2016 Draft Thread III (June 24-25, 7PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
What Columbus needs to do is what they think is best for the team. Not for next year. For the next 10+ years. Thinking short term is what gets teams in trouble.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Yep, for once I would love to see our organization , swinging the big stick , and make some aggressive moves . Like a buffalo, for example . Seems like we always talk of a known need , and go years with that same problem. I realize Seth Jones was a big move .

Yeah, because Buffalo is so great. :shakehead

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Doesn't seem Jarmo can win. He gets skewered for the big moves (Horton, Gaborik, Johansen) but then people call for his head for sitting back and being patient. Life of a GM, I guess.

Needs to make big moves which work. Horton and Gaborik didn't work. There's a stipulation there.

I just want the team to have success. But I don't think anybody can argue for the team's longterm health, that success needs to come soon. They're pretty much living on borrowed time.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Needs to make big moves which work. Horton and Gaborik didn't work. There's a stipulation there.

I just want the team to have success. But I don't think anybody can argue for the team's longterm health, that success needs to come soon. They're pretty much living on borrowed time.

It's easy to say they didn't work years later. He tried to make a big move at the time, which is what people seem to be clamoring for.

You can't use a silly argument like "only do the moves that work", otherwise every GM would win the Cup every year.

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
It's easy to say they didn't work years later. He tried to make a big move at the time, which is what people seem to be clamoring for.

You can't use a silly argument like "only do the moves that work", otherwise every GM would win the Cup every year.

Jarmo doesn't have that luxury though. He has to be perfect or he sucks and is the worst GM in professional sports.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Jarmo doesn't have that luxury though. He has to be perfect or he sucks and is the worst GM in professional sports.

Even worse, he gets crucified before he's even done anything wrong. For instance, this draft.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013

Just based on the teams performance he can be judged.

A (nearly) cap team, with a lot of long-term contracts, that finished near the bottom.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
If Jarmo hadn't messed up our salary cap situation and hadn't traded away Johansen, I feel confident we'd be picking Puljujarvi no questions asked.

I really don't like Brown as a prospect. I think he compares more to Joe Colbourne than Joe Thornton. I also don't like how quickly he's moved up the draft board as well as the fact that he could be ~3 years away from being a solid NHL center. Ryan Johansen's development was a nightmare and for a few seasons it looked like we'd punted the pick by drafting a 3rd line guy.

I was upset we skipped on Fowler and still remain a bit upset by it today.

Further, it completely goes against the foundational rule of drafting: Don't draft based on position. Wipe the position slot off the prospect sheet.

Not saying I prefer Brown to Pulju but how is he any different than Johanssen in his draft year? Joey was a fast riser and not rated in the top 10 when we picked him 4th overall. People were pissed with that decision. He turned into a pretty good player and has potential to be top 5 at his position.

I don't know which way tonight will go, obviously, but here we are (not you specifically) counting on a draft pick to take us to the holy land straight out of the draft. Pulju could be elite like we hope (and I hope we draft him) but he isn't going to plug in this year and be a high level contributor. At least that shouldn't be the expectation. He's not Eichel or McJesus.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009

It was easy to say that the Gaborik move at the time wouldn't work well. They went against their very own mantra of "brick by brick" and "building from the backend out." As soon as they saw a glimmer of an opportunity to add a high-octane scorer, they abandoned that mantra.

It was very easy to see that Horton should have been insured. That may not have been Jarmo's call, so I'll go easy on that. But still, reports out of Boston was that he was DONE as a player.

It was easy to see that he was selling low on Gaborik that the TDL. I really wanted them to keep Gaborik for the playoffs and then let him go in FA.

It was EASY to see that they should have paid for Mackenzie to stay. He's doing great in Florida.

It was easy to see that Jarmo shouldn't have paid Foligno as much as he did. I posted the article about how the numbers don't reflect the contracts we gave out.

These things aren't rocket science. Neither is sticking to Jarmo's own mantra of not drafting based on positionality or need.

There's an easy pick here. We know Puljujarvi is going to be a stud. Take the safe single instead of swinging for a homerun.

Xoggz22 said:
Not saying I prefer Brown to Pulju but how is he any different than Johanssen in his draft year? Joey was a fast riser and not rated in the top 10 when we picked him 4th overall. People were pissed with that decision. He turned into a pretty good player and has potential to be top 5 at his position.
Yes, Johansen turned into a good player... 4 1/2 years after being drafted. Before that, there was plenty of lamentation that we'd accidentally selected a 3rd line center at 4th overall. I'm looking for a guy who's going to be a great player in 1 year. And had the team gone with Fowler, that'd still be regarded as the "right move" today. Fowler remains an excellent player (and it didn't take him so long to get there).

I think Puljujarvi is a sure thing. Barring some major news regarding what's supposed to be a minor knee operation, I think he's a guarantee to score 20 goals as soon as next season.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I was listening to the NHL Network on Sirius XM this morning as they were talking about Edmonton and the likelihood that they will trade their first round pick 4A defenseman. It struck me that the Blue Jackets might offer for Ryan Murray for the 4th overall pick to take the center of their choice. Crazy?

Call me crazy but I don't do it. Murray has already shown he has top pair skills and is on a sharp trajectory up. We finally, finally, have some pieces on defense to make a respectable defense and we discuss trading them. Why trade Joey for Jones if you were going to turn around and trade Murray for a "chance".

I would be very disappointed if we were to do this. I also think Murray's all around game is better than Fowler.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Jarmo has been hearing rumors of Jets interest in Puljujarvi at #2. So he starts floating idea (more like lets the media report) they aren't interested in Pulju to make Chevy think Jarmo knows something he doesn't about Jesse, thus making him doubt the pick at #2. Jets take Laine, and Jarmo gets his guy and all this was a master smokescreen.

xeozd.jpg

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
It was easy to say that the Gaborik move at the time wouldn't work well. They went against their very own mantra of "brick by brick" and "building from the backend out." As soon as they saw a glimmer of an opportunity to add a high-octane scorer, they abandoned that mantra.

It was very easy to see that Horton should have been insured. That may not have been Jarmo's call, so I'll go easy on that. But still, reports out of Boston was that he was DONE as a player.

It was easy to see that he was selling low on Gaborik that the TDL. I really wanted them to keep Gaborik for the playoffs and then let him go in FA.

It was EASY to see that they should have paid for Mackenzie to stay. He's doing great in Florida.

It was easy to see that Jarmo shouldn't have paid Foligno as much as he did. I posted the article about how the numbers don't reflect the contracts we gave out.

These things aren't rocket science. Neither is sticking to Jarmo's own mantra of not drafting based on positionality or need.

There's an easy pick here. We know Puljujarvi is going to be a stud. Take the safe single instead of swinging for a homerun.

Yes, Johansen turned into a good player... 4 1/2 years after being drafted. Before that, there was plenty of lamentation that we'd accidentally selected a 3rd line center at 4th overall. I'm looking for a guy who's going to be a great player in 1 year. And had the team gone with Fowler, that'd still be regarded as the "right move" today. Fowler remains an excellent player (and it didn't take him so long to get there).

I think Puljujarvi is a sure thing. Barring some major news regarding what's supposed to be a minor knee operation, I think he's a guarantee to score 20 goals as soon as next season.

You ever think about submitting an application to the CBJ for GM? It seems to come very easy to you.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
You ever think about submitting an application to the CBJ for GM? It seems to come very easy to you.

Another year of losing and I just might.

16/30 NHL teams make the playoffs every year. You don't have to be amazing, just better than average.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

The consensus is that Puljujarvi is less of a single than a guaranteed home run.

It would be more like the following scenario: bottom of the 9th, down one run, bases loaded, two outs and a full count. The pitcher hangs a curveball right down the heart of the plate. Do you go for the single that will drive in the winning runs since that's all you need to win, or do you take a mammoth Russell Branyan swing for the game-ending grand slam that will make you look awesome even if it means that you strike out?

After all, why just go for the win when you can really send a message, actual results be damned?

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
Another year of losing and I just might.

16/30 NHL teams make the playoffs every year. You don't have to be amazing, just better than average.

Who was he going to get for market value to come to bottom-feeder Columbus?

I think he did what he had to do, overpay a few older guys for a while until the young guys (the ones he selected and had confidence in) are ready. Feels like the youth are starting that push now. Saying all these things were "bad" and easy to see at the time doesn't necessarily mean he had better options and chose these "bad" ones instead. In some cases, yes, sure, hindsight, blah blah.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Yep, for once I would love to see our organization , swinging the big stick , and make some aggressive moves . Like a buffalo, for example . Seems like we always talk of a known need , and go years with that same problem. I realize Seth Jones was a big move .

Funny to have a poster with Saad in his username pining for lack of a big move.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
The consensus is that Puljujarvi is less of a single than a guaranteed home run.

It would be more like the following scenario: bottom of the 9th, down one run, bases loaded, two outs and a full count. The pitcher hangs a curveball right down the heart of the plate. Do you go for the single that will drive in the winning runs since that's all you need to win, or do you take a mammoth Russell Branyan swing for the game-ending grand slam that will make you look awesome even if it means that you strike out?

After all, why just go for the win when you can really send a message, actual results be damned?

HEY! A baseball reference I can finally relate to.

Skraut

Jul 31, 2006
Enter city here
Nashville could trade for Joey because they had taken the Best Player Available in the draft despite them already having riches at D...

If they had passed on Jones in the 2013 draft and instead tried to fill a need with that pick, they would have Elias Lindholm or Sean Monahan.

Are they better off taking the best player available or should they have taken the position of need?

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Bob McKenzie on TSN 1050: "CBJ options are trade the pick or conceivably go off the board at three."

Those are literally their only options. Well, except for JD ripping off his shirt at the podium and saying "We'll take Matthews, Who's gonna stop me?" But McKenzie doesn't want to get into the obvious.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
I know what I do not want: I DON'T WANT ANOTHER SINGLE DIGITS GOALS PER YEAR CENTER LIKE WENNBERG. I DO NOT WANT ANOTHER CENTER WHO WILL TAKE 3-4 YEARS TO DEVELOP LIKE WENNBERG. I GUESS I DO NOT WANT "WENNBERG- THE SEQUEL".

For that type of center, you don't draft one unless it's Eichel or McJesus. Most centers take time to develop, so do defensemen, goalies and wings. don't see any issues with Wennberg. To each his own I guess...

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Those are literally their only options. Well, except for JD ripping off his shirt at the podium and saying "We'll take Matthews, Who's gonna stop me?" But McKenzie doesn't want to get into the obvious.

Gee, he means we either have to use the pick on who we want or trade it?

There is some brilliance on his part.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008

"With the first pick in the draft, the Toronto Maple Leafs are proud to select...."

(The lights cut out. A confused murmuring is heard in the crowd, building louder and louder. Suddenly, a spotlight illuminates one single mustache.)

"BAH GAWD KING, THAT'S JOHN DAVIDSON'S MUSIC!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad