Prospect Info: 2016 Draft/ Lottery/ Prospect Discussion Thread (Lottery April 30th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Instead of potentially giving up our 2nd to Boston, should trade our 2nd to whoever comes out of the east and give that to Boston, **** that organization

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Anyone of Matthews, Laine, Pulju, Chychrun or Dubois is fine with me.

Looking forward to many more of these than anything

:laugh::laugh:

Oilception

Oct 11, 2012
St. Albert
Im really hoping we stay at least top 4.

Personally I really want 1 of Matthews, Laine, Pulju and Chychrun. I know Chychrun might slip to 5 but I don't want to take the chance

So if we dont win the draft lottery Im really hoping Toronto does.

As well ABC (Anyone but Calgary)

suddeninterest

Aug 19, 2014
Instead of potentially giving up our 2nd to Boston, should trade our 2nd to whoever comes out of the east and give that to Boston, **** that organization

Yeah I'm not really sure how that works because I've heard you can give a team any pick as long as its in the required round, and I've also heard that the other team has to agree to receiving a pick that's not our original owned pick. So I think technically Boston could say that they would rather our 2017 2nd if they think it'll be significantly higher than another team's 2nd from this year (say 58th overall). Personally when it comes to 2nd and 3rd rounders there usually isn't a huge difference between 40-80 unless someone really falls. 58th in 2016 will probably be ready faster than 46th in 2017.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Laine is the first goal scoring prospect from Finland that is in the Selanne/Kurri category.

Read a post saying along the lines of Yakupov being similar level goal scorer at the same age, I'd say no, and it should become evident by just watching some games: You just don't see that generational shot in Yakupov's toolbox. Yes, he had a great shot for a junior, but Laine has a great shot for a professional hockey player and a considerably better release.

it's a bit hard comparing the two since Laine has played pro, but for example Laine had a higher GPG in WJC20 than Yakupov in WJC18 at age 17

Comparing only WJC20 goal scoring Laine as at least a year younger has

GPG in U20 1.00GPG (17yo) vs Yakupov's 0.21GPG (18yo+19yo)

That's almost five times higher goals per game average as at least a year younger. So even if Laine attended two more WJC tournaments, to which he actually will be eligible, and didn't score one goal, after 21 games, he'd still have 50% higher GPG average than Yakupov while having played on average a half a year younger.

On top of that, as far as their size goes, Laine is 6'4 210lbs vs Yakupov 5'11 190lbs (won't bother looking up his size at age 17). Laine's size is a big factor in projecting his translatability.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Back on topic.

These are how I have the players ranked for us:
1. Matthews/Laine
2. Laine/Matthews
3. Chychrun
4. Dubois
5. Pulju

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If it's our team, I would say Laine is ahead of Matthews just because he's a right shot sniper. It's harder to pencil in Matthews. We're at the point in our rebuild where we have to fill the gaps in the roster, and that's more important than BPA

If the issue is trade value, Matthews has more, but if that's the tact we're taking then we aren't drafting him anyway and are just trading the pick, maybe to move down to #2 and maybe pick up a good asset out of it.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
If it's our team, I would say Laine is ahead of Matthews just because he's a right shot sniper. It's harder to pencil in Matthews. We're at the point in our rebuild where we have to fill the gaps in the roster, and that's more important than BPA

If the issue is trade value, Matthews has more, but if that's the tact we're taking then we aren't drafting him anyway and are just trading the pick, maybe to move down to #2 and maybe pick up a good asset out of it.

You can also draft Matthews and trade RNH, Yak and Pou for defense and use the cap space to sign Backes

MPStoEberletoHall*

1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujarvi
4. Tkachuk
5. Dubois

And that's probably it, assuming we're trading some soft skill for a useful RD.

And I fully expect the pick to make the team out of camp. Plenty of room on RW.
Yuck

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
If only Chychrun was a RHD. Would have solved a huge problem. Still wouldn't mind selecting him and trading Nurse/Reinhart.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You can also draft Matthews and trade RNH, Yak and Pou for defense and use the cap space to sign Backes

RNH is already a problem though. We have Hall, Pouliot and Maroon all as good candidates for top six RW, and likely it is set as Maroon and Hall, with Pouliot falling to the 3rd line which is okay but he is trade bait. RNH is a left shot, and I really don't think we should be putting players on their off wing if we want everyone to play to their potential.

At center, it should be McDavid and Drai in the top six. They are a good complementary tandem. Like you, I don't want RNH as 3C, and it's because I don't think it gives him a good chance to succeed, and he should be in a checking role. So even without Matthews we're still lined up for a major trade around RNH, and trading him doesn't open up a spot for Matthews

MPStoEberletoHall*

Imagine the video's when we take 1st from them this time around, last time we didnt even take it from them.

I honestly don't even care if we get 1st. I'll be thrilled as long as the Leafs don't get it. So sick of that fanbase and their b******* media.

This may sound weird.... but I'd rather the Flames or Canucks win it rather than the Leafs.......

What did I just say.... give the Leafs Puljujarvi. I want Laine or Chychrun

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I honestly don't even care if we get 1st. I'll be thrilled as long as the Leafs don't get it. So sick of that fanbase and their b******* media.

This may sound weird.... but I'd rather the Flames or Canucks win it rather than the Leafs.......

What did I just say.... give the Leafs Puljujarvi. I want Laine or Chychrun

A bit before but certainly ever since McDavid I hate the Leafs fan base, team, and management. I really believe they are just getting a healthy dose of karma for just being douchy.

They are putting together one of the biggest tanks of all time and half them just wont admit it. Comming in last was celebrated universally. I find that sickening.

After all that, seeing them lose the Draft would be awesome.

But.

I want the Oilers to make the playoffs ASAP and as long as possible. Mathews or even Laine need to be as far away from our divisional and conference rivals as possible to improve our chances.

Perfect world Edmonton and Columbus finish first or second. Followed by the Leafs or xxx eastern conference team. Push our divisional rivals down and keep Toronto deservedly salty.

MPStoEberletoHall*

I see Ethan Bear is having a good game tonight :)

I have high hopes for this kid. I think he will be a PP QB for us in the future.

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
re:compensatory 2nd round pick to Boston for PC

does any poster know exactly how this 2nd round pick in 2016 or 2017 to Boston at Edmonton's choice works??? ie does it have to be Edmonton's pick, or can it be one that Edmonton acquires from another team???

certainly if it has to be Edmonton's own 2nd round pick, the best option is to wait under 2017 and transfer the pick to Boston in that year. The pick this year 2016 would be #31 overall.

vincent1999

May 5, 2014
does any poster know exactly how this 2nd round pick in 2016 or 2017 to Boston at Edmonton's choice works??? ie does it have to be Edmonton's pick, or can it be one that Edmonton acquires from another team???

certainly if it has to be Edmonton's own 2nd round pick, the best option is to wait under 2017 and transfer the pick to Boston in that year. The pick this year 2016 would be #31 overall.

oops #32 this year actually

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

It can be any 2nd round pick this year or the next. Last year the Oilers sent the Sharks the Blues 3rd rounder (they had from the Paajarvi/Perron trade) for compensation for McLellan.

It might make some sense to package up the 62 this year along with something like a 5th rounder to move up to the very bottom of the 2nd round and send that to the Bruins for Chiarelli.

Probably depends if there is someone the Oilers really like that they think they can grab with that pick.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland

If Oilers get 1st overall pick there's chance Oilers will pass Matthews ( You have McDavid for your franchise Center) and take Laine 1st overall.
Craig Button said in iltasanomat ( Finnish afternoon journal) Laine's only chance to be 1st overall pick is that Oilers will pick him instead of Matthews.

Hoogaar23

Apr 13, 2011
If Oilers get 1st overall pick there's chance Oilers will pass Matthews ( You have McDavid for your franchise Center) and take Laine 1st overall.
Craig Button said in iltasanomat ( Finnish afternoon journal) Laine's only chance to be 1st overall pick is that Oilers will pick him instead of Matthews.

I think there is next to no chance of Matthews not being picked 1st. The only way he wouldn't get picked 1st would be some crazy Bouwmeester type draft day deal, and I don't see those happening in this day and age.

nally

When you have something to say, silence is a lie
Sponsor
Nov 8, 2004
London, Ontario
www.Directdial.com
Matthews
Laine
Chychrun
Sergachyov
Dubois

Still hoping to trade the pick though.

This is the list as I have it as well...Man I wish one of those dmen were right handed.
I'm torn between the last 3.

But yes...trade the pick...ONLY if its for good value. Not JUST to get a second pairing dman. We should be able to do that using other assets. Top pairing? different story...use it all day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad