2016 Draft Thread III (June 24-25, 7PM)

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoachWithNoTeam

Jul 1, 2006
San Diego
Would anyone want to reach on Adam Mascherin at #34?

absolutely. He's maybe my ideal choice at that pick. one of the best shots in the draft, and a history of production. He's short but not a small guy, similar in build to dano - in that 5'10, 200+ range, last I heard. It's a nice risky pick for a high ceiling offensive player... Really though, there will be a lot to pick from at 34.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
absolutely. He's maybe my ideal choice at that pick. one of the best shots in the draft, and a history of production. He's short but not a small guy, similar in build to dano - in that 5'10, 200+ range, last I heard. It's a nice risky pick for a high ceiling offensive player... Really though, there will be a lot to pick from at 34.

I agree. Sounds like another Cam Atkinson with some muscle

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
John Davidson at the podium: "Thank you, Gary. I want to say hello to all our fans watching at the draft watch party. To make our pick, here is our head of Amateur Scouting, Ville Siren."

Ville Siren (translated): "With the third pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, the Columbus Blue Jackets select, from Karpat, Jesse Puljujarvi."

*Music plays as Puljujarvi walks up to the stage and shakes everyone's hand. He then puts on the hat and jersey and has his picture taken.*

*Everyone walks off to do interviews*

Fin.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
John Davidson at the podium: "Thank you, Gary. I want to say hello to all our fans watching at the draft watch party. To make our pick, here is our head of Amateur Scouting, Ville Siren."

Ville Siren (translated): "With the third pick in the 2016 NHL Entry Draft, the Columbus Blue Jackets select, from Karpat, Jesse Puljujarvi."

*Music plays as Puljujarvi walks up to the stage and shakes everyone's hand. He then puts on the hat and jersey and has his picture taken.*

*Everyone walks off to do interviews*

Fin.
Don't be so hasty. We could trade into the late 1st round like we did last year. ;)

* * *​
Steve Simmons of the Toronto Star: Talk out of Winnipeg has some scouts liking Jesse Puljajarvi over Patrick Laine.

http://mynhltraderumors.com/nhl-rum...n-oilers-jets-devils-kings-bruins/2016/06/06/

Hardly shocking; scouts have differences of opinion all the time. What would be surprising is if it amounts to anything at the draft podium.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Don't be so hasty. We could trade into the late 1st round like we did last year. ;)

* * *​

Hardly shocking; scouts have differences of opinion all the time. What would be surprising is if it amounts to anything at the draft podium.

Perhaps the scouts are preferring a more well rounded player than the "next Ovie?" who was on a tremendous tear the last part of the season Prior to that Pulju was consistently rated higher. To dismiss it it out of hand seems silly. I could see them taking Pulju.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Perhaps the scouts are preferring a more well rounded player than the "next Ovie?" who was on a tremendous tear the last part of the season Prior to that Pulju was consistently rated higher. To dismiss it it out of hand seems silly. I could see them taking Pulju.
My point being that each team has many scouts, and many of them will rate different players differently. "Some scouts" isn't useful information. It could be two guys out of a total of ten for all we know. And since we've known all along that the Jets could just go take Puljujarvi, that therefore means that nothing new has been learned as a result of said report.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
And since we've known all along that the Jets could just go take Puljujarvi, that therefore means that nothing new has been learned as a result of said report.

:laugh:

It is new info to me that Jets have considered Puljujärvi over Laine if they have done any scouting when the two aren't exactly on the same level offensively. This feel good narrative rises more from the lucky loser thinking than actual substance based on some kind of critical review. After what Laine has shown at the highest level it would be a huge swing to take Puljujärvi with lesser merits ahead of him.

Maybe they will pick general janitor Janhunen, jack of all trades, master of none. It ain't a bad spot to pick third still but there is a clear cut line in what Laine offers compared to those who come behind him. I am not afraid to say it. I know what he is capable of.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008

It is new info to me that Jets have considered Puljujärvi over Laine if they have done any scouting when the two aren't exactly on the same level offensively. This feel good narrative rises more from the lucky loser thinking than actual substance based on some kind of critical review. After what Laine has shown at the highest level it would be a huge swing to take Puljujärvi with lesser merits ahead of him.

Maybe they will pick general janitor Janhunen, jack of all trades, master of none. It ain't a bad spot to pick third still but there is a clear cut line in what Laine offers compared to those who come behind him. I am not afraid to say it. I know what he is capable of.

:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse:deadhorse

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
I've always thought there was a good chance Winnipeg could take Puljujärvi. He has always been the number 2 draft prospect, IMO. I actually like him more than Matthews, but that is because I like his game more. I know Matthews is better (now) and plays center, so he will most likely get picked first.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
I don't care which of the top three they select. As long as he turns out to be as good as projected, I'll be happy with any of them.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Hon, we're all aware that the Most High Leading One (blessed be He) spoke to you in a dream (or a blog written and read while drunk some might or something) and told you that Puljujarvi is garbage. We get it. We simply don't care anymore. You haven't been able to back your opinion beyond repeated appeals to authority - specifically, an authority that's getting roundly mocked by everyone else here who knows Finland and the Finnish language, and who has no constructive results to back his theories. And your answers to that have consisted exclusively of "Americans are idiots" and good old-fashioned regionalistic racism. So until you have an argument that has a little bit more basis than "THE PROPHET HAS SPOKEN AND ALL OTHERS ARE SUBHUMAN", we're going to just continue to do our own little thing here, and you can go scream in the corner as much as you like and it'll continue to not matter.
pat.gif

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
How many girls choose cotton dress worlds when they could have satins and lace? And stand by her man.

Some girls would choose the versatility and breathability of cotton. Some girls would rather wear pants. Some girls would have their man stand by them. Some girls would prefer to stand by their woman. :naughty:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Yeah, The odds Winnipeg passes on Laine is the same as the Leafs passing on Matthews. 0%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad