Prospect Info: 2016 Maple Leafs Draft Pick - 1st Overall - Auston Matthews - Centre - ZSC Lions

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoeMoney

Mar 11, 2012
The point is, this shouldn’t be happening. The effect of this is way more costly than any benefit I can think of. Keeping it in perspective, the Leafs had been paying Tucker 1 million each year from 2008 to 2014 for doing nothing. To me this has to be something with his agent Don Meehan and Lou having a history.

BUT, at the same time I can understand the Leafs resistance to not get bent over with these clauses because based on this it would be a guaranteed 2 million payout for nothing:

It’s believed the Leafs — and Lamoriello, specifically — are balking at $2 million in performance bonuses, basically a payday if Matthews, for example, ended up as a top-five finalist in rookie-of-the-year voting.

Being a top 5 finalist in rookie of the year voting means nothing, you want 2 million for that? I blame the ineptitude of management like the Oilers and Sabres for causing this trend.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
auston-matthews-jersey.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x736.jpg

So sad....

:laugh: you can see from the scowl on his face, Lou is already thinking about this spoiled kid demanding selfish me first bonuses.
That or he's wondering what's taking Dubas so long to fetch his Espresso.

Only the Player and Coach look happy.

RayzorIsDull

Nov 16, 2007
bp on hfboards
Do we know if other players signed late because of the GM not wanting to give in on bonus demands? If we don't know that then the date they signed means nothing.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
The point is, this shouldn’t be happening. The effect of this is way more costly than any benefit I can think of. Keeping it in perspective, the Leafs had been paying Tucker 1 million each year from 2008 to 2014 for doing nothing. To me this has to be something with his agent Don Meehan and Lou having a history.

BUT, at the same time I can understand the Leafs resistance to not get bent over with these clauses because based on this it would be a guaranteed 2 million payout for nothing:

Being a top 5 finalist in rookie of the year voting means nothing, you want 2 million for that? I blame the ineptitude of management like the Oilers and Sabres for causing this trend.

What is happening that shouldn't be?

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
:laugh: you can see from the scowl on his face, Lou is already thinking about this spoiled kid demanding selfish me first bonuses.
That or he's wondering what's taking Dubas so long to fetch his Espresso.

Only the Player and Coach look happy.

I'd say Hunter looks content :)

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010

What is happening exactly and where is the proof that anything is happening?

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Signing dates:

William Nylander: August 18, 2014
Morgan Rielly: August 7, 2012
Mitch Marner: July 28, 2015
Travis Dermott: July 22, 2015

Also, if you'll notice, we haven't signed a single ELC contract. If we were experiencing a true hold out situation, we'd have seen other ELC's signed

SeenSchenn2

Itchin' For Mitch
Jun 15, 2010
Thornhill, ON
Signing dates:

William Nylander: August 18, 2014
Morgan Rielly: August 7, 2012
Mitch Marner: July 28, 2015
Travis Dermott: July 22, 2015

Also, if you'll notice, we haven't signed a single ELC contract. If we were experiencing a true hold out situation, we'd have seen other ELC's signed

Sidney Crosby?

SEPTEMBER 9th, 2005.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Lou should have had the paperwork in hand at the draft and gotten Matthews to sign it on national TV.

If the Oilers did this last year with McDavid, even knowing full well they were eventually going to sign him, people would have been ripping into their management team and calling them inept.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Maybe Lamoriello isn't the hold-up at all.

Maybe Matthews wants to have options.

If he signs he's obligated to the Leafs.

Right now he can sign anywhere.

:laugh: :sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

He will look great in a Yotes jersey alongside of Domi :laugh:

Hellraiser

Jun 12, 2015
New Jersey
None of this would surprise me if Lou was actually doing this. I really did feel bad for Larsson when it happened to him. As much as I like Lou, the Leafs need to can him

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
Sidney Crosby?

SEPTEMBER 9th, 2005.

People need to remember that this is a business first. And that the Leafs aren't actually dealing with Matthews, but his agent. And unless they're extremely unprofessional, the agent isn't going to take it personally and isn't going to hold a grudge. I.e. see what happened with Crosby like you said. He stuck around

Mad Brills*

None of this would surprise me if Lou was actually doing this. I really did feel bad for Larsson when it happened to him. As much as I like Lou, the Leafs need to can him

I hope he's gone next summer and dubas takes over

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco

You can't get 2 million for being a finalist for rookie of the year. Read the damn CBA!!!

SEER

Sep 21, 2015
Ironically enough part of previous regime's failures were poor contract negotiations giving into players demands easily, which not only handcuffed the team cap wise/movement wise but also created a culture of sense of entitlement.

And yet you want Lou Lam to just give Matthews everything...

Great post, Mess..!

Another thing I want to point out, is the "yearly" "SUMMER SLING" of gossip and controversy
planted into so many people's heads.., by the Media..

I mean really, now..

Do some of you guys not see the ever-repeating pattern of this..? Every off-season numerous rumors get sent around, because there are no live games happening and press people are striving to get attention for their work..

Some do it honestly.., while others will say anything, if it means advancing.. Same goes with Players Agents...

I was in the music part of the entertainment business, when I was younger.. More often than not, it is the "agents" (not the client) who are demanding more money.., because this means that their commissions are that much higher... AND.. it attracts more attention from future prospective clients..

Look at this just as a sport if you want to.., but really.., this is part of the "Entertainment Business"... If you want to see pure-sports, watch the Olympics.. Most of those people are doing it "just for their love of the game(s)"..

The agents want to get the best deal for their clients (and themselves)... Lou's job, is to get the best deal for the team... (and the franchise and share-holders who stand around him).. The Media's job.., is to to keep us entertained (and hopefully informed)...

Patience... and not buying into everything that is put out there by the Media.., is (imo) ...what a lot of Toronto fans need to work on...

In the old days in the music business..., we used to laugh at it all.. and many would say... "Well... any Press, is good Press.."..,
because any press would get people talking about you...

Evident in these forums..? :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad