Prospect Info: 2016 Draft/ Lottery/ Prospect Discussion Thread (Lottery April 30th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
3zg0TEM.gif

This gif needs more Leaf tears.

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Will be in Vegas for this years NHL lottery,Which is way better than last year when I had to sneak into the back at work to watch

You guys think I'll be able to find a place in Vegas to bet on the Oilers winning the lottery?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Here's a paragraph from a National Post article yesterday about the Oilers' poor drafting:

Am I overreacting in immediately thinking mentioning Pelss in this context is in poor taste? Maybe the writer didn't know, or forgot, but I definitely don't think it helps his point.

It looks like someone brought this up on Twitter to him, and I don't see a reply from him, but suddenly Pelss' name doesn't appear in the article anymore.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
It looks like someone brought this up on Twitter to him, and I don't see a reply from him, but suddenly Pelss' name doesn't appear in the article anymore.

He's just another uneducated piece of crap that doesn't do his research.

Anyways, what's with everyone blaming the scouting staff? It's getting really old really quick. It's like when people don't know what's wrong, they just blame the scouts. The oilers culture and effort levels clearly aren't where they need to be. You can throw as many great prospects to the Sharks as you want and the result will be the same. It's no secret the when players leave here that they start to play significantly better.

Despite the less than stellar picks, when you draft a guy like Taylor Hall every year, drafting doesn't have to be good. In 2010, Calgary only drafted a bubble player in Ferland yet somehow they did a good job because they didn't draft 1st overall? No one said it was fair but cmon people.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012

Anyways, what's with everyone blaming the scouting staff? It's getting really old really quick. It's like when people don't know what's wrong, they just blame the scouts. The oilers culture and effort levels clearly aren't where they need to be. You can throw as many great prospects to the Sharks as you want and the result will be the same. It's no secret the when players leave here that they start to play significantly better.

Despite the less than stellar picks, when you draft a guy like Taylor Hall every year, drafting doesn't have to be good. In 2010, Calgary only drafted a bubble player in Ferland yet somehow they did a good job because they didn't draft 1st overall? No one said it was fair but cmon people.

Agree 100%. I see so many people comparing Oilers round 2-7 picks with other teams 1-7 picks. Like wtf?

Ideally yes its best if you draft high AND draft well in later rounds. But in reality that doesnt happen. If your scouting staff is good in later rounds, you wont be bottom 3 in league, so you dont get top 5 pick

Likewise, you get high picks because scouting staff couldnt find later round talent

If you draft #1 and draft a Hall and a team drafts low 1st round and get a bust, then drafts in later rounds and finds a Faulk, or Stone or whomever. Is a team that much better? I mean at the end of the day both team gets same talent. Sure its easy to pick high. But hockey is about getting best players.

But now its time to draft better now that we wont be bottom 5 in future

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Well said. Ferland is nothing but a low-rent Pat Maroon.

If you trade well but draft poorly you're a poor team. If you draft well but trade poorly you'd a bubble team. if you draft well and trade well you're usually a champion.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
The Oilers scouting, and development of defencemen has been brutal for the last 25 years.

Since 1990 they haven't drafted and developed a single top pairing defenceman.

The closest they've come is Tom Poti.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
To go further.

The only thing that saved them in the late 90's and early 200's was the ability for them to trade for quality d-men.

They did so with Hamerlik, Nininma, Jason Smith, Steve Staios, Chris Pronger, etc.

But we never came even close with our own internal picks and development system.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We have some new blood in our scouting ranks. I am particularly happy with Chia's brothers drafting from the OHL. I doubt that he would've passed on Jenner to take Musil had he been the head guy back then.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
We have some new blood in our scouting ranks. I am particularly happy with Chia's brothers drafting from the OHL. I doubt that he would've passed on Jenner to take Musil had he been the head guy back then.

I had the NHL Network at the time and I remember staring dumbfounded at the TV when the announcers said the Oilers took Musil...and I don't really follow prospects that close but knew who Jenner was.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I had the NHL Network at the time and I remember staring dumbfounded at the TV when the announcers said the Oilers took Musil...and I don't really follow prospects that close but knew who Jenner was.

Both players were projected to go in the 30-40 range often so it's not like we went way off the board and Musil was a top 10 ranked player heading into his draft season. Did I want Jenner at the time? Hell yah, I wasn't a Musil fan. Did we go off the board with the pick? No.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010

He did tho. Musil 2.0 over Barzal/Connor + 33rd pick lol

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
He did tho. Musil 2.0 over Barzal/Connor + 33rd pick lol

I was at the NHL draft, I watched the Oilers table consistently and for 5-10 minutes before the trade happened MacT was constantly talking to Chiarelli like he was trying to convince him of something as was another Oiler dumb dumb who's name I can't remember. Then the trade happened and disappointment consumed our fan base.

Obviously I didn't hear what was said but I blame MacT :laugh:

Edit: oh someone said his name above, Bob Green was the other one I believe in deep discussion before the trade happened.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I was at the NHL draft, I watched the Oilers table consistently and for 5-10 minutes before the trade happened MacT was constantly talking to Chiarelli like he was trying to convince him of something as was another Oiler dumb dumb who's name I can't remember. Then the trade happened and disappointment consumed our fan base.

Obviously I didn't hear what was said but I blame MacT :laugh:

Edit: oh someone said his name above, Bob Green was the other one I believe in deep discussion before the trade happened.

How do you get tickets for it. It's in my backyard this year (Buffalo) and want to go but can't find anything on it.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
How do you get tickets for it. It's in my backyard this year (Buffalo) and want to go but can't find anything on it.

I get to go for free because of my job but last year I know the Florida Panthers had an entry on their website to get tickets. For sh**s and giggles I entered in February I think it was last year and they sent me an email in early June saying I'd been selected. All tickets were free unless you selected the all you can eat and drink (liquor) package then it was like $20-30. The Sabres probably have a similar deal this year. Also look on Craigslist, I had friends who wanted tickets last second last year and that's where they bought them from.

The draw on their website wasn't random, it was essentially, "hey you entered, here's tickets!"

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I get to go for free because of my job but last year I know the Florida Panthers had an entry on their website to get tickets. For sh**s and giggles I entered in February I think it was last year and they sent me an email in early June saying I'd been selected. All tickets were free unless you selected the all you can eat and drink (liquor) package then it was like $20-30. The Sabres probably have a similar deal this year. Also look on Craigslist, I had friends who wanted tickets last second last year and that's where they bought them from.

The draw on their website wasn't random, it was essentially, "hey you entered, here's tickets!"

Thanks. I'm guessing it will be a lot tougher to get tickets for Buffalo, especially with Leafs picking high. They place will be packed with Blue and White.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad