Prospect Info: 2016 Draft/ Lottery/ Prospect Discussion Thread (Lottery April 30th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Honestly I'm 100% happy with any pick from 1-5. If I could choose it would be Laine, in fact I would be so happy if we land #2.

Yeah I'm pretty calm about the result right now. That said, on the 30th I'm going to be so excited.

Funny thing is, last year I didn't care. The prize was so big, I just thought there was no way. I was fully expecting Hanifin to be an Oiler. But after Mac T's presser about another development year, I was disinterested.

Actually, I found out we won McDavid because a buddy of mine who is a Leafs man texted me "**** you!!!" I looked at the time, put 2 and 2 together and jumped out of my chair.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Honestly I'm 100% happy with any pick from 1-5. If I could choose it would be Laine, in fact I would be so happy if we land #2.

My preference with the top 3 picks is Matthews, Laine, Sergachev. Haven't seen Puljujarvi so I can't really comment wether he'd go before or after Sergachev for me.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
yeah, this is kinda what i'm thinking as well.... i know its "gamblers fallacy", but it just feels like the odds have to eventually catch up with us

it sure would be awesome to buck the odds once more though, lol

It's nice knowing we have the best prize in for sure 10 years, and maybe even 30 from last year.

This year I'm going in fully expecting to pick 5th. And if we do, we can get the best defensive prospect we've drafted in decades.

I wont consider 3rd or 4th much better, but if we happen to win a top 2 pick, sweet.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Not sure how we need Matthews more than Laine. Matthews plays almost the exact game

Watch his goals at 1:25, 2:25, 2:54. All snipes and all rival any of Laines.

Watch 3:30 for a great one. He does it all himself. Bulls ahead on faceoff, picks a hard shot thru a screen and follows it up in crease for the goal. He is a puck hound and gets a ton of goals in close. And this as a 17 year old against men. 24 goals in 36 games vs 17 in 46 for Laine

Laine has right handness going for him, but Matthews has a superior two way game and fact he can play center or wing.

Matthews is a bull on the ice like Hall, but has a better shot, better hands and vastly superior IQ. Hes like a mix of Hall, RNH and Eberle

No they really don't. Laine is in another league as a pure sniper IMO.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Even if so. Matthews is a better skater and plays both ends better. Plus teams might give us a 1D for a 1C. I don't think Laine does that.

That is why I want to win 1st. As exciting as these prospects are, a #1D makes this team a playoff contender without any changes (I still want changes).

Laine is just a really fun consolation prize if we win 2nd

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
That is why I want to win 1st. As exciting as these prospects are, a #1D makes this team a playoff contender without any changes (I still want changes).

Laine is just a really fun consolation prize if we win 2nd

Exactly. An early exit for the Blues and maybe they think about moving Petro for a 1c. Maybe Faulk wants out and the Canes jump on it.

Matthews give the team the most options. If we win again I will be very happy.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Even if so. Matthews is a better skater and plays both ends better. Plus teams might give us a 1D for a 1C. I don't think Laine does that.

If we're keeping the pick I want Laine. Perfect compliment to McDavid IMO. If we're trading the pick I want to win the lottery and deal the 1st OA for a 1D.

snowrunner*

Sep 15, 2006
Nope. I want #1 or #4. We either trade #1 for a stud dman, or we draft our own potential one at #4

at 4 the Oilers will not select a defensman...the will take Mathew Tkachuk....they could trade down from there but I don't see it

if kid is like his dad, me likey

MPStoEberletoHall*

at 4 the Oilers will not select a defensman...the will take Mathew Tkchuk....they could trade down from there but I don't see it

Hmm they would most likely taking Chychrun over Tkachuk

snowrunner*

Sep 15, 2006
Hmm they would most likely taking Chychrun over Tkachuk

I haven't seen that...in every draft rating Ive seen Tkachuk is the 4th rated player, can't see Chiarelli going off the board to take Chychrun....we have plenty of left shot dman..if they go that way, they would trade down

MPStoEberletoHall*

I haven't seen that...in every draft rating Ive seen Tkachuk is the 4th rated player, can't see Chiarelli going off the board to take Chychrun....we have plenty of left shot dman..if they go that way, they would trade down

Chychrun has the potential to be the #1 we have been wanting since Pronger left. We currently don't have anyone like him.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

Tkachuk is being ranked anywhere from 4-7. Honestly can't imagine us picking him over Chychrun.

If a winger is ranked in the 4-7 range and the top dman in the draft is ranked in the 4-7 range then what do you REALLY think happens?

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
Actually, I found out we won McDavid because a buddy of mine who is a Leafs man texted me "**** you!!!" I looked at the time, put 2 and 2 together and jumped out of my chair.

This is the identical to how I found out. Friend who's a Leafs fan, the exact same text. I couldn't believe it.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Most dont even have him as the 4th rated forward anymore. Many would take Dubois over him.

I think we take a D at 4

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
This is the identical to how I found out. Friend who's a Leafs fan, the exact same text. I couldn't believe it.

:laugh:

I actually had a dream last night that they were doing the draft lottery at ACC. Thousands of us showed up chanting "We want one more!" and it started to cause brawls with Leaf fans.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
at 4 the Oilers will not select a defensman...the will take Mathew Tkachuk....they could trade down from there but I don't see it

if kid is like his dad, me likey

Matthew is 6'1" and 194lbs. His dad was 6'2" and 235lbs. If you want to play the way his dad did in the NHL the difference in size is a huge factor.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Yeah I'm pretty calm about the result right now. That said, on the 30th I'm going to be so excited.

Funny thing is, last year I didn't care. The prize was so big, I just thought there was no way. I was fully expecting Hanifin to be an Oiler. But after Mac T's presser about another development year, I was disinterested.

lol i was packed in a truck going from one arena to another and my phone was blowing up. it was so tight i couldnt check but when i go out i was all "i thijnk the oilers wont he lottery" like 7 messages **** you, **** the oilers etc etc so awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad