Prospect Info: 2016 Draft/ Lottery/ Prospect Discussion Thread (Lottery April 30th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hopelesslucicfan

Larsson fanclub 2016
Mar 14, 2009
Edmonton
The more I think about it, the more I'd actually be really okay with drafting 4+

You get a big potential prospect, who will be protected from the expansion draft, and potentially the second expansion draft the year after. Where as a guy like Laine or Mathews would likely be in the NHL next year, meaning if they played the next year, they would require protecting from the second expansion draft.

This whole expansion draft thing is really killing my desire to aquire 6 top 4 dmen this season :cry:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I was following on twitter since I couldn't bear the thought of the Yotes or Leafs winning McDavid...just shouted "oh my god" cause I was so stunned...then giddy...then excited

I may watch the Lottery this year but I'll be legit embarrassed if we win again

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Nope. I want #1 or #4. We either trade #1 for a stud dman, or we draft our own potential one at #4

Agree with this. As I've shown in a previous post, the only way we get a #1D man is if we get really really lucky and another team is having cap/issues with one (which maybe the #1 overall allows us to get), or we draft a potential one, which we can do with #4.

Honestly I think if we want to win the Cup we need a true 1D. I have zero faith in the whole D by committee thing, when it comes to truly contending. Having a 27+ min player, and often more than that in the playoffs just makes the whole team and defense so much better because it lets you have your best guy against the opponents top line the whole time, plus pp and pk and time against their second line too. It's been so long since we've had one I think people are forgetting what that kind of player does for a team. You need to go back to Carolina in 2006 to find a team who has won a Cup without a true #1D, and I don't even know how far back after that to find another one.

If we end up picking Matthews or Laine I wont be too upset because those are 2 guys with game breaking talent and would definitely make other pieces available. If they take any other forwards though including Puljujarvi I'm going to be rattled.

I hope we can get Hamonic who is a solid RD #2/3 shutdown guy and then we can let Klefbom, Nurse, and Chychrun/Juolevi/Serg if we pick one of them safely develop offense as his partner for the next 4 years with someone to cover their backs. That would be ideal.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Agree with this. As I've shown in a previous post, the only way we get a #1D man is if we get really really lucky and another team is having cap/issues with one (which maybe the #1 overall allows us to get), or we draft a potential one, which we can do with #4.

Honestly I think if we want to win the Cup we need a true 1D. I have zero faith in the whole D by committee thing, when it comes to truly contending. Having a 27+ min player, and often more than that in the playoffs just makes the whole team and defense so much better because it lets you have your best guy against the opponents top line the whole time, plus pp and pk and time against their second line too. It's been so long since we've had one I think people are forgetting what that kind of player does for a team. You need to go back to Carolina in 2006 to find a team who has won a Cup without a true #1D, and I don't even know how far back after that to find another one.

If we end up picking Matthews or Laine I wont be too upset because those are 2 guys with game breaking talent and would definitely make other pieces available. If they take any other forwards though including Puljujarvi I'm going to be rattled.

I hope we can get Hamonic who is a solid RD #2/3 shutdown guy and then we can let Klefbom, Nurse, and Chychrun/Juolevi/Serg if we pick one of them safely develop offense as his partner for the next 4 years with someone to cover their backs. That would be ideal.

I think #1D thing is getting a bit overblown on HF

Nashville had 2 #1D (Weber and Suter/Josi) and couldnt do anything. St.Lious has Petro, J bow, Shattenkirk and cant do anything. Winnipeg has Buff, Trouba, Enstrom, Myers and a bottom team. Calgary with Gio and Brodie are a garbage team

Team needs balance. The only way you are becoming a contender with a #1D is by either stealing them in a trade, or developing one. If you tear team apart for one youll open more holes than you close.

A team with 2 top pairing D, 2 middle pairing D and good bottom pairing, COMBINED with elite forwards and good goaltending is a contender. A stud D core does nothing on its own

That being said, this draft really is the answer to building a contender. Either you draft Matthews/Laine and trade 2 forwards for a top pairing and #3/4 D, or you trade the pick for a #1D, OR you pick Chrychrun and develop him into that top pairing D. Really cant go wrong in this draft. Even Dubios solves a big need

Chrychun, Klefbom, Hamonic, Nurse, Sekera, Davidson, new #3/4 D is more than solid enough for me (in a year or twos time)

Talisman

Nov 7, 2015

Nashville had 2 #1D (Weber and Suter/Josi) and couldnt do anything. St.Lious has Petro, J bow, Shattenkirk and cant do anything. Winnipeg has Buff, Trouba, Enstrom, Myers and a bottom team. Calgary with Gio and Brodie are a garbage team

Team needs balance. The only way you are becoming a contender with a #1D is by either stealing them in a trade, or developing one. If you tear team apart for one youll open more holes than you close.

A team with 2 top pairing D, 2 middle pairing D and good bottom pairing, COMBINED with elite forwards and good goaltending is a contender. A stud D core does nothing on its own

That being said, this draft really is the answer to building a contender. Either you draft Matthews/Laine and trade 2 forwards for a top pairing and #3/4 D, or you trade the pick for a #1D, OR you pick Chrychrun and develop him into that top pairing D. Really cant go wrong in this draft. Even Dubios solves a big need

Chrychun, Klefbom, Hamonic, Nurse, Sekera, Davidson, new #3/4 D is more than solid enough for me (in a year or twos time)

how about Prospect Ethan Bear??.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Nope. I want #1 or #4. We either trade #1 for a stud dman, or we draft our own potential one at #4

If the Oilers end up with a top 3 pick, I don't think there's any way they're turning it into a defenseman, trade or otherwise.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Tkachuk is being ranked anywhere from 4-7. Honestly can't imagine us picking him over Chychrun.

If a winger is ranked in the 4-7 range and the top dman in the draft is ranked in the 4-7 range then what do you REALLY think happens?

Agreed. It's a tight race in that spot. You take the person you think will be the best dman

Not really. The difference with Nashville is they don't have the forwards we do. Sure, they've always had good defense, but up until this year, they didn't have first line forwards either. If we can trade the #1 pick for OEL (or a different #1 dman), we literally wouldn't lose a single piece of our team. That's hardly blowing things up.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Here's a paragraph from a National Post article yesterday about the Oilers' poor drafting:

Six years later, only Hall and bottom-pair defenceman Brandon Davidson (sixth round) are still in Edmonton, which remains at the bottom of the standings. Tyler Pitlick, who was selected 31st overall, spent all of this season in the minors. Martin Marincin, 46th overall, was traded to Toronto last year for a fourth-round pick. And Curtis Hamilton, Ryan Martindale, Jeremie Blain, Tyler Bunz, Drew Czerwonka, Kristians Pelss and Kellen Jones have combined for two games in the NHL.

Am I overreacting in immediately thinking mentioning Pelss in this context is in poor taste? Maybe the writer didn't know, or forgot, but I definitely don't think it helps his point.

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014

Yes but all of Nash, Stl, Wpg and Cgy also don't/didn't have a player I'd consider a legitimate 1C, which I also think is pretty much a requirement for winning a Cup. We already have that.

And yeah your second point is exactly what I was saying, you either get really lucky or you have to draft one.

I just think if an u26 1D is available then anyone except McDavid is on the table as the main piece going back, and that we need to take Chychrun if we draft below 2nd.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
Here's a paragraph from a National Post article yesterday about the Oilers' poor drafting:

Am I overreacting in immediately thinking mentioning Pelss in this context is in poor taste? Maybe the writer didn't know, or forgot, but I definitely don't think it helps his point.

It's the epitome of lazy journalism. Look at one year's draft, count NHLers, condemn the org. Pathetic.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

Yeah, the Pelss mention is definitely in poor taste. That's like mentioning Vancouver's miserable blueline and bringing up Luc Bourdon.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Lowetide has a good article on Chyrchun, I hope we don't fall further than 4th. Sounds like a great prospect.

OILSLICK94

Mar 9, 2004
London Ontario
I know I know I know, the consensus 1st overall guy is Matthews however for the first time I have seen a publication with someone leapfrogging him and he goes by the name Patrik Laine. I am beggining to think that he is the better get here, and fits the teams need pure sniper and would gladly take with the 2nd overall pick. Come to think of it, I don't think the Oilers have ever selected 2nd overall (Hall/RNH/Yakupov/McDavid) all 1st overall, and Draisaitl was 3rd overall. It's time for the deuce. :laugh:

This would allow the organization to entertain trade(s) for 1 or 2 of the following players (Hall/Eberle/RNH/Yakupov) to beef up the back-end. The current core needs a drastic shake up.

http://www.mckeenshockey.com/prospects-blog/mckeens-2016-top-30-nhl-draft-rankings-apr-2016/

Comments are as follows........

been said many times that Auston Matthews is the “consensus first pick†since last summer, but therein lies the rub.

Scouts, pundits and fans anointed him as the top guy last summer – and in many cases seemingly decided that he would be the top guy in the rankings no matter what.

Well there is a “matter whatâ€â€¦a Finnish fellow named Patrik Laine that has more than a couple of scouts reminiscing about a fellow named Mario Lemieux. It was apparent at the U-20…was noticeable down the stretch in the SM-liiga regular season, and even more apparent during the playoffs – this kid is scary good, and the closest thing comparable to Mario since…..Mario.

“He looks like Mario when he’s carrying the puck,†noted one top scout during the U-20, and he wasn’t alone in that assertion. When asked for a comparison, Teemu Selanne brought up Lemieux as well, and McKeen’s chief amateur scout Grant McCagg was making the correlation between the two even before there were others echoing it…he first made the suggestion early on in the World juniors, and he hasn’t changed his mind. If anything it has only been reconfirmed.

“I can’t honestly recall scouting a forward over 6-4 with a skill set as similar to Mario’s as Laine’s,†says McCagg. “The way he creates space when he has the puck, his hands, his release, his shot, his vision…maybe he’s not quite at Mario’s level…but he’s not that far off. He’s a tier above Rick Nash at the same age…and as we know both Nash and Mario were first overall picks. I have a hard time thinking anyone should be drafted ahead of him even if I really like Matthews a lot…I see a future 50-goal NHL scorer, maybe a 60-goal guy. I don’t see that same upside with Matthews.â€

I am a big fan of Laine and think he would be perfect winger for either McDavid or Draisaitl.

In saying all of this, I really don't see the Oilers drafting in the top 3, I see them falling to the 5th selection. BUT we can't be down, after all what occurred last year......M-c-D-A-V-I-D. :handclap:

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

Pretty ridiculous article, Traikos is just cherry picking anything he can use to negatively reflect on the Oilers. It's not like its a new subject, it's really been beaten to death, the difference is that he shed any trace of subjectivity.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I don't think Chychrun improved his ppg much this year though did he?

It's pretty much the same - but he had the shoulder problems, and he's really only the good D that Sarnia has.

Juolevi has a slightly (not hugely) better scoring record or P/60 than Chychrun, in fewer minutes, but he plays on the stacked London Knights team.

Chychrun was PPG for the last 15(?) games of the regular season and in the playoffs, which is fairly significant I think.

I'd honestly take this guy at 3 behind Matthews and Laine.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
It's pretty much the same - but he had the shoulder problems, and he's really only the good D that Sarnia has.

Juolevi has a slightly (not hugely) better scoring record or P/60 than Chychrun, in fewer minutes, but he plays on the stacked London Knights team.

Chychrun was PPG for the last 15(?) games of the regular season and in the playoffs, which is fairly significant I think.

I'd honestly take this guy at 3 behind Matthews and Laine.

I would too, I havent really seen a scouting report I didnt like. Great skater, physical player, great size, great shot, dynamic and smart in offensive zone, great in D zone, two way D etc etc

Seems exact guy who will be a top pairing D. No holes but also possess great tools

Hockey Nightmare

Oct 25, 2007
Well that's what we need, more oilers with shoulder problems. In fact, let's draft this guy because he comes ready made with one.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond

Thanks, that was a decent breakdown of each player using the numbers that are available.

On the whole, while I agree that Laine is tracking to be the prospect with a higher ceiling right now, IMO anyone comparing him to be like Mario must not be remembering how stupid good Lemieux was compared to his peers.

Still, I would be over the moon to see the Oilers get Laine, regardless if he's a winger.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
3zg0TEM.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad