekblad 7.5 AAV right off ELC
Tarasenko 7.5 AAV off his ELC
Mackinnon 6.3 AAV

Every single star player who took a bridge is now currently cashed in. You say people are ignorant about negotiations, yet refuse to look at the other side when it doesn't fit your view?

Mad Brills*

Subban got over paid after his deal, and the owner had to step in to get the deal done What are talking about? If they signed him to 8x8 right away, he'd have been worth his deal the whole time and be underpaid at the moment.

But sure, ignore what other young franchise players are getting if it fits your narrative. For reference..

Franchise D Ekblad 7.5 AAV right off ELC
Tarasenko 7.5 AAV off his ELC
Mackinnon 6.3 AAV

Every single star player who took a bridge is now currently cashed in. You say people are ignorant about negotiations, yet refuse to look at the other side when it doesn't fit your view?

Why is he signing a bridge?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
This in inapplicable here. THERE IS NO NEGOTIATION NEEDED!!! How does giving our franchise player what every other one gets, somehow = to giving into players demands?

This is just as ridiculous as us saying what we are saying (if it doesn't turn out to be true.

If there is no negotiation needed, how do you explain other 1st OA's not signing before July 20th like Matthews hasn't? It's ignorant to suggest it takes 5 minutes to draw up a contract and get a deal done. Your large assumptions on contract signings discredit your argument entirely. And getting upset solely at Lou is also ridiculous when it could be Leafs management as a whole discussing contract options. We simply don't know.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
If there is no negotiation needed, how do you explain other 1st OA's not signing before July 20th like Matthews hasn't? It's ignorant to suggest it takes 5 minutes to draw up a contract and get a deal done. Your large assumptions on contract signings discredit your argument entirely. And getting upset solely at Lou is also ridiculous when it could be Leafs management as a whole discussing contract options. We simply don't know.

If I'm honest, there wouldn't be any worry by me if Lou didn't have a history or enforcing dumb policies and being too stubborn for his own good, even if that helps him in some ways.

Honestly, I just want us to be a good team again. I'm the same as all of you. IF he is hardballing Matthews, that is an issue even if some refuse to believe it.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
If I'm honest, there wouldn't be any worry by me if Lou didn't have a history or enforcing dumb policies and being too stubborn for his own good, even if that helps him in some ways.

Honestly, I just want us to be a good team again. I'm the same as all of you. IF he is hardballing Matthews, that is an issue even if some refuse to believe it.

Lou doesn't have the power to wield, like he did in Jersey. He's under Shanahan, so he'd have to relay his opinions on matters to him.

Mad Brills*

Lou doesn't have the power to wield, like he did in Jersey. He's under Shanahan, so he'd have to relay his opinions on matters to him.

and two telecom companies that might want this guy to be on the leafs too.......

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Matthews wasn't likely getting a bridge unless he busts.

So on the verge of a new CBA you would give out a blank check as opposed to negotiate?

I haven't once said anything about a long term deal at a fair number for a star player. Only brought it up in relation to this whole negativity toward negotiation.

If he doesn't bust and is willing to sign a max deal at a fair cap hit then I am sure our negotiating would get him to that point from a much higher number based on a rising cap and potential work stoppage.

If a good player wants to set a new salary standard you don't simply give it to him without having much discussion about how the salary demands fit in relation to a contending team.

But you both choose to solely focus on a hypothetical bridge deal while ignoring the topic of negotiation which proves what most are saying is going over your heads.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Looks like all the panic paid off, Lou caved and signed him

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA

Okay, what's next on the doomsday calendar? Should we go back to facial hair or focus on the lack of a backup goalie?

I say goalie.......apparently Lou doesn't really like backup goalies, he only likes starters. I hope he lightens up on this or we're going to alienate all the potential back up goalies and go into the season without one. Man the guy is such a dinosaur, imagine going into the season without a backup!

edit: I'm also annoyed that I don't know the details about Matthews contract yet......as a long time fan they owe me!

Mad Brills*

So on the verge of a new CBA you would give out a blank check as opposed to negotiate?

I haven't once said anything about a long term deal at a fair number for a star player. Only brought it up in relation to this whole negativity toward negotiation.

If he doesn't bust and is willing to sign a max deal at a fair cap hit then I am sure our negotiating would get him to that point from a much higher number based on a rising cap and potential work stoppage.

If a good player wants to set a new salary standard you don't simply give it to him without having much discussion about how the salary demands fit in relation to a contending team.

But you both choose to solely focus on a hypothetical bridge deal while ignoring the topic of negotiation which proves what most are saying is going over your heads.

yak is the only #1 OA pick since 2005 to not get a long term deal after his ELC.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Subban got over paid after his deal, and the owner had to step in to get the deal done :laugh:

$9 mil for a Norris winner in his prime for max term isn't overpaid.

The owner stepped in because his GM was willing to force the players hand and trade him which would have been a disaster PR wise for a player considered among the best at his position as a Norris winner still in the prime of his career.

Using Marc Bergevin as an example to follow isn't going to go very well for you.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
yak is the only #1 OA pick since 2005 to not get a long term deal after his ELC.

Good for him.

Guess what? Eventually, someone that goes #1 overall and doesn't bust, won't sign a max term deal.

If we're the team that breaks that trend. I won't complain about it.

I also won't complain if we're signing a franchise C to an 8 year deal.

But i'll leave my options open before the player plays a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese